Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Right, basically I have been revising currently for my GCSE's and I generally revise like a school timetable; different subjects for an hour or so with a 15 minute break. I can generally do three subjects a day.
    However I feel like i'm going too slow a pace. You see, i'm a slow reviser. Tiny little topics, take the full hour, maybe even more. There's a positive side, in that I do revise fully and fully understand whats going on, but I want to finish revising the spec by the end of this month and bash out past paper questions in April

I am still on the first topic for every subject. :afraid::ahhhhh::bawling: What i want to know is, is bashing out a subject till you finish the content effective revision? Right now I'm panicking, and I feel like panicking is much worse than not revising for a subject because at least my mind is occupied. I don't think I will finish by the end of this month. Maybe even the two months at this rate

I just need advice. Whats more effective, bashing a subject out till you learn content, then PPQ it, or doing subjects in a varying manner but miss on on PPQ's (and eventually, exam technique which is very important)

ReputationRep:
    well ****

ReputationRep:
    I 'bashed out' a different subject per day. I know some people do that timetable thing but I could never restrict myself and I hated moving onto another subject if I felt that I hadn't done a sufficient amount for the subject I was already doing.

So for example I would do Monday-biology, Tuesday-chemistry, Wednesday-physics, Thursday-maths, Friday-geography etc. this way I had a good amount of time for each subject but kept it varied enough to cover enough material.

As for how to revise, I always made notes first and then practiced past paper questions/exam technique.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mesopotamian.)
    I 'bashed out' a different subject per day. I know some people do that timetable thing but I could never restrict myself and I hated moving onto another subject if I felt that I hadn't done a sufficient amount for the subject I was already doing.

So for example I would do Monday-biology, Tuesday-chemistry, Wednesday-physics, Thursday-maths, Friday-geography etc. this way I had a good amount of time for each subject but kept it varied enough to cover enough material.

As for how to revise, I always made notes first and then practiced past paper questions/exam technique.
    Thanks man, I might just do this
    Just a note, I took 11 GCSE's, how will I be able to fit that when theirs only 7 days? Should I prioritise the core subjects first (give them more hours) then the options?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc_miah)
    Thanks man, I might just do this
    Just a note, I took 11 GCSE's, how will I be able to fit that when theirs only 7 days? Should I prioritise the core subjects first (give them more hours) then the options?
    Yeah so I did 10 GSCEs in year 11, personally for me I didn't actually revise for English lit or Lang because I was just good at it naturally - I just went over key concepts in the Easter holidays and looked at mark scheme bands the night before exams.

Obviously don't do this if you're not so strong at English but the point being maybe identify those subjects that have a lot of knowledge to be learned like science for example or subjects you're weaker at and make sure you make a slot for them weekly. For RS (if you do it) and English, if you're fairly good at them, they don't need as much time (since you basically make up stuff on the day) except the odd past paper question and just going over quotes so you can prioritise other subjects over them (so you don't have to slot them in every week).

Hope this helps

Edit: don't feel like you need to make a timetable and stick to it - I literally just woke up every morning and decided what to revise there and then
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.