Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello there.
    This year I applied for civil engineering courses at Uni and I am still undecided between picking Brighton or Surrey as my firm choice.

My offer for Brighton is unconditional if I make them my firm choice, or if I make them insurance choice then I need to get BBB in A level with at least a B in maths (even though the Brighton uni website says I need BCC-BBB with at least a C in maths which I find a bit confusing).
    My offer for Surrey is a conditional offer of ABB in A level whether I make them firm or insurance.

My predicted grades are AAC.

Does anyone have any advice on what I should do in this situation, and if anyone knows anything about the courses or knows anything about what it's like living in Brighton or Guildford that would be great.

Thanks in advance.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by mosafAL12)
    Hello there.
    This year I applied for civil engineering courses at Uni and I am still undecided between picking Brighton or Surrey as my firm choice.

My offer for Brighton is unconditional if I make them my firm choice, or if I make them insurance choice then I need to get BBB in A level with at least a B in maths (even though the Brighton uni website says I need BCC-BBB with at least a C in maths which I find a bit confusing).
    My offer for Surrey is a conditional offer of ABB in A level whether I make them firm or insurance.

My predicted grades are AAC.

Does anyone have any advice on what I should do in this situation, and if anyone knows anything about the courses or knows anything about what it's like living in Brighton or Guildford that would be great.

Thanks in advance.
    Would you firm Brighton instead of Surrey if it was a normal conditional offer?

Also, see this thread:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4876756
    Civil engineer - AMA

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Would you firm Brighton instead of Surrey if it was a normal conditional offer?

Also, see this thread:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4876756
    Civil engineer - AMA

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks.
    Well, if neither of them were unconditional then I would probably make Surrey my firm choice because there is barely a difference between achieving BBB for Brighton or an ABB for Surrey, and my predicted grades are AAC (C in chemistry which I could probably improve upon).

The strange thing about Brighton is that if I make them my insurance choice then they want grades of BBB with at least a B in Maths, but on the Brighton Uni website it says they ask for grades in the range of BCC to BBB with at least a C in Maths which is a bit weird.
    I tried messaging them about this twice but they still haven't replied to me for like two weeks now.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by mosafAL12)
    Thanks.
    Well, if neither of them were unconditional then I would probably make Surrey my firm choice because there is barely a difference between achieving BBB for Brighton or an ABB for Surrey, and my predicted grades are AAC (C in chemistry which I could probably improve upon).

The strange thing about Brighton is that if I make them my insurance choice then they want grades of BBB with at least a B in Maths, but on the Brighton Uni website it says they ask for grades in the range of BCC to BBB with at least a C in Maths which is a bit weird.
    I tried messaging them about this twice but they still haven't replied to me for like two weeks now.
    The "unconditional if firm" aspect of Brighton's offer is basically a bribe to try to secure you - it's a marketing tactic in the university's interest, not yours.

So firm Surrey.

NB. It's not guaranteed but Surrey is reasonably likely to accept AAC against an ABB offer. Especially if you get an A in Maths.

ReputationRep:
    mosafAL12

As Doonesbury said the unconditional firm offer is a marketing tactic. I'm the OP of the thread which he linked, Surrey does a scholarship which you apply normally around April of year 2 but if you cannot do that then there is a late applicant day when you are at the uni. The scholarship pairs you with a company and if you don't mess it up or mess around in it you should graduate with a job with your partner company.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 12, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.