Turn on thread page Beta

Would you date a girl that isn't bubbly? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    That too. I just couldn't think of a better word
    So you're asking whether guys would date a girl who isn't obnoxiously loud and also overweight.

Hmm, that's a toughie. :beard:

(Original post by Sabertooth)
    So you're asking whether guys would date a girl who isn't obnoxiously loud and also overweight.

Hmm, that's a toughie. :beard:
    I didn't mean bubbly as in obnoxiously loud. I just meant vivacious, extroverted, warm, friendly, cheerful. The kind of person to immediately lift your spirits and make you feel comfortable.
    Forget the weight thing.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't mean bubbly as in obnoxiously loud. I just meant vivacious, extroverted, warm, friendly, cheerful. The kind of person to immediately lift your spirits and make you feel comfortable.
    Forget the weight thing.
    Still sounds obnoxious, but I hate in your face people. I'm an introvert I prefer other introverts. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Still sounds obnoxious, but I hate in your face people. I'm an introvert I prefer other introverts. :dontknow:
    Aye, I can only deal with permanently 'up', cheerful, outgoing people for so long.

ReputationRep:
    Although I can't speak on behalf of everyone as we are all very different, in my opinion loud, bubbly life and soul of the party types are probably going to get the most attention whilst at younger ages, and people like you will probably fair better a little later in life - late twenties/early thirties onwards. Having said that you would probably be better suited to a someone a little older.

ReputationRep:
    OP, I love serene women. For example I like the Buddhist culture in South East Asia where it's considered extremely rude and vulgar to lose your temper.
    I'd be very happy to settle down with a woman with your temperament if:
    we were sexually compatible. Can't be doing with dead starfish in bed.
    she didn't stray too often into surliness or sulkiness.

BTW your talking to young children in an adult tone of voice would be a good thing. The philosophy of treating them like adults as much as possible is a good one.

Having said that I'd also be very happy to settle down with a bubbly person, as long as they didn't stray into large emotional swings too often.

Given a choice between a bubbly person or a serene person I'd pick the one that was more compatible with important things eg: number of children desired, attitude to money, basic inner life philosophy etc etc. IE bubbly vs serene = not particularly important either way.

ReputationRep:
    I think a lot of people think I'm boring/unfriendly.

My sense of humour is very dry and I have quite a monotonous voice.
    I'm not very expressive, I never sound excited, I don't squeal or go high pitched. Actually that's a lie, sometimes around bubbly girls I find myself trying to be on their level but I feel really fake making my voice higher. I just don't want them to misinterpret my words/behaviour and think I don't want to be there.

I love new people but I don't show it, I don't go in for hugs or show my enthusiasm enough. Even if I am excited and interested in them.
    The most excitement you'll get from me is a big smile or an 'oh my god'. I really struggle to squeal with excitement and show I'm happy for someone.
    I also struggle with kids and babies because I don't like how you're expected to do a baby voice. I can't bring myself to do that.

Obviously I laugh and smile. But I'm just not a fun bubbly person like a lot of my friends are. They're really good at bringing up a mood and making people feel welcome.

I've had two boyfriends and things were fine but I definitely was not affectionate enough with them. And I don't think I was the "cute, loveable, slightly needy, bubbly gf". I actually felt like they showed more of those qualities than me which luckily balanced things out.

If any of you watch brooklyn nine nine, my ex said I was just like Captain Holt. The character is very robotic, with no emotion, cold, dry, not particularly friendly.

Anyway both of these relationships only lasted about 9 months. I'm wondering if I was too boring for them and not excitable enough. I shouldn't really change who I am but I'm willing to make more of an effort to make people feel more comfortable around me. I think maybe I'm just socially/emotionally stunted. I was quite quiet and socially awkward when I was younger.
    This is so relatable, I’m just like that. Except occasionally I can get excited but I tend to appear cold and distant even though I’m not. It’s just me putting up walls to keep myself safe.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I’d like to date a guy who is not bubbly
    But still caring ofc :P

(Original post by Jheinexx)
    How am I being b*tchy? Dating someone with a dry sense of humour is horrible
    Would you be able to go into more detail? Just curious to hear a different opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Would you be able to go into more detail? Just curious to hear a different opinion.
    Well, personality is important. If you’re shy but after a few conversations, you start to relax and laugh then that’s fine. But like, affection and someone who is excited for stuff and can make you laugh is sooo important in a relationship. That’s what attracts me to someone. If you’re not doing any of those things, it just feels like a friendship than a romantic relationship. Like its uncomfortable tbh. Like if i show you something funny and im excited n **** to show you and you’re just being dead then byeee

ReputationRep:
    I might actually prefer someone quieter tbh

I'm not very expressive, I never sound excited, I don't squeal or go high pitched. Actually that's a lie, sometimes around bubbly girls I find myself trying to be on their level but I feel really fake making my voice higher. I just don't want them to misinterpret my words/behaviour and think I don't want to be there.

I love new people but I don't show it, I don't go in for hugs or show my enthusiasm enough. Even if I am excited and interested in them.
    The most excitement you'll get from me is a big smile or an 'oh my god'. I really struggle to squeal with excitement and show I'm happy for someone.
    I also struggle with kids and babies because I don't like how you're expected to do a baby voice. I can't bring myself to do that.

Obviously I laugh and smile. But I'm just not a fun bubbly person like a lot of my friends are. They're really good at bringing up a mood and making people feel welcome.

I've had two boyfriends and things were fine but I definitely was not affectionate enough with them. And I don't think I was the "cute, loveable, slightly needy, bubbly gf". I actually felt like they showed more of those qualities than me which luckily balanced things out.

If any of you watch brooklyn nine nine, my ex said I was just like Captain Holt. The character is very robotic, with no emotion, cold, dry, not particularly friendly.

Anyway both of these relationships only lasted about 9 months. I'm wondering if I was too boring for them and not excitable enough. I shouldn't really change who I am but I'm willing to make more of an effort to make people feel more comfortable around me. I think maybe I'm just socially/emotionally stunted. I was quite quiet and socially awkward when I was younger.
    You sound like a female version of me. Especially not wanting to sound fake - I can't say "great" or "fantastic" without sounding sarcastic to myself :/

Honestly the "bubbly" type of girls annoy me, they seem really fake.

But I'm probably in the minority here...

Well, personality is important. If you’re shy but after a few conversations, you start to relax and laugh then that’s fine. But like, affection and someone who is excited for stuff and can make you laugh is sooo important in a relationship. That’s what attracts me to someone. If you’re not doing any of those things, it just feels like a friendship than a romantic relationship. Like its uncomfortable tbh. Like if i show you something funny and im excited n **** to show you and you’re just being dead then byeee
    I see thanks. I wouldn't say I'm a complete corpse, I've been known to laugh and smile but I'm never going to squeal with excitement. That kind of stuff feels completely unnatural. I definitely need to work on showing more affection though.

ReputationRep:
    Not as horrible as dating someone with no sense of humour. Like a traffic warden.

ReputationRep:
    I see thanks. I wouldn't say I'm a complete corpse, I've been known to laugh and smile but I'm never going to squeal with excitement. That kind of stuff feels completely unnatural. I definitely need to work on showing more affection though.
    Literally every person except me said they would date you so you don’t really need to change anything. If this is how you are then it is what it is.

ReputationRep:
    To me, bubbly means someone friendly and excitable. I would only data someone who was bubbly, but that's just my personality. It depends on the guy

Cos it goes over your head?

ReputationRep:
    Cos it goes over your head?
    I can understand it but it’s just not funny. And why did you have to go on anon to say this???

ReputationRep:

Yes I would date you, you sound really hot. I like shy girls

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dunnig Kruger)
    Not as horrible as dating someone with no sense of humour. Like a traffic warden.
    Dry humour is the best, what she on about?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 10, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.