Turn on thread page Beta

Feeling so depressed, sad and a failure.. watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I'm just feeling so sad, depressed and a total failure after being rejected by most of my Uni. I'm I really that bad?

At first I have applied for Primary Education, but after my interview, I no longer have interest for wanting to pursue this course anymore - Then, this rejected me. Which was fine, but I was kind of depress since I've got rejected. Then I've decided swap my courses and instead pursue in Fine Art - All of my teachers can see that I'm a really motivated and passionate person when it comes to art, and my teachers all have confidence for my portfolio. I had my interview just this Wednesday, we all had a great time and I did quite well on my interview. However, when I have received my feedback - I unfortunately got rejected... I honestly don't even know what i should do now... It really makes me really sad and upset. This said that my portfolio wasn't up to good standards? - I am again that bad...

Sorry, I know I'm being quite stupid for crying over this... But I'm just really upset...

Thanks for reading. I hope you can help me?

What should I even do now? It's literally game over...
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by HoneyDew.Melon)
    Hi everyone,

I'm just feeling so sad, depressed and a total failure after being rejected by most of my Uni. I'm I really that bad?

At first I have applied for Primary Education, but after my interview, I no longer have interest for wanting to pursue this course anymore - Then, this rejected me. Which was fine, but I was kind of depress since I've got rejected. Then I've decided swap my courses and instead pursue in Fine Art - All of my teachers can see that I'm a really motivated and passionate person when it comes to art, and my teachers all have confidence for my portfolio. I had my interview just this Wednesday, we all had a great time and I did quite well on my interview. However, when I have received my feedback - I unfortunately got rejected... I honestly don't even know what i should do now... It really makes me really sad and upset. This said that my portfolio wasn't up to good standards? - I am again that bad...

Sorry, I know I'm being quite stupid for crying over this... But I'm just really upset...

I'm sorry you've experienced the rejection. University courses are competitive and art judgement is subjective. Just because you didn't have success at that University, doesn't mean that you won't elsewhere. Do you have any other places? Worst case, can you take a year out? It isn't that uncommon also for students to do a foundation degree in art and design to bridge the gap between A-levels and degree so it may just be that you've not enough experience.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

Hello. I am in the same situation as you except for post-grad. I got rejected by all my choices and also feel depressed about it. However, I'm going to keep trying and you should too. It is only over when you give up

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

Hey,
    Just as a little bit of background, I'm a postgrad with 3 degrees under my belt now.

First off: I keep all of my rejection letters in a little box. It's a great little earthing tool for me and also, whenever I accomplish something new, it's nice to think that there's a little box full of people who should be feeling pretty stupid right about now. There's quite a few in there... but I'm not sure I have any of my acceptance letters anymore.

In terms of your own situation, I think the first thing you need to be doing is cooling off, taking a deep breath and figuring out what it is you would actually like to study (if indeed, anything). Spend some time with some prospectuses and guides, as well as have a real think about what it is you would like to achieve by going to university. Is it just for the experience? Or is this the first step in a career?

If this is a career decision then you need to figure out what this career is supposed to accomplish for you: personal satisfaction, financial security, the opportunity to do some good for other people... These are all things that motivate people to choose certain jobs. Find out which one is most important to you and then think about which degrees/jobs will offer that to you.

Once you think you've found it, then find someone who is already doing it and ask them a whole bunch of really stupid, boring questions about what that life is like. People love talking about themselves and how great/important their job is.

But above all else - chill out. There's plenty of time to make decisions, to change directions and to figure it all out. It will be fine. The only thing making it stressful is the pressure you're putting on yourself.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Hey don't worry man. If you haven't got where you wanted this year then use your rejection as motivation. Take a gap year and use it to better yourself. Go do some other stuff which will look good on your personal statement, get a job and make some money, maybe even retake an A-Level if you don't get the grades you want. Come back next year and try again. This time you'll know what grades you have, meaning if you still want to go to uni then you'll know where you can realistically apply. Uni's are perfectly happy to give offers to people who already have their grades as they know what they're getting. It may be you find something you really enjoy in your year off and choose not to go to uni at all. Good luck ^-^

ReputationRep:
    Uh of course it's not game over!!! I was rejected by 4 /5 universities last year and I declined my only offr after results day bc I decided to go for something better i retook a subject and here I am again replying for a second time. I didnt know of this but there are soo many people that retake their exams, i did the ib, i know a person that is about to take an ib exam for the third time. Nothing is over everything just starts now. I'm not saying that you'll take a gap year, but if you do i did and it wasnt in my plans at all, you'll realize that it is an amazing opportunity to better your qualifications and volunteer, that's what im doing now. It can be rough at first but gap year doesnt mean failure. I didnt have the money to do internships etc neither have i been able to find work but at least this year has been so calm and ive enjoyed hitting on the brakes after pushing myself these last two years. It's never over, life will be full of small bumps but you'll need to troobleshoot everything with a collected and positive mind. I cant tell you how life changing this challenge has been for me, and if i went back in time i wouldnt regret my decision even though in the beginning i was very anxious and insecure and hurt by the stigma that comes along with the word gap year, but i shouldnt ever have felt like that bc life is too short to be sad and miserable. Pls message me, i've all too well felt these feelings but i couldnt be happier now. It's just a dark cloud that will quickly be blown away by the wind. At the moment nothing is over you have plenty of options such as adding an extra subject on ucas or apply to a different country. You have load of options so sit down and think about everything, so convert the time that you spend feeling disappointed into productive work. Good luck, and remember everything happens for a reason!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the Arcane)
    I'm sorry you've experienced the rejection. University courses are competitive and art judgement is subjective. Just because you didn't have success at that University, doesn't mean that you won't elsewhere. Do you have any other places? Worst case, can you take a year out? It isn't that uncommon also for students to do a foundation degree in art and design to bridge the gap between A-levels and degree so it may just be that you've not enough experience.
    Hey, thanks! I know, honestly I'm just over depressed and sad because it was the same University that had rejected me twice, over 2 courses I have applied there - I just honestly think that me and that University literally have NO GOOD TERMS between each other, I swear...

Fortunately, Yes, I do have other places. I'm just going to keep my head down and keep continuing to work my way. Finger-crossed I will get an offer.

Yes, I did have a look through their foundations degrees in college, however, I'm not really keen?

Thank you. Thank you very much for your support and your wise words!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lastone123)
    Hello. I am in the same situation as you except for post-grad. I got rejected by all my choices and also feel depressed about it. However, I'm going to keep trying and you should too. It is only over when you give up
    Thank you very much. I appreciated your wise words. Of course, I will ALWAYS keep on trying and NEVER EVER give up! I will continue to put my head down and work until the very end... Thank you again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johnathan94)
    Hey,
    Just as a little bit of background, I'm a postgrad with 3 degrees under my belt now.

First off: I keep all of my rejection letters in a little box. It's a great little earthing tool for me and also, whenever I accomplish something new, it's nice to think that there's a little box full of people who should be feeling pretty stupid right about now. There's quite a few in there... but I'm not sure I have any of my acceptance letters anymore.

In terms of your own situation, I think the first thing you need to be doing is cooling off, taking a deep breath and figuring out what it is you would actually like to study (if indeed, anything). Spend some time with some prospectuses and guides, as well as have a real think about what it is you would like to achieve by going to university. Is it just for the experience? Or is this the first step in a career?

If this is a career decision then you need to figure out what this career is supposed to accomplish for you: personal satisfaction, financial security, the opportunity to do some good for other people... These are all things that motivate people to choose certain jobs. Find out which one is most important to you and then think about which degrees/jobs will offer that to you.

Once you think you've found it, then find someone who is already doing it and ask them a whole bunch of really stupid, boring questions about what that life is like. People love talking about themselves and how great/important their job is.

But above all else - chill out. There's plenty of time to make decisions, to change directions and to figure it all out. It will be fine. The only thing making it stressful is the pressure you're putting on yourself.

Good luck.
    Hello there. Thank you very much! Wow! It seems you experienced quite a lot in your life. Thank you. What you have told me has definitely made me a lot more calmer and not feeling as depressed as I was before. Yes, Art or Fine Art is a course I am looking forward to do, not only for my career, but also for my passion. Thank you. I appreciated your help, support and your wise words. I will continue to out my head down and work until the very end. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shhoxie)
    Hey don't worry man. If you haven't got where you wanted this year then use your rejection as motivation. Take a gap year and use it to better yourself. Go do some other stuff which will look good on your personal statement, get a job and make some money, maybe even retake an A-Level if you don't get the grades you want. Come back next year and try again. This time you'll know what grades you have, meaning if you still want to go to uni then you'll know where you can realistically apply. Uni's are perfectly happy to give offers to people who already have their grades as they know what they're getting. It may be you find something you really enjoy in your year off and choose not to go to uni at all. Good luck ^-^
    Hey there. Thank you. I will only become stronger as I will use my rejection as my motivation. I love your wise deep meanings. Thank you. I appreciated your help and support. Thank you again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everyusername12)
    Uh of course it's not game over!!! I was rejected by 4 /5 universities last year and I declined my only offr after results day bc I decided to go for something better i retook a subject and here I am again replying for a second time. I didnt know of this but there are soo many people that retake their exams, i did the ib, i know a person that is about to take an ib exam for the third time. Nothing is over everything just starts now. I'm not saying that you'll take a gap year, but if you do i did and it wasnt in my plans at all, you'll realize that it is an amazing opportunity to better your qualifications and volunteer, that's what im doing now. It can be rough at first but gap year doesnt mean failure. I didnt have the money to do internships etc neither have i been able to find work but at least this year has been so calm and ive enjoyed hitting on the brakes after pushing myself these last two years. It's never over, life will be full of small bumps but you'll need to troobleshoot everything with a collected and positive mind. I cant tell you how life changing this challenge has been for me, and if i went back in time i wouldnt regret my decision even though in the beginning i was very anxious and insecure and hurt by the stigma that comes along with the word gap year, but i shouldnt ever have felt like that bc life is too short to be sad and miserable. Pls message me, i've all too well felt these feelings but i couldnt be happier now. It's just a dark cloud that will quickly be blown away by the wind. At the moment nothing is over you have plenty of options such as adding an extra subject on ucas or apply to a different country. You have load of options so sit down and think about everything, so convert the time that you spend feeling disappointed into productive work. Good luck, and remember everything happens for a reason!
    Hey, there! Thank you so much for your help and your advice. It has definitely made me feel a lot better and much calmer. Your very right about taking a Gap Year, however, I'm not very keen, and this maybe the reason why I feel taking a Gap Year means a 'Failure', which of course is not. Thank you, I will message you soon, so please keep an eye on your notifications! Thank you! I guess you're right. Everything happens for a reason! And this rejection may have been a reason why?! Thank you again.

ReputationRep:
    Hello there. Thank you very much! Wow! It seems you experienced quite a lot in your life. Thank you. What you have told me has definitely made me a lot more calmer and not feeling as depressed as I was before. Yes, Art or Fine Art is a course I am looking forward to do, not only for my career, but also for my passion. Thank you. I appreciated your help, support and your wise words. I will continue to out my head down and work until the very end. Thank you.
    I'm happy to hear that

If I can help out with anything like personal statements or just a little advice, then feel free to PM me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johnathan94)
    I'm happy to hear that

If I can help out with anything like personal statements or just a little advice, then feel free to PM me!
    Hey, thank you again! I will do!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 12, 2018
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.