Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Try telling that to those with belief structures that say they do.
    I'm not saying they can't have one, they can worship however they like as far as I'm concerned. I just don't personally believe churches, mosques, temples are necessary in order to follow a religion.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    I'm not saying they can't have one, they can worship however they like as far as I'm concerned. I just don't personally believe churches, mosques, temples are necessary in order to follow a religion.
    They are necessary if your religious beliefs mandate it, this bill harms freedom of religion basically out of bigotry, it assumes that the foreign state funding automatically means there will be dodgy things, it does not require evidence that the funding poses a threat.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    They are necessary if your religious beliefs mandate it, this bill harms freedom of religion basically out of bigotry, it assumes that the foreign state funding automatically means there will be dodgy things, it does not require evidence that the funding poses a threat.
    I can't speak for the proposers of the bill, or it's other supporters, but that's certainly not why I back it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I can't speak for the proposers of the bill, or it's other supporters, but that's certainly not why I back it.
    The bigotry bit? I'm sure that isn't your reason, but the bill still runs contrary to your alleged belief in freedom on religion.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    The bigotry bit? I'm sure that isn't your reason, but the bill still runs contrary to your alleged belief in freedom on religion.
    Not at all. The only restriction of freedom is the optional sources of funding are reduced. This isn't intended (from what I can tell) to restrict people's freedom to worship in any way.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Not at all. The only restriction of freedom is the optional sources of funding are reduced. This isn't intended (from what I can tell) to restrict people's freedom to worship in any way.
    However that could end up being a consequence, again, based on assumption.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    However that could end up being a consequence, again, based on assumption.
    And since I'm not one for assumptions, I'm not going to oppose the bill based on that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Nay. I don't see what benefit this brings.
    This bill is needed to tackle the issue of mosques being funded by foreign entities, in many cases, to promote and incite extremist Islamism in the UK, such as Jihad and Wahhabism.

(Original post by Connor27)
    Nay, this arguably attacks freedom of religion, a key principle of our free western civilisation.
    It does not attack freedom of religion we are not restricting religion. This bill aims to have mosques to declare the income sources. If they are being funded by a foreign entity they should be shut down since there's a high chance they are indoctrining people into terrorist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr T 999)
    This bill is needed to tackle the issue of mosques being funded by foreign entities, in many cases, to promote and incite extremist Islamism in the UK, such as Jihad and Wahhabism.
    Do you have any evidence that foreign sovereign bodies attempt to promote Islamic extremism in the UK? Sounds like scaremongering ******** to me.

ReputationRep:
    It shouldn't just be mosques
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I understand what this bill is trying to do and see the case for this, but ultimately it'll do very little to fight back against terrorism in the United Kingdom. Religious extremists will always find ways around legislation. As mentioned by others, I do not believe sacrificing values of freedom of religion is a price worth paying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr T 999)

It does not attack freedom of religion we are not restricting religion. This bill aims to have mosques to declare the income sources. If they are being funded by a foreign entity they should be shut down since there's a high chance they are indoctrining people into terrorist.
    Hear, hear! It is not an attack on religion. If they want to practice their religious beliefs, then don't be funded by foreign entities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saunders16)
    I understand what this bill is trying to do and see the case for this, but ultimately it'll do very little to fight back against terrorism in the United Kingdom. Religious extremists will always find ways around legislation. As mentioned by others, I do not believe sacrificing values of freedom of religion is a price worth paying.
    Freedom of religion is not being sacrificed. Places of worship may operate as long as they are not funded by foreign entities.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Saunders16)
    Religious extremists will always find ways around legislation.
    How will they find their way around this?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    And since I'm not one for assumptions, I'm not going to oppose the bill based on that.
    wut? You support a bill that closes places of worship on the assumption that foreign funding means they're a threat, and you claim your support is based on not being one for assumptions
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by CoffeeGeek)
    How will they find their way around this?
    Simple, the government directs the funds via an NGO, hardly s complex concept, even for you
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    on the assumption that foreign funding means they're a threat
    That is not the reason I'm supporting this.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    That is not the reason I'm supporting this.
    What is, and explain how it's compatible with your alleged belief in freedom of religion?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    What is, and explain how it's compatible with your alleged belief in freedom of religion?
    I don't support organised religion. I think it's logical for me to support something that restricts funding options to organised religions. People can still have freedom of religion, and as far as I'm concerned this doesn't change that. If people wish to attend a place of worship funded by another country, they are not prevented from leaving this country for religious purposes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Do you have any evidence that foreign sovereign bodies attempt to promote Islamic extremism in the UK? Sounds like scaremongering ******** to me.
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.a...cs-vs-evidence

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 12, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.