The Student Room Group

IBM Degree Apprenticeship 2018

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys.

I'm currently a Degree Apprentice at IBM doing Digital and Tech Solutions at Exeter. I started at the beginning of May (today is my 1 monthaversary) but I don't start the actual uni course until September so I'll be seeing some of you guys there.

To give you guys a little bit of info about what to expect you get Mondays off to study during term time and work the rest of the time. Our uni induction starts on the 17th of September and we get a week residential in Exeter. This is ALL YEARS of the IBM cohort as well as other companies so you'll be able to ask people whove been through the process for advice and start to build your network easily. You also get 1 week a term residential at Exeter. We are basically the guinea pigs as I believe everyone else who is currently doing a Degree Apprenticeship from IBM was an internal transfer from another programme - for example a Level 4 role or a post A level gap year. ( I might be wrong on this )

It's really hard to generalise what happens on the work side as it really depends where you end up.

There's also a 2.5 week IBM induction called New2Blue which really helps with getting you settled. Depending on your start date this might be after your uni induction.

If you've got any questions post them in here so that others can see the answer and I'll do my best to answer them be that regarding the uni or work side of things.

Edit: I should say I am not an IBM spokesperson and I could be wrong about certain things. I cannot divulge the questions that were asked at interviews or assessment centre so please dont ask that XD.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Fatcoin
Hi guys.

I'm currently a Degree Apprentice at IBM doing Digital and Tech Solutions at Exeter. I started at the beginning of May (today is my 1 monthaversary) but I don't start the actual uni course until September so I'll be seeing some of you guys there.

To give you guys a little bit of info about what to expect you get Mondays off to study during term time and work the rest of the time. Our uni induction starts on the 17th of September and we get a week residential in Exeter. This is ALL YEARS of the IBM cohort as well as other companies so you'll be able to ask people whove been through the process for advice and start to build your network easily. You also get 1 week a term residential at Exeter. We are basically the guinea pigs as I believe everyone else who is currently doing a Degree Apprenticeship from IBM was an internal transfer from another programme - for example a Level 4 role or a post A level gap year. ( I might be wrong on this )

It's really hard to generalise what happens on the work side as it really depends where you end up.

There's also a 2.5 week IBM induction called New2Blue which really helps with getting you settled. Depending on your start date this might be after your uni induction.

If you've got any questions post them in here so that others can see the answer and I'll do my best to answer them be that regarding the uni or work side of things.

Edit: I should say I am not an IBM spokesperson and I could be wrong about certain things. I cannot divulge the questions that were asked at interviews or assessment centre so please dont ask that XD.

Hi, I just wanted to ask, as I'm sitting through my a levels now. Are there actually any requirements grades wise to get the apprenticeship do you know? Since I've already been made an offer, even though I don't have my grades yet. Will this offer be retracted if I don't get the required grades?
Also how are you finding work at IBM, is the work/life balance good?
Reply 62
Hi, I had my AC around 3 weeks ago, and i passed that and now am in matching stage, did anyone else apply for the degree schemes at Warwick?Also I know it depends on each person but how long were you guys in the matching stage for? Also how were your business interviews?
Original post by Kaur99
Hi, I had my AC around 3 weeks ago, and i passed that and now am in matching stage, did anyone else apply for the degree schemes at Warwick?Also I know it depends on each person but how long were you guys in the matching stage for? Also how were your business interviews?

I wasn't in matching stage as I got a Business interview on the day of the AC. I wouldn't stress as it's not unheard of to be in matching for months. Also don't feel pressured to accept the first thing that you get interviewed for. It's very much a 2 way process and you need to see if the role is right for you. Anecdotal evidence - I know someone that had 3 business interviews. Also base location can mean very little. Some people go to their base location literally 3 times during their entire apprenticeship as they are on client sites all the time.
Original post by KOLVINSKI
Hi, I just wanted to ask, as I'm sitting through my a levels now. Are there actually any requirements grades wise to get the apprenticeship do you know? Since I've already been made an offer, even though I don't have my grades yet. Will this offer be retracted if I don't get the required grades?
Also how are you finding work at IBM, is the work/life balance good?

I already had my grades before I applied but I think the grades affect the uni side more as they need to approve you as well as the IBM side who I think will have already approved you seeing as you got the offer from them. I think Exeter is AAB?

There will always be crunch times especially regarding deadlines so I wouldn't expect 9 to 5 every day realistically. You do get 1 day a week to study but this obviously won't be enough so you will have to put time in in the evenings and weekends if you want to smash the uni side.

It depends massively on what role and project you get though. For example some will want you in office every day, some might be more flexible regarding working from home. Some might not let you take work home due to privacy/security stuff.

Also as an apprentice, there is the understanding you have coursework and revision to do so you shouldn't feel pressured to neglect it for project work.
Reply 65
Original post by Fatcoin
I wasn't in matching stage as I got a Business interview on the day of the AC. I wouldn't stress as it's not unheard of to be in matching for months. Also don't feel pressured to accept the first thing that you get interviewed for. It's very much a 2 way process and you need to see if the role is right for you. Anecdotal evidence - I know someone that had 3 business interviews. Also base location can mean very little. Some people go to their base location literally 3 times during their entire apprenticeship as they are on client sites all the time.

Oh okay, just a little worried because I really want this to go through and for it to be successful for me.

I was just worried about base location because I specifically put that one, not a few like most did on my AC day.

