Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I never know what to study for chemistry. When I have spare time, Id like to be able to gain knowledge of chemistry for tests/quizzes/prep for the final exam, etc. What is the most effective way of studying, (And this goes for other courses such as Math, Economics, English) ... I am in Grade 11 in Canada. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    There is a burning tendency these days to get students to memorise facts and just learn to blindly substitute values into equations in Science, rather than encouraging them to think and work out the reasoning behind any concepts, particularly calculations [at least here in UK]. The use of a calculator without thinking also introduces errors due to not following "BODMAS"!

I would suggest you try to work out WHY you are doing certain things AND WHY certain results of experiments might have occurred OR WHY a graph has a particular shape.

The manager upstairs (some people call him Jesus!) was nearly as "smart" (I am extrapolating USA lingo to Canada lol) as Sheldon (RE: big bang theory), so everything about nature, the chemicals that make up the earth, the rules of physics that determine the speed of a car, the biochemistry/physiology of our bodies, the shaping of a crater due to lava, the creation of igneous rock after freeze-thawing, etc etc etc have some rationale behind them.

Good luck, and if you just learn TO THINK, you will excel in your exams!

M (science tutor)
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by enzoc19)
    I never know what to study for chemistry. When I have spare time, Id like to be able to gain knowledge of chemistry for tests/quizzes/prep for the final exam, etc. What is the most effective way of studying, (And this goes for other courses such as Math, Economics, English) ... I am in Grade 11 in Canada. Thank you
    Kinetic theory
    Atomic theory
    Structure and bonding
    Formulation and equations
    The laws of thermodynamics
    Collision theory

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.