Turn on thread page Beta

Are there any news stories that are true? watch

ReputationRep:
    People automatically assume that if a news story is broadcast on TV, it must be true, and that the footage is all genuine and not staged. Can anyone give an example of a bona fide new story recently reported by the mainstream media?

ReputationRep:
    The Russian spy being poisoned. The cold weather last week. Etc. Your clearly a troll though.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Bush did 7/11. It was a part-time job

ReputationRep:
    Hitler staged the Dambusters raid.

ReputationRep:
    Yesterday it was reported by the main channels that 21 people were receiving treatment for the poison and today they retracted it. Heard it on BBC Radio, they corrected yesterday's news and said nobody was in fact under such care. Go figure.

The scope for manipulation lies mostly in the editorial choice of what to make the news and what to leave out. North Korean media an example of how much you can shape the population's knowledge of events by editing the news.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peopleperson888)
    People automatically assume that if a news story is broadcast on TV, it must be true, and that the footage is all genuine and not staged. Can anyone give an example of a bona fide new story recently reported by the mainstream media?
    You make a fair point along the lines of, "if no one is their, does a falling tree make a noise." But at the end of the day, there are enough people in our society who would be prepared to cry wolf if the powers that be were trying to pull the wool over our eyes. Take Snowdon for example. The thing conspiracy theorists never seem to explain is just how do you keep people quiet in a free liberal society where everyone talks to everyone. Such secrets are easy to keep in a closed society where people fear each other, but in a free society?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by zhog)
    Yesterday it was reported by the main channels that 21 people were receiving treatment for the poison and today they retracted it. Heard it on BBC Radio, they corrected yesterday's news and said nobody was in fact under such care. Go figure.

The scope for manipulation lies mostly in the editorial choice of what to make the news and what to leave out. North Korean media an example of how much you can shape the population's knowledge of events by editing the news.
    I think you're being overly generous to the North Korean 'media by calling it news ... news implies at least a modicum of it is true, theres is more a fantasy channel as opposed to anything else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    I think you're being overly generous to the North Korean 'media by calling it news ... news implies at least a modicum of it is true, theres is more a fantasy channel as opposed to anything else.
    People consume the news that are put in front of them anywhere, we sometimes have the Beeb spending the day on some 'social report' put out by a charity with a not-so vested interest as if it were real news and quite often... it isn't. The gender pay-gap, we hear about it all the time and it is all a con. The perpetual state of crisis in the country, at a time when people arguably live better and longer than ever before. Trump cavorting with the Russians in urine soaked hotel rooms, where did we hear that? The power of the media is the same everywhere.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by zhog)
    People consume the news that are put in front of them anywhere, we sometimes have the Beeb spending the day on some 'social report' put out by a charity with a vested interest as if it were real news and quite often... it isn't. The gender pay-gap, we hear about it all the time in the media and it is all a con. The state of crisis in the country, at a time when people arguably live better and longer than ever before. Trump cavorting with the Russians in urine soaked hotel rooms, where did we hear that? The power of the media is the same everywhere.
    I was more getting at the point what is broadcast in dprk isn't so much bending of the truth to suit a political aim it is outright lies of the most egregious nature - you can't call comparing their supreme leader to news of trumps perversions as one is simply untrue the other is at worst hazy on the truth front
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The OP has a pretty decent point but one with many wholes, for example:

If I were to see a news story on the BBC (you would usually believe it because it is a trusted source) but a normal person would check up on other news sources that are less mainstream like Reuters, Independent. If they were to report the story at around the same time or the less mainstream to report it a few minutes earlier than it is most likely a true story.

However nobody actually does this because why would the BBC lie, unless it is for a purpose such as political propaganda and spreading their anti-Brexit agenda, in a news story such as a terrorist attack I see no reason why they would lie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    You make a fair point along the lines of, "if no one is their, does a falling tree make a noise." But at the end of the day, there are enough people in our society who would be prepared to cry wolf if the powers that be were trying to pull the wool over our eyes. Take Snowdon for example. The thing conspiracy theorists never seem to explain is just how do you keep people quiet in a free liberal society where everyone talks to everyone. Such secrets are easy to keep in a closed society where people fear each other, but in a free society?
    The truth does leak out to a small extent but very quickly stops leaking because it encounters an incredible resistance, just as I am encountering now, even if the evidence is strong, because people won't let go of their trust in the media and government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The PoliticalGuy)

If I were to see a news story on the BBC (you would usually believe it because it is a trusted source) but a normal person would check up on other news sources that are less mainstream like Reuters, Independent. If they were to report the story at around the same time or the less mainstream to report it a few minutes earlier than it is most likely a true story.

However nobody actually does this because why would the BBC lie, unless it is for a purpose such as political propaganda and spreading their anti-Brexit agenda, in a news story such as a terrorist attack I see no reason why they would lie.
    There are only 6 mainstream media corporations in America and they all get their news from the same source. Control of the media is vital if you are going to control the world. Control of banks is also vital. Control of schools is vital. Control of governments is vital. The globalists who control the Western world have all of this in place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peopleperson888)
    The truth does leak out to a small extent but very quickly stops leaking because it encounters an incredible resistance,
    Now you are just a conspiricist. How do you know that the news is a lie but the alternative is fact? Surely both are equally untrustworthy by your own measure?

Unless you witness something first hand sure every event is potentially fictional

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    I was more getting at the point what is broadcast in dprk isn't so much bending of the truth to suit a political aim it is outright lies of the most egregious nature - you can't call comparing their supreme leader to news of trumps perversions as one is simply untrue the other is at worst hazy on the truth front
    The upcoming meeting with Trump will be described as a meek surrender by the rest of the world in the North, that slant is there 24/7 even when reporting factual events. Yeah, they do lie to people on things like the source of food aid from the rest of the world and pretend it is all homegrown but it is a combination of things beyond just lying. When a missile goes rogue and explodes in mid-air they simply leave it out of the bulletin, that's the power of a news blackout.

Now, as for your alleged perversions and Trump... I think that has now been filed as fake news/blatant lies from somewhere other than NK. That's the power of the media again, lots of people now believe that fabricated story. Or that it was the Russians wot won it for Trump.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

You have a bit of a thing for Reuters don't you?
    Equally I've yet to hear of anyone calling it 'not mainstream' whose either being serious or just spectacularly ignorant of who/what the organisation is.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Napp)
    You have a bit of a thing for Reuters don't you?
    Equally I've yet to hear of anyone calling it 'not mainstream' whose either being serious or just spectacularly ignorant of who/what the organisation is.
    Reuters is my life

It was a clear joke, and I have nothing wrong with mainstream media as long as they have no bias which Reuters is completely vacant of.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Reuters is my life

It was a clear joke, and I have nothing wrong with mainstream media as long as they have no bias which Reuters is completely vacant of.
    That is an oxymoron... everything has some kind of bias whether you like it or not.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Napp)
    That is an oxymoron... everything has some kind of bias whether you like it or not.
    Not if you don't want there to be.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Not if you don't want there to be.
    If you say so sport.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of stories about Syria typically anti-Assad often use the Syrian observatory for human rights as their sources.

Russia today exposed that as being run by a Syrian man in Britain who hasn't been to the country in over 15 years.

Now I'm not naive into thinking Russia doesn't spread their fake news but can we really trust that group?

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.