Turn on thread page Beta

History Vs. Geography watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I’m choosing my GCSE options and I’m torn between geography and history. I’m already taking French and Triple Science. I want to be a surgeon, so I don’t think the humanities will be very useful but I have to pick one.
    The history GCSE has a section on medicine throughout the years, but I’m not sure it would be entirely relevant. Also, there’s a pretty big part of the GCSE focused on WW1, which I’m pretty sick of learning about.
    I haven’t had a proper teacher for history this year (just loads of supplies) so by this point I’m pretty disenchanted, and geography seems like a better option? From what I can tell, it’s more interesting and there isn’t much coursework involved this year. But I think I could do well at either GCSE.
    I know it’s a personal decision really, but does anybody have any advice?

ReputationRep:
    DEFINITELY GEOGRAPHY I love geography and at year 9, I was also really torn, what to do but now it is one of my favorite subjects, history is a lot of dates to learn and lots of essays whereas geography there is a real mix of topics and question types.
    DEFINITELY GEOGRAPHY!

ReputationRep:
    Human Geography's great, but Physical is meh

ReputationRep:
    I totally agree with you!!!

ReputationRep:
    I would definately recommend history, it’s my favourite and I’ve taught myself the whole GCSE syllabus pretty much, I’ve had an awful teacher too, but I would say that Geography seems more of something to learn, and not remember, therefore you wouldn’t get sick of hearing about things but it could be harder to teach yourself if the same happens with your geography teacher, you may find it difficult. Traditional subjects are great to show variety when applying to university, french is great and history is seen as a traditional subject and respect for the past.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bookbookbook3224)
    I’m choosing my GCSE options and I’m torn between geography and history. I’m already taking French and Triple Science. I want to be a surgeon, so I don’t think the humanities will be very useful but I have to pick one.
    The history GCSE has a section on medicine throughout the years, but I’m not sure it would be entirely relevant. Also, there’s a pretty big part of the GCSE focused on WW1, which I’m pretty sick of learning about.
    I haven’t had a proper teacher for history this year (just loads of supplies) so by this point I’m pretty disenchanted, and geography seems like a better option? From what I can tell, it’s more interesting and there isn’t much coursework involved this year. But I think I could do well at either GCSE.
    Really depends on what you prefer.

Personally, I’m much more of a History girl. Couldn’t stand geography. In terms of coursework, both were pretty demanding. I did WJEC History and AQA Geography a couple years ago, achieving a B in Geography and an A in History. But, I did the old GCSE specs - So rules on coursework have changed.

But, as I say - It’s entirely personal preference!

ReputationRep:
    geography is pretty easy for me and I dislike essay writing so I picked it instead of history, however if you enjoy writing tasks you would probably be better suited to history

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bookbookbook3224)
    Really depends on what you prefer.

Personally, I’m much more of a History girl. Couldn’t stand geography. In terms of coursework, both were pretty demanding. I did WJEC History and AQA Geography a couple years ago, achieving a B in Geography and an A in History. But, I did the old GCSE specs - So rules on coursework have changed.

But, as I say - It’s entirely personal preference!

ReputationRep:
    And I forgot to say! At the moment, in my schoo there is no coursework for history, but there is for geography

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
  3. Birmingham City University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.