ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am choosing my GCSEs and need some advice, my current choices are:
    German or French
    Geography
    History
    Psychology or business studies
    Please give advice

ReputationRep:
    French is probably better because it’s spoken more widely around the world. Do you need to take history and geography? It might not be a great idea, that’s what my teachers advised us anyway. Psychology is good if you definitely wanna go into that but business can take you loads of places so depends on what you want to do really
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrbeast)
    Hi, I am choosing my GCSEs and need some advice, my current choices are:
    German or French
    Geography
    History
    Psychology or business studies
    Please give advice
    I'd pick French. It's probably the easier of the two (although I have no experience in German, so I'm biased) because French is a lot more similar to English than German as a majority of our language comes from French, with only a tiny amount actually being Germanic. Plus German has cases (some grammatical rules that aren't necessarily difficult but a lot to remember).
    Out of Geography and History, it really depends on what you're more interested in and what you can do. History is very heavily essay-based (the exams are purely essay writing, so you need a good level of English and argumentative skills) as well as requiring you to learn a lot of subject knowledge, but usually unless you're given a narrative question you can get away with only knowing the basics of a topic if you're not aiming for grade 7 or 8. Geography, I've heard, demands a lot and lot of subject knowledge and there is a large amount of content to learn.
    History will probably be more useful to you in the longrun as it's a valued subject (if you carry it onto A-Level) and will greatly help with getting into universities. It will also help you practise essay writing skills which are similar to in English Literature. However if you don't do history at GCSE, colleges will generally allow you to do it with a grade 5 or 6 in English Literature.
    I'm currently studying business at GCSE and I can tell you it's pretty easy. There are three units (In OCR business) - the first one is about businesses in general and entrepeneurs, the second is usually coursework (which is going to be a bit difficult for you in the new GCSE, in the old one it was quite easy) and the third unit is on a case study into a business. I'm not sure what it's like for other exam boards though.
    I can't tell you anything about psychology as I haven't studied it. I know that both are not particularly "academic" or subjectively "useful" subjects, but both open lots of doors. Business is probably more useful if you are not planning on going down a career path involving psychology because it teaches you useful life skills in business, which gives you the knowledge to be able to set up a business in the future with some prior know how.

If I were you, I would pick:
    French
    History
    Business (it's fairly easy but can be boring)

But don't pick history unless you are prepared for the workload. It is challenging as a lot of marks come from structuring essays correctly as well as subject knowledge.
    Please think carefully about these options yourself too as these are your GCSEs, as well as getting the opinions of people on here.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.