The Student Room Group

can my parents legally control me if I live with them?

Can my parents force me wear a hijab etc. and completely control everything i do and my actions if I'm under 18 and living in their house?
Reply 1
In principle, no. In practicality, pretty much.
Original post by gjd800
In principle, no. In practicality, pretty much.

can you elaborate?
so what can I do?
so the idea that girls can wear what they want falls flat when parents get involved
Original post by justanotherchica
Can my parents force me wear a hijab etc. and completely control everything i do and my actions if I'm under 18 and living in their house?

Under 18, they can do what they like but forcing you to wear a hijab is stupid if you're not up for it/religious.
Reply 4
can you elaborate?
so what can I do?
so the idea that girls can wear what they want falls flat when parents get involved

If they won't shift when you've talked to them then realistically there is very little you can do until you move out. *****y, but how it is.
Reply 5
can you elaborate?
so what can I do?

While you live under their house, you live under their rules.

Many people live double lives, you can be secretive about the things that you do but they'll still control you while you live at home.
Original post by UWS
While you live under their house, you live under their rules.

Many people live double lives, you can be secretive about the things that you do but they'll still control you while you live at home.

having a double life is not feasible, it breaks you after a while

Their house their rules I'm afraid, what you do outside the house though is completely up to you.
why is my post being reviewed?
Yea stop being a pussy and move out? As harsh as it sounds
why is my post being reviewed?

Because you mentioned the S word.
Original post by SCIENCE :D
Because you mentioned the S word.

so, is that inappropriate?
people should be able to see what i wrote
if you really wanna help, you can PM me or try some other method other than preventing me from speaking freely
What’s the S word?
Is it an ethnicity?
Also, where can I find the rules of this forum?
so, is that inappropriate?
people should be able to see what i wrote
if you really wanna help, you can PM me or try some other method other than preventing me from speaking freely

It wasn't me who put your post up for review, that would have been automatic because you mentioned the s word, which is what I am trying to tell you.

I've just had a post up for review myself, when I was trying to reply to you.

I Can Pm you if you really want.
Original post by rubbishatgcse
Yea stop being a pussy and move out? As harsh as it sounds

okay...

Hello!

They can't say 'it's the law you must obey us' at all! However, its in a grey area as to whether their treatment of you is legal (as in, whether or not anything they do can be considered abuse which is illegal like forcing you by threatening to kick you out (coercion)/with violence/by making you feel scared (intimidation))

They might try to and it might not technically be illegal, but there is no law saying you have to listen to them!

With regards to the Hijab, of course, a big part of Islam is to respect your parents and be kind to them but there is no force in Islam, you should wear the Hijab if you feel like it and (not because your parents want you to).

Parents will always try and impose stuff on their teenagers and teenagers will always disobey them. However if it is making you uncomfortable, sit and talk to them about boundaries if possible. Hold your ground, you're your own person, stay resilient and hang in there! You'll thank yourself later! <3
For them to physically force you to wear it would be difficult, but whatever they do for punishment is up to them. Legally I don’t know what you can do, though it is a question you could ask childline? There is an online chat which is much less intimidating than calling.
https://www.childline.org.uk/get-support/contacting-childline/

If it was me, I would sit down with them and try and have an open and honest discussion about how it makes you feel. In an ideal world that’s all it would take, but it might not be the case. Hopefully they let you and you can start to feel happier soon. :hugs:
Original post by cat_mac
For them to physically force you to wear it would be difficult, but whatever they do for punishment is up to them. Legally I don’t know what you can do, though it is a question you could ask childline? There is an online chat which is much less intimidating than calling.
https://www.childline.org.uk/get-support/contacting-childline/

If it was me, I would sit down with them and try and have an open and honest discussion about how it makes you feel. In an ideal world that’s all it would take, but it might not be the case. Hopefully they let you and you can start to feel happier soon. :hugs:

thx :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest