Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

Is it financially possible for the average student to study in America? watch

ReputationRep:
    I have recently been interested in studying in the USA after sixth form to do an undergraduate film degree but and it has come to my attention the tuition fees are insanely high (most being around $60,000 per year).

I am currently in year 13 and considering taking a year off to work full time and to gain some money in case I could find a way to study abroad.

It seems quite difficult to get financial aid when studying out there too unless you're either a US citizen or on a sort of scholarship programme.

My question Is, do you think it is actually possible for the average student to go to America? Could I really do it?

ReputationRep:
    Not gonna lie, it's extremely hard. Many colleges are extremely stingy when it comes to financial aid, especially for international students unless you get a full ride scholarship.. most American college students take out significant loans and then have to pay those back to their bank post-graduation with interest, which is honestly not great. And there's no guarantee that your expensive degree will make financial sense either, especially film/etc. What makes most sense is to go to a school you can make really good connections in the industry at (USC, NYU, New School...), but ONLY if you can afford it.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    JoshuaKing00 In a word, no. International fees at even mediocre universities are extremely high. I suggest you find a degree in the UK that has study abroad arrangements with an American university, that is the easiest (and cheapest) way to experience student life in the States.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.