Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How do I remember the stuff I need to learn more effectively? I feel like I have tried everything from nootropics to flash cards and nothing works, it's not the anxiety and such as well, I do have learning difficulties, but what do I even do to that degree if they're that bad I can't remember content for exams?

Do qs on topics you find difficult and try to explain/teach them to someone. That way you'll retain 90% of what you learn.
    You could try using diagrams or mind maps (if you haven't already) and see if that works. Watching youtube vids helps too.

Hope this helped. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I tried all this and nothing works.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeT_)
    How do I remember the stuff I need to learn more effectively? I feel like I have tried everything from nootropics to flash cards and nothing works, it's not the anxiety and such as well, I do have learning difficulties, but what do I even do to that degree if they're that bad I can't remember content for exams?
    Pretend you have students in the room and explain to them. Then suggest questions and pretend you are in the exam and write the answers down. It will help
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    ok but I have no teacher training.

ReputationRep:
    I tried all this and nothing works.
    Try reading your notes, then writing a response to them in essay form

I had this problem which stopped me passing uni for 3 years

This method helped me to pass finally

ReputationRep:
    The best ways to memorise things are to answer as many questions as you can and do it over and over again.
    It's not enough to do it today and that's it. You have to do it again in a few days, and then again, and then again. Always answering questions! Not just reading notes because that doesn't help as much.

Here are two blogs by scientists explaining how to do so:
    https://senecalearning.com/blog/revision-tips/
    http://www.learningscientists.org/le...ieval-practice

SenecaLearning is also a website full of questions, gifs, mind maps and videos. Worth trying because it's free

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    ok but I have no teacher training.
    you absolutely do not need teacher training! it's not about that, it's about reorganising the knowledge that you already have. When we just think about something it may not be as solid, because we may skip bits and still understand. But when you actually put it into words and explain it to other people (even if it's imaginary students) then we are forced to connect everything in a clear way. And we end up learning more!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.