The Student Room Group

University of Edinburgh or McGill or University of Toronto?

I have received an offer from McGill, University of Toronto, and University of Edinburgh's English Masters programs. I have to accept one of the offers by the end of next week, and I would like some input from others about which school would be better and which school would be more likely to get me into a better American PhD program.

McGill
Pros: I received my undergraduate education from McGill and am on good terms with the professors here. I have also been offered a $1500 RA-ship with my current supervisor, should I accept. The program is two years long, which provides some benefits in that I would have more time to prepare for a PhD program and more time to work on my Masters paper.

Cons: I have been living in Montreal for the past four years and some change would be nice, much as I love the city. I am also worried that perhaps it is not prestigious enough to get into a top 10 PhD program in the States.

Toronto
Pros: It's probably got the best English program in the country, and there's a possibility that it is better known/recognized in the States. Also lots of interesting courses.

Cons: There's no thesis option, which is a big detractor for me.

Edinburgh
Pros: Easily has the most interesting program to me. The most interesting courses and some very interesting professors. Also this might be the most prestigious school I got accepted to, regarding English programs (opinions on this?).

Cons: I've only been to Edinburgh once so I am not actually that familiar with the city, and it was gorgeous the one time I went and I adored it but it might be a lot to get settled in a new country, get to know the professors, make friends, write a paper, and apply to PhD programs.

I really want to get into a good PhD program and would love some input on which school would put me in the best situation to do so.
Original post by mayhemily
I have received an offer from McGill, University of Toronto, and University of Edinburgh's English Masters programs. I have to accept one of the offers by the end of next week, and I would like some input from others about which school would be better and which school would be more likely to get me into a better American PhD program.

McGill
Pros: I received my undergraduate education from McGill and am on good terms with the professors here. I have also been offered a $1500 RA-ship with my current supervisor, should I accept. The program is two years long, which provides some benefits in that I would have more time to prepare for a PhD program and more time to work on my Masters paper.

Cons: I have been living in Montreal for the past four years and some change would be nice, much as I love the city. I am also worried that perhaps it is not prestigious enough to get into a top 10 PhD program in the States.

Toronto
Pros: It's probably got the best English program in the country, and there's a possibility that it is better known/recognized in the States. Also lots of interesting courses.

Cons: There's no thesis option, which is a big detractor for me.

Edinburgh
Pros: Easily has the most interesting program to me. The most interesting courses and some very interesting professors. Also this might be the most prestigious school I got accepted to, regarding English programs (opinions on this?).

Cons: I've only been to Edinburgh once so I am not actually that familiar with the city, and it was gorgeous the one time I went and I adored it but it might be a lot to get settled in a new country, get to know the professors, make friends, write a paper, and apply to PhD programs.

I really want to get into a good PhD program and would love some input on which school would put me in the best situation to do so.

If you want to d a PhD in the US then a Canadian education will prepare you better. Your best bet is probably McGill as Toronto doesn't have a thesis option.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending