Turn on thread page Beta

Help, I’m a student and I’ve been applying for part time jobs for months now. I keep getting rejected or no responses. I’ve been in for an interview of two but the hours didn’t seem to match my availability. What am I doing wrong? And what kind of places hire students easily.

ReputationRep:
    Look at waitressing or bar jobs - the turnover is pretty high and they are always looking for new staff. The job is easy to pick up to. Popular jobs also include tutoring, retail or admin work. There can also be jobs going at your university, such as research or tour guides, which you can be paid for.

Look at your CV - is it the best it can be? You might also want to consider doing volunteering or extra-curriculars to boost your experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Help, I’m a student and I’ve been applying for part time jobs for months now. I keep getting rejected or no responses. I’ve been in for an interview of two but the hours didn’t seem to match my availability. What am I doing wrong? And what kind of places hire students easily.
    Some jobs require experience to be hired. I was looking for jobs when I was 17 (alongside A-Levels) and couldn't find any. I started in retail as a 3 month temp. I didn't get taken on permanently because there were no roles, but it opened doors to a lot of other jobs for me.

You should try indeed.co.uk, or handing CVs into local independent cafes. Especially consider looking at jobs on retail sites and DEFINITELY applying for temp roles, because even if it's just for a few months, you can prove you have experience and get another job more easily afterwards.

I finished retail a few years later and after university, the only job I could get was an 8-week temp one in a solicitors firm. They subsequently took me on full-time and I ended up staying for the good part of a year before moving to another firm. It's a great way to move forward.

I should say as well, I wouldn't generally advise wasting time on bar work. I used to work in a pub and my manager would NEVER take anybody on without previous bar experience. (A vicious cycle, I know).
    In the end she took a few people on who claimed to have the experience and they subsequently revealed they were massive liars when she asked them to pour a pint and it ended horribly.

Highlights include new staff members asking: 'how to make a sambuca', 'which of the two sized wine glasses were small' and 'where the shandy tap was'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Try looking for Student jobs within the university itself. They don’t require experience and they are specifically catered to students schedule so they are pretty understanding to work for. Plus the highest paid job I have ever done was within a university (£9 an hour).
    You can do:
    SU shop/cafe assistant
    Course Rep
    Student Ambassador
    Receptionist
    Welcome Day Assistant
    Telephone operator
    Library Assistant
    Fresher Rep
    Student Mentor
    Student Assistant
    Halls Assistant
    Stockroom Assistant
    Student Advisor
    Cleaner
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.