Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm a bit confused whether I ought to apply to Physical or Biological Natural Sciences through UCAS, if I'm interested in Earth Sciences and am not taking Physics at A-level (taking Biology/Chemistry/Maths)?

It seems Earth Sciences is classified with the Physical Sciences at Cambridge, but most colleges seem to indicate someone applying for Physical Natural Sciences will get a panel interview with a Physicist and a Chemist - but if I haven't taken Physics, will I be at a disadvantage at interview if I apply for Physical Sciences? If I applied for Biological Natural Sciences, would it be strange if my personal statement was all about Earth Sciences and Geology?

Looking at other similar posts in this forum it seems as though the distinction is mainly for application purposes and doesn't make any difference later on in the course, but if I got called to interview would I be expected to answer physics questions in a Physical Sciences interview?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by EarthSciences)
    Looking at other similar posts in this forum it seems as though the distinction is mainly for application purposes and doesn't make any difference later on in the course, but if I got called to interview would I be expected to answer physics questions in a Physical Sciences interview?
    Correct, yes.

If you are doing Chemistry and Biology just apply via Bio. It makes zero difference to your Part IA options.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Correct, yes.

If you are doing Chemistry and Biology just apply via Bio. It makes zero difference to your Part IA options.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you! Would it be worth mentioning the decision to apply via Biological Natural Sciences in the SAQ, or is it really a non-issue that I'm overthinking?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by EarthSciences)
    Thank you! Would it be worth mentioning the decision to apply via Biological Natural Sciences in the SAQ, or is it really a non-issue that I'm overthinking?
    I do think you're overthinking it. Use the SAQ to discuss the Cambridge specific modules you are interested in and why, the route is immaterial.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.