Turn on thread page Beta

Life after undegraduate degree and how satisfying is completing it? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently completing my final year of undergraduate studies. I'm ofcourse as many have gone through this... feeling a bit demotivated within these last few months. I want to know how it feels like to be done? or submit your last coursework? or complete your last exam? is it how you thought it would be? or is it like most things in life where the results feel awesome for 2 secs and there's just this overwhelming feeling like 'what now? ' Basically give me hope from the other side LOL.

ReputationRep:
    I had a long-term view with it (it was just a step on the road), so I found the whole thing underwhelming. I'll only be truly pleased once I've got the PhD boxed off.

ReputationRep:
    By completing your final year of undergraduate studies just a pinch of salt that needs a lot more adventure after that. The real-life start as soon as you walk out of your Uni life.

Uni life is the best life ever than adults life. Long time ago when i completed my degree i thought that it will be my last goal of everything in life, because of, you know since kids, people and teacher always talked about when you are going to the university then you will be considered as successful people.

Then the real struggle starts after finishing studies and you know it is hard to get work you love it to do. Then need to deal with political environment in the office, then jumping all over to find the jobs and pay the bills..... and i love being at the uni than the real life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gjd800)
    I had a long-term view with it (it was just a step on the road), so I found the whole thing underwhelming. I'll only be truly pleased once I've got the PhD boxed off.
    Good luck with your PHD! I'm thinking of doing masters, but doing the tedious work of my dissertation is making me think... nahhhh maybe not. anyway so it didn't feel as big as you think it would? no big sense of accomplishment? that's what most of my friends who've graduated have said, they're just glad they've done it. Even the ones who have achieved 1st class degrees. no enthusiasm there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cyber1995)
    Good luck with your PHD! I'm thinking of doing masters, but doing the tedious work of my dissertation is making me think... nahhhh maybe not. anyway so it didn't feel as big as you think it would? no big sense of accomplishment? that's what most of my friends who've graduated have said, they're just glad they've done it. Even the ones who have achieved 1st class degrees. no enthusiasm there.
    None at all. I got a first, yeah great - it got me into a masters no questions asked. Did the masters at (high) distinction and felt the same way about that. No pride, no sense of accomplishment. More ambivalent than anything. I only went to the graduations because my Mam badgered me to.

I think I might have looked at it differently had I been 18 when I went to university and didn't have one eye on a doctorate. I've seem the other degrees as inferior necessary stepping stones which, of course, they aren't. Just a skewered perspective on my own part.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gjd800)
    None at all. I got a first, yeah great - it got me into a masters no questions asked. Did the masters at (high) distinction and felt the same way about that. No pride, no sense of accomplishment. More ambivalent than anything. I only went to the graduations because my Mam badgered me to.

I think I might have looked at it differently had I been 18 when I went to university and didn't have one eye on a doctorate. I've seem the other degrees as inferior necessary stepping stones which, of course, they aren't. Just a skewered perspective on my own part.
    Yep definitely skewered! a first? That great! I think sometimes we have to hear it from other people to recognize that we did a good job, even then we have to convince ourselves. I'm also working towards a first for my degree and so far going according to plan with all my grades and stuff. I love the subject I chose but then I still feel like mehhhh...why am i doing this?. Anyway you've given me a lot to think about. Dude thanks, going to ponder on my future life decisions.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.