What degree are you doing and how do you find both sides of it?
Original post by Kaur99
Oh okay, just a little worried because I really want this to go through and for it to be successful for me.

I was just worried about base location because I specifically put that one, not a few like most did on my AC day.

What degree are you doing and how do you find both sides of it?

You can ask to change your base location - I did but I can't promise you will be allowed to. If you're on client site a lot you'll barely be at your base location and therefore the only thing base location affects is expenses.

I have't started the uni bit yet, I start that in September and I'll be doing Digital and Tech Solutions at Exeter.

As far as the work side it's all good so far.
(edited 5 years ago)
If you are at clietn sites all week which could be far from your base location, what do you do at weekends? Do IBM expense the hotels and what not during weekends or do you just go home at weekends and if this is far away do IBM expense this say on a Friday night getting home and a Sunday night getting back?
Yea it was an apprenticeship at Google. Thing that put me off though was it was level 4 (or 5) i believe and wasn't a degree apprenticeship and ideally I would like a degree
Original post by CharlieJ15420
If you are at clietn sites all week which could be far from your base location, what do you do at weekends? Do IBM expense the hotels and what not during weekends or do you just go home at weekends and if this is far away do IBM expense this say on a Friday night getting home and a Sunday night getting back?

It's pretty flexible as far as I know. Sometimes if you're on a project for ages, they will rent a flat for you and some others so you don't have to live out of a suitcase.

All travel to and from client sites is covered minus your normal commute. Government legislation says that expenses must be from your base location.

The easiest example to use is driving. Lets say you drive 5 miles to work and your client site is 10 miles away, you get covered for 5.

I guess if hotels are cheaper than going home and back they'd be more inclined to do that, but I believe that you are entitled to go home at weekends.

This will all get explained to you at induction and you won't be abandoned on your first project so don't worry about it now.

Again, I'm not an IBM encyclopedia so take what I say with a pinch of salt - I've only been here a month!
Reply 70
Hi, I’ve just done the work style inventory assessment after the IPAT, just wanted to know the sort of waiting time there might be and what to expect next, I am assuming an assessment centre.

Edit: Just got emailed back about doing the HireVue interview, any tips and ideas for types of questions? Going for the business scheme.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by aab08
Hi, I’ve just done the work style inventory assessment after the IPAT, just wanted to know the sort of waiting time there might be and what to expect next, I am assuming an assessment centre.

Edit: Just got emailed back about doing the HireVue interview, any tips and ideas for types of questions? Going for the business scheme.

Really wouldn't stress about HireVue mate - I think its about 15 minutes long but I did it ages ago. Just make sure you know a bit about IBM, what your role might entail and why you want to apply and use the STAR approach for the questions. Also dress smart!

After HireVue it is an assessment centre and after that a business interview. Can't really go into specifics about questions and stuff but none of it is designed to trip you up.
Guys, does anyone know if you can choose the location you want to work at? Because i really don’t want to leave London and I’d much rather study at queen mary. Haven’t applied yet but due to send an application.
Original post by bushra1175
Guys, does anyone know if you can choose the location you want to work at? Because i really don’t want to leave London and I’d much rather study at queen mary. Haven’t applied yet but due to send an application.

Yes, at some point they ask you where you'd prefer to be based (think it was after assessment centre)
Does anyone know roughly what the pass rate of the assessment centre is and what exactly it consists of? (Hursley digital and tech solutions)
Reply 75
Original post by Benji12345
Does anyone know roughly what the pass rate of the assessment centre is and what exactly it consists of? (Hursley digital and tech solutions)

Just got an invite to an assessment centre myself in Bedfont and was wondering the same thing and found this reply from a previous post:

Original post by CharlieJ15420
My apprenticeship is the Digital and Technology Solutions degree. What are you applying for?

And I actually enjoyed the assessment center. It was very laid back and took about 4.5 hours, but a lot of that was just waiting and chatting to the other candidates and IBM employees. The 2 group exercises are very laid back, as long as everyone communicates and you stick to the time you'll be fine and the pre-prepared presentation also went very well. I'd advise not putting too much on your slides (only the main points) and elaborate more from it (if you're doing a PPT). It shows you know what you're talking about more. I also had one of the "possible business interviews" which took about 45mins. Overall everyone there was very nice and relaxed. The interviews and presentations are more like conversations and you never feel like you're being "assessed" so you should be fine as long as you have done the research!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by aab08
Just got an invite to an assessment centre myself in Bedfont and was wondering the same thing and found this reply from a previous post:

Cheers, find it a bit confusing though that everyone seems to have different things like presentations, also I only had to pass the IPAT I didn't have any prior interview etc
Reply 77
Cheers, find it a bit confusing though that everyone seems to have different things like presentations, also I only had to pass the IPAT I didn't have any prior interview etc

I had the IPAT then the WSI test follow d by the HireVue video interview before the assessment centre invite, not sure if everyone has different things they have to do.
Original post by aab08
I had the IPAT then the WSI test follow d by the HireVue video interview before the assessment centre invite, not sure if everyone has different things they have to do.

And that's all for the digital tech solutions degree apprenticeship in hursley? Very strange that I only had the initial application and the test
Reply 79
And that's all for the digital tech solutions degree apprenticeship in hursley? Very strange that I only had the initial application and the test

No I’m going for the Chartered Business Management Degree Apprenticeship as for where it is I am not sure I haven’t had the option to pick yet, I saw in a previous post that they ask you for your preference after the assessment centre.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending