Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shabeer788)
    Today my teacher ripped up my work and then threw it at me and told me to pick it up in front of the whole class.(By the way I'm in year 12 Sixth Form) This wasnt the first time she had ripped it up in front of the class it was the second.
    I was wondering if this is allowed and if not what can i do about the teacher?
    That is bullying and trying to belittle you. I would tell your folks and get them to speak to the head.

ReputationRep:
    report miss trunchball for misconduct

ReputationRep:
    Step 1: report her to the principal
    Then walk down the hall
    Step 2: report her to the head of year
    Then walk down the hall
    Step 3: report her to the head of the department.

by the time you get to the head of the department they should already be in the loop. If you don't do this then she'll just do it to someone else. Specifically because she's a teacher she doesn't get to do this. She'll be getting away with it because nobody calls her on it properly.
    If you do it the other way around you'll just get blocked with 'oh I'll take care of it' and nothing gets done because it makes them look bad because it happened on their watch.

ReputationRep:
    Today my teacher ripped up my work and then threw it at me and told me to pick it up in front of the whole class.(By the way I'm in year 12 Sixth Form) This wasnt the first time she had ripped it up in front of the class it was the second.
    This gets you into a "he said, she said" position. It would be best if you had something like this on video. Pocket "pen-cams" are available. They record audio too, and have a USB port for downloading the captured video & audio. A witness would be useful, but again - the witness would probably be a student like yourself, and not carry as much weight as a faculty member. A faculty member would be unlikely to act as a witness for you in a dispute with an instructor.

I once was taking an undergrad course, whilst i was working on my masters degree. I had an instructor (in that course), refuse multiple times to do a problem on the board in class (it was an assigned homework problem). I told him i couldn't do it, and would like to see how to do it properly. The problem was - he couldn't do it either, and he had the "eastern disease": a> you never admit you can't do something, b> you never admit you made a mistake, c> you never ask how to do something - because this reveals you cannot do it. I had my pocket tape recorder running, and got about 30 minutes of his refusing to do the problem. Note that the average homework problem takes about 3 to 6 minutes to do, depending upon how verbose you are. I took it to the dean & played the tape. I didn't have to say anything. They fired him the next semester. Of course, graduate students carry more weight than undergraduates. Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    did you hand her a crappy 2 minute piece of work that she's taken time out of her day to set and prepare for you just to throw it back into her face with a shoddy attempt?

ReputationRep:
    hi! sos to hear about this. how long did you spend doing your work? Tempted to rip up his school report: how long did he spend writing the report!! hehe

ReputationRep:
    There is likely more to this than meets the eye.....

What were the conditions? Were you rude to her? How was the work presented? Was it just writing on a page or a gooey mess? Either way, you are 17, so can't you deal with this matter?
    If it were in a UK school, I suspect that there is more going on than a shoddy piece of work.

Shocked to hear someone condoning violence to a teacher. (Kicking incident)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris22)
    This is showing my age...but when I was at school I can recall this happening on several occasions and it wasn't the sort of thing that was seen as out of order!

(Before anyone says anything, I'm not saying it is acceptable!)
    Years ago, pupils & students were expected to have a deferential attitude to staff. Staff could disrespect students and that was ok. Lots of people remember schooldays with pain. Now, expectations are different, even though some staff still bully & humiliate learners.

If I wanted to give this teacher a chance, I'd ask to have a conversation with her and the subject head or head of year together, explain why her behaviour is inappropriate and try to elicit a resolve on her part to change her attitude. If I felt she'd lost entitlement to a respectful rebuke, I'd go straight to her line manager: probably head teacher or head of sixth form. If they do nothing - the school governor responsible for teaching & learning, and then Ofsted if the governors can't deal with it.

ReputationRep:
    You should pick up the bits of paper and carefully (maybe not too carefully) tape them all together. Hand in the work again. Make sure you take a selfie and picture of the final masterpiece!!
    As you have been traumatized I thin k a nice little "court case" for distress and recompense is needed here; around £10Ks should "help" with your educational distress caused.

(Original post by Jan Jones)
    You should pick up the bits of paper and carefully (maybe not too carefully) tape them all together. Hand in the work again. Make sure you take a selfie and picture of the final masterpiece!!
    As you have been traumatized I thin k a nice little "court case" for distress and recompense is needed here; around £10Ks should "help" with your educational distress caused.
    The idea that students should start taking teachers to court due to the student's work being sub-standard, is ridiculous. It sounds as though you are trying to incite a Court Case, where probably a re-submission to the teacher, of a suitable calibre, would seem more appropriate.
    Surely, arbitrating between a student and teacher should lessen friction caused, not ramp it up to promote financial inducements.

There are enough problems recruiting good teachers, without threatening them with court action. Also, we still do not know the circumstances, as the O.P. can't be bothered to reply, maybe indicating her attitude to schoolwork.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    The idea that students should start taking teachers to court due to the student's work being sub-standard, is ridiculous. It sounds as though you are trying to incite a Court Case, where probably a re-submission to the teacher, of a suitable calibre, would seem more appropriate.
    Surely, arbitrating between a student and teacher should lessen friction caused, not ramp it up to promote financial inducements.

There are enough problems recruiting good teachers, without threatening them with court action. Also, we still do not know the circumstances, as the O.P. can't be bothered to reply, maybe indicating her attitude to schoolwork.
    I would start down the road of a court case... its always possible a some hush money (ie out of court settlement) would be offered. court action in this day and age is quick and easy anyway. A tribunal is also effective anyway: re :

https://www.gov.uk/government/collec...her-misconduct

Very cheap anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jan Jones)
    I would start down the road of a court case... its always possible a some hush money (ie out of court settlement) would be offered. court action in this day and age is quick and easy anyway. A tribunal is also effective anyway: re :

https://www.gov.uk/government/collec...her-misconduct

Very cheap anyway.
    Good idea, my litigatinous buddy; have you ever thought of suing your
    ma and pa for having you?

ReputationRep:
    If you're not a troll see your head of year to discuss this. That's just unucessary.

ReputationRep:
    One of the teachers I had kicked over a lab chair and threw a pencil case across the room into some glassware.

He was a loon. But he was also funny enough for students to like him anyway.

Probably the most memorable teacher I've had. He was good at teaching physics as well. Those days lol

He once pulled someone out of the lunch queue in front of me for pushing, gave them a detention in front of everyone and said "Merry Christmas" as he was handing the slip to the student, with the straightest, most boring face while doing so.

ReputationRep:
    I was once called bone-idled lazy by a teacher during A-level Chemistry even though I achieved 95% in AS ans 92% in A2. Naturally, I got my parents involved and the head of sixth form made the chemistry teacher give me a grovelling apology in front of the class. No feeling is better than having someone humbled and have them bowed and broken and on all fours like she was.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haviland-Tuf)
    I was once called bone-idled lazy by a teacher during A-level Chemistry even though I achieved 95% in AS ans 92% in A2. Naturally, I got my parents involved and the head of sixth form made the chemistry teacher give me a grovelling apology in front of the class. No feeling is better than having someone humbled and have them bowed and broken and on all fours like she was.
    But, maybe if you had worked harder you might have got nearer to
    100%

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.