bookbookbook3224
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I’m choosing my GCSE options and I’m torn between geography and history. I’m already taking French and Triple Science. I want to be a surgeon, so I don’t think the humanities will be very useful but I have to pick one.
The history GCSE has a section on medicine throughout the years, but I’m not sure it would be entirely relevant. Also, there’s a pretty big part of the GCSE focused on WW1, which I’m pretty sick of learning about.
I haven’t had a proper teacher for history this year (just loads of supplies) so by this point I’m pretty disenchanted, and geography seems like a better option? From what I can tell, it’s more interesting and there isn’t much coursework involved this year. But I think I could do well at either GCSE.
I know it’s a personal decision really, but does anybody have any advice?
maisiex10x
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
DEFINITELY GEOGRAPHY I love geography and at year 9, I was also really torn, what to do but now it is one of my favorite subjects, history is a lot of dates to learn and lots of essays whereas geography there is a real mix of topics and question types.
DEFINITELY GEOGRAPHY!
k.n.h.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Human Geography's great, but Physical is meh
maisiex10x
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I totally agree with you!!!
emjordan22
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I would definately recommend history, it’s my favourite and I’ve taught myself the whole GCSE syllabus pretty much, I’ve had an awful teacher too, but I would say that Geography seems more of something to learn, and not remember, therefore you wouldn’t get sick of hearing about things but it could be harder to teach yourself if the same happens with your geography teacher, you may find it difficult. Traditional subjects are great to show variety when applying to university, french is great and history is seen as a traditional subject and respect for the past.
FloralHybrid
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by bookbookbook3224)
I’m choosing my GCSE options and I’m torn between geography and history. I’m already taking French and Triple Science. I want to be a surgeon, so I don’t think the humanities will be very useful but I have to pick one.
The history GCSE has a section on medicine throughout the years, but I’m not sure it would be entirely relevant. Also, there’s a pretty big part of the GCSE focused on WW1, which I’m pretty sick of learning about.
I haven’t had a proper teacher for history this year (just loads of supplies) so by this point I’m pretty disenchanted, and geography seems like a better option? From what I can tell, it’s more interesting and there isn’t much coursework involved this year. But I think I could do well at either GCSE.
Really depends on what you prefer.

Personally, I’m much more of a History girl. Couldn’t stand geography. In terms of coursework, both were pretty demanding. I did WJEC History and AQA Geography a couple years ago, achieving a B in Geography and an A in History. But, I did the old GCSE specs - So rules on coursework have changed.

But, as I say - It’s entirely personal preference!
username3671958
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
geography is pretty easy for me and I dislike essay writing so I picked it instead of history, however if you enjoy writing tasks you would probably be better suited to history
FloralHybrid
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Really depends on what you prefer.

Personally, I’m much more of a History girl. Couldn’t stand geography. In terms of coursework, both were pretty demanding. I did WJEC History and AQA Geography a couple years ago, achieving a B in Geography and an A in History. But, I did the old GCSE specs - So rules on coursework have changed.

But, as I say - It’s entirely personal preference!
emjordan22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
And I forgot to say! At the moment, in my schoo there is no coursework for history, but there is for geography
CourteneyMachinx
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I studied both at GCSE and currently studying both for A Levels. I absolutely love both, although human geography can be a little boring physical geography is AMAZING! Personally I'm more of a history girl myself but it fully depends on your opinion. Discuss the medicine topic with your history teacher and discuss the Geography topics with your Geography teacher to. You also need to pick a subject you know you'll enjoy to ensure you get the best marks at GCSE's as that's what colleges or sixth forms or apprenticeships will look at.
A.marie
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Geography you study past present and future ! And it’s so diverse so geography all the way
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you're planning on going to uni this year, would any of these financial reasons stop you?

Not being able to work now to save up for uni (92)
13.88%
Reduced household income due to coronavirus means I can't afford to go (55)
8.3%
Lack of part-time jobs to support me while I'm at uni (85)
12.82%
Lack of graduate job prospects when I finish uni (80)
12.07%
Other reasons are stopping me going (84)
12.67%
Nothing is stopping me going (267)
40.27%

Watched Threads