Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The report being discussed says this:

"Given that there is a clear lack of information and understanding about this subject, both among policy makers and the public, the government should start to address this issue by launching an official and public inquiry into the subject."

I think a motion calling on this Government to launch such an inquiry is more justified than creating a bill without conclusive evidence.

ReputationRep:
    Will the National Conservatives withdraw this bill immediately as your own sources tell us that there is a lack of information on the subject?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conceited)
    Will the National Conservatives withdraw this bill immediately as your own sources tell us that there is a lack of information on the subject?
    No we will not I double checked the article and I can't find the quote you posted above??

" The HJS reports concludes with recommendations for the British government to address foreign funded Islamist extremist in the UK by launching a public inquiry to address the lack of information and data on the topic, and implement policies to counter this phenomenon. This might include requiring transparency in funding or blocking some funding altogether.

The government's study was commissioned by former Prime Minister David Cameron in November 2015, and was conducted by the Home Office. Opponents have criticised Theresa May's government for concealing the report in order to protect business relations with Saudi Arabia. "

The government are not going to release the full report due to national security concerns. However the report also suggests transparency of funding which is what this bill does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr T 999)
    No we will not I double checked the article and I can't find the quote you posted above??

" The HJS reports concludes with recommendations for the British government to address foreign funded Islamist extremist in the UK by launching a public inquiry to address the lack of information and data on the topic, and implement policies to counter this phenomenon. This might include requiring transparency in funding or blocking some funding altogether.

The government's study was commissioned by former Prime Minister David Cameron in November 2015, and was conducted by the Home Office. Opponents have criticised Theresa May's government for concealing the report in order to protect business relations with Saudi Arabia. "

The government are not going to release the full report due to national security concerns. However the report also suggests transparency of funding which is what this bill does.
    Forget the report in the link you somehow managed to miss, you reflect the fact that there is a lack of information of the subject right here, "... ...to address the lack of information and data on the topic... ..."

Will you be withdrawing the bill?

ReputationRep:
    Forget the report in the link you somehow managed to miss, you reflect the fact that there is a lack of information of the subject right here, "... ...to address the lack of information and data on the topic... ..."

Will you be withdrawing the bill?
    It also mentions right after to implement policies to counter this i.e transparency of funding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr T 999)
    It also mentions right after to implement policies to counter this i.e transparency of funding.
    It suggests such policies after an inquiry to explore the topic as there is a 'lack of information' on it.

ReputationRep:
    It suggests such policies after an inquiry to explore the topic as there is a 'lack of information' on it.
    There's little point in a public inquiry I doubt the government are going to release any information on this topic. It's quite obvious some mosques are being funded by Saudi Arabia and promoting extremism.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    I don't support organised religion. I think it's logical for me to support something that restricts funding options to organised religions. People can still have freedom of religion, and as far as I'm concerned this doesn't change that. If people wish to attend a place of worship funded by another country, they are not prevented from leaving this country for religious purposes.
    This is the thing, trying to stamp out organised religion is in no way compatible with freedom of religion, that freedom necessarily includes organised religion, especially given that we're looking at probably 99% of the religious population believe in some form of organised religion. I also think it absurd that you seem to suggest that it is more reasonable for the religious to travel abroad on a regular basis (depending on the religion that could be daily) than to allow places of worship in the UK.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    This is the thing, trying to stamp out organised religion is in no way compatible with freedom of religion, that freedom necessarily includes organised religion, especially given that we're looking at probably 99% of the religious population believe in some form of organised religion. I also think it absurd that you seem to suggest that it is more reasonable for the religious to travel abroad on a regular basis (depending on the religion that could be daily) than to allow places of worship in the UK.
    Woah woah woah. I said nothing about trying to stamp it out.

I never said it's more reasonable. I said it's largely possible.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Nobody seeks to stamp it out, or to ban places of worship. All this bill seeks is to remove foreign financial influence on religion in the UK.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    This has gone to a second reading

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 12, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.