Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    As an undergraduate with 8 A* , 3A in GCSEs. With 3 predicted A* at A level of biology chemistry maths.
    Would you say from experience this is enough to put in your ps for a course in medicine... Working each school holiday for over half a year at least once a week at a over 50s day centre - befriending, playing games , serving food etc
    3 days shadowing a working dentist - made me more aware of communication skills involved in these types of jobs
    I train for my particular sport 6 times a week at a high level after school, ran for county
    Doing an EPQ , should get A or A*
    Volunteered at athletics races in organising
    Volunteered at local athletics club to help run sessions
    Taken athletