Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I’ve narrowed it down to five:

Edinburgh (this is a definite)
    RVC (pretty sure this is on here too, just worried about living in London)
    Liverpool
    Nottingham
    Cambridge

Here’s my pros and cons for each:

Liverpool-
    Pros: option for year abroad, good nightlife, not a campus university, great facilities, good mix of practical and theory

Cons: may have slight equine bias, too close to home

Nottingham-
    Pros: the lowest grades (AAB) out of my choices, brilliant facilities, practical course

Cons: campus university and not on main campus, maybe too practical??

Cambridge-
    Pros: vet school in the city, community feel, science focus, beautiful location, college system means you mix with other non vet students

Cons: high grades, maybe too theoretical, maybe too insular

So can anyone give me any more pros/cons of each? I saw the thread where LTC gave details on her RVC experiences compared to Cambridge, but can anyone see anything I’ve missed? Obviously I need to bump one off, but I have no clue which!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stimtothesky)

Liverpool
    Nottingham
    Cambridge

Liverpool-
    Pros: option for year abroad, good nightlife, not a campus university, great facilities, good mix of practical and theory

Nottingham-
    Pros: the lowest grades (AAB) out of my choices, brilliant facilities, practical course

Cambridge-
    Pros: vet school in the city, community feel, science focus, beautiful location, college system means you mix with other non vet students

So can anyone give me any more pros/cons of each? I saw the thread where LTC gave details on her RVC experiences compared to Cambridge, but can anyone see anything I’ve missed? Obviously I need to bump one off, but I have no clue which!
    Nottingham is very Campus orrientated. You'll be on the Sutton bonnington campus which is about half an hour away from the Main Campus. So you'll be on the Campus with all the other Vet students, so you won't really get to mix with any other students unless you make the trip to main campus. Also you'll spend all 5 years at the same campus, so there isn't a whole lot of variety. Nottingham also don't have their own hospital unlike somewhere like Liverpool, although they are closely associated with some nearby private hospitals and centres. Also the City of nottingham, and I mean no offence to anyone who is from or lives there, but when I had a look around it didn't seem like the nicest or cleanest place in the world and there wasn't much there. Hence why all the Uni stuff is on Campus, rather than integrated with the city. Thats quite a negative view I know, but that was how I felt about nottingham and the impression I got when I went to the open day and interview day.

ReputationRep:
    Just to give an insight: I came to Liverpool and I am far from a fan of horses, there has been no equine bias at all here - it may have the bet equine hospital in europe but it is very fairly distributed.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Have you been able to get to any open days? A lot of them will be coming up either in summer or in September and they can be a good way to get a feel for whether you like a place or not

As usual I'm all ears for questions about RVC. What exactly worries you about living in London?

ReputationRep:

Liverpool
    Nottingham
    Cambridge

Liverpool-

Nottingham-

Cambridge-

If you can apply to Cambridge, I’m sure you can apply to better alternatives ( UCL, Durham, St Andrews etc) rather than Liverpool or Nottingham
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by SherlockD)
    If you can apply to Cambridge, I’m sure you can apply to better alternatives ( UCL, Durham, St Andrews etc) rather than Liverpool or Nottingham
    Can't say I've heard much about any of the 'better' universities' plans to open veterinary schools.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
    Have you been able to get to any open days? A lot of them will be coming up either in summer or in September and they can be a good way to get a feel for whether you like a place or not

As usual I'm all ears for questions about RVC. What exactly worries you about living in London?
    I’m heading up to RVC in May for their open day.

I guess safety and the fact that I live in a very small city now so I worry I wouldn’t be able to adjust. I’ve spent time in London as my mum grew up there but I’m sure it’s a very different experience to live there. I’m also concerned about the class sizes- they have the biggest intake by far- how big are your lectures etc normally?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SherlockD)
    You’re in a vet med thread. There are 8 (or 9, depending on if you count UCD) universities in the UK offering vet med. Liverpool is a very good university for this course, as is Nottingham.

UCL is linked to RVC. Your other ‘better alternatives’ don’t offer vet courses. Just shows that you shouldn’t look at a university’s overall reputation, but it’s reputation for your course.

ReputationRep:
    You might think being close to home is bad now, but it's a pain in the ass to go back for Christmas and Summer if you live far away. The one thing I hated the most about my uni experience were the long and pricey journeys home.

ReputationRep:
    I think Cambridge is good for those who want a research or academic based career but if you think your destiny lies in first opinion practice I wouldn't recommend it as their graduates are often not very practical in my opinion.

Liverpool
    Nottingham
    Cambridge

Liverpool-

Nottingham-

Cambridge-

ReputationRep:
    Have you applied?
    Are you applying? If you're applying, you'll find out throughout the application process which one you'd end up prefering-plus you may not get offers from all which would narrow it down

Also vet med is extremely competitive(more so than medicine I'd say), so you probably wouldn't get offers from all of them....can you apply to all 5 or is it 4?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AzureCeleste)
    Have you applied?
    Are you applying? If you're applying, you'll find out throughout the application process which one you'd end up prefering-plus you may not get offers from all which would narrow it down

Also vet med is extremely competitive(more so than medicine I'd say), so you probably wouldn't get offers from all of them....can you apply to all 5 or is it 4?
    I’m applying this October- but I need to narrow down which 4 I apply to.

