Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So here's the deal...
    I'm a year 10 student and am having an incredibly difficult time revisng for history. I just cannot retain all of the details and dates.
    The thing is, I absolutely love history (I have done since I was very young). The problem lies with the new GCSE, the course size and the 16 mark question. So many 16 mark questions.
    However, I'm not neccesarily getting bad grades. My targets are really high and I am very self critical so I get really annoyed with one bad result.
    Another issues is that I am visually impaired. This doesn't really limit me since I try incredibly hard to allow myself to be/do as well as everyone else. Yet, I can't help the fact that I can't skim read. Do you know how frustrating that is?!
    In braille it is so hard to skip over sections while also understanding what you have read. So, it takes me longer to complete tasks in lessons. so, I end up with lots of classwork to catch up on.
    I now have a bunch of work to complete and a practice Paper 1, Section B (Conflict and Tension) to do in two weeks time and as well as finishing the classwork, I need to understand, remember and use it.
    Also, people always reccomend mind maps. They take forever. I can't read my onw handwriting after a day and my handwriting is big so it would take me 3 A3 pages to do one topic. Oh, and online mindmaps are such a fuss. I'm bored of reading document after document to revise. You guys can make it interesting by adding colours and stuff - I'm colour blind. Help!

ReputationRep:
    What topics are you doing as part of your gcse history course?

ReputationRep:
    America 1920-1973
    Conflict and tention 1918-1939
    Britain: Power and the people (Not started yet)
    Elizabethan England (Not started yet)
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Your topics except Elizabethan England are different to mine so I'm going to assume you will be looking at people and events. For the people I bought myself little cut outs of people from Poundland and designed a picture of them on the front and key knowledge on them at the back ( what they did and effect) for effect I usually look into a topic individually so I can link it to other people or events as a bit of extra knowledge as that in effect can secure the top band in the 16 mark question as you need to prove yourself right so having proof of what something did actually do can help. With these people you can either use them like flash cards picturising what's behind them since at my school we had some memory champion guy in and he suggested remebering through pictures. You could also practice putting things into correct order as some questions like narrative account need correct order for high marks. For key events I wrote 3 things about them Causes what happened and effect. As I don't know about your course but a lot of events are usually only used in explain why questions or describe 2 features. Final way is through the planning of an essay. Before an exam I usually try to get questions and write a plan about them. For example in my course a question could be "There was rapid progress in medicine from 17-19th century how far do you agree" then I would list what ever I was going to use for example Royal Society then just draw an arrow underneath and describe in as little words what it was then do the same for effect multiple times using this means that, as result ect try and have as much knowledge as possible. Hope it helps

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much! These are all great ideas and I'll definitely try them out. To be honest, when I started this thread I thought I would get no responses. Thanks again.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 12, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.