ReputationRep:
    I’m applying this October- but I need to narrow down which 4 I apply to.
    Ah right-well visit the places and see if you like it.
    Last year I had to narrow down my choices and was initially convinced I'd apply to this one uni, visited it and hated the place so that narrowed my choices down for me.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    I’m heading up to RVC in May for their open day.

I guess safety and the fact that I live in a very small city now so I worry I wouldn’t be able to adjust. I’ve spent time in London as my mum grew up there but I’m sure it’s a very different experience to live there. I’m also concerned about the class sizes- they have the biggest intake by far- how big are your lectures etc normally?
    Ahh okay, that is something I hear a lot. I grew up in London and consider Camden and the surrounding areas to be safer than where I used to live so it's never something that even crossed my mind, but I can appreciate why some people are uneasy. Like, I'm a night owl and around exams I used to regularly leave uni at midnight/1am and never had a problem. I generally say that if you want trouble, you can find it anywhere. If you wanna be a dope-slinging, crack-smoking, gangster that is a pimp in your spare time and shanks the people who cross you then you're gonna ruffle feathers whether you do it in Camden or Camarthen, and if you keep your head down then for the most part you'll be fine. Don't forget that 'Shottingham' is the gun crime capital of the UK either If ever anything does happen then the university are quick to send out a warning to the rest of the students so that they can avoid being a target. I do fully appreciate your worries though and understand why I would be desensitised to it. Every year there are a few students who elect to live in Potters Bar and commute into London, if that interests you at all. I personally would advise against that but the uni will subsidise part of your train fare and I know some people who lived in PB in first and second year that loved it. Different strokes for different folks :shrug:

Regarding class sizes, in first and second year its around 150, approaching 250 in third year once ex-accelerateds join the cohort. Lectures genuinely aren't a problem; while you are encouraged to ask questions throughout lectures for the most part it is just the professor talking to you for 45 minutes, so it doesn't matter if they're speaking to 100 people or 1000. For other teaching we're divided into groups, e.g. for DLs (directed learning - basically a small seminar/case study usually) we're in groups of 6, same as for ISFs (integrated structure and function- anatomy teaching on live animals) for dissections we're in groups of 4, only a third or a quarter of people will be in the labs at once etc etc. Where I have heard that this may be problematic, although I am currently unable to comment, is for rotations. I can tell you that rotation groups (the group of students with which you do most of your final year placements) are broken into smaller sub-groups, but I couldn't tell you yet how the group size actually affects teaching, if at all. Gimme a year and a half
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by CrazyPantha27)
    Nottingham is very Campus orrientated. You'll be on the Sutton bonnington campus which is about half an hour away from the Main Campus. So you'll be on the Campus with all the other Vet students, so you won't really get to mix with any other students unless you make the trip to main campus. Also you'll spend all 5 years at the same campus, so there isn't a whole lot of variety. Nottingham also don't have their own hospital unlike somewhere like Liverpool, although they are closely associated with some nearby private hospitals and centres. Also the City of nottingham, and I mean no offence to anyone who is from or lives there, but when I had a look around it didn't seem like the nicest or cleanest place in the world and there wasn't much there. Hence why all the Uni stuff is on Campus, rather than integrated with the city. Thats quite a negative view I know, but that was how I felt about nottingham and the impression I got when I went to the open day and interview day.
    I'm sorry... what? Nottingham is indeed campus based and you'll spend the majority of your time with vet students. But there is not just vet students on campus, there's the whole school of bioscience which dwarves the vet school. Plenty of other people to meet. The last year isn't on campus other than about a months worth, the rest of the time is on EMS or on rotations.

Nottingham is a fantastic city, loads to do, loads to see, it is a clean city with a great nightlife and one of the best cities to be a student in, the university also has a deal with the local taxi companies, meaning that a taxi ride into the middle for a night out is relaively inexpensive. There's also a bus and the trams run into the centre from 5miles from campus. Loughborough is also about the same distance away, which has a half decent nightlife and is the easiest access to the supermarkets etc locally. The cleanliness of the city has little to do with why the vet school isn't integrated into the city, it's more to do with, why split the vet students when you have all the facilities, people and staff all in one place?

Source - Nottingham grad 2017
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    OP - I personally went for my gut feeling, I liked Nottingham the most and hence I went there and that's how I ordered my preferences

The BMAT is another consideration, many of the universities when I applied needed it to be done, so I had no choice, but that isn't the case now and it's whether or not you want to study/ sit it.

Nottingham isn't much more practical than a lot of unis now adays, most of the vet schools have rewritten their courses and hence are no very much in line with the nottingham ethos and teaching style

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 11, 2018

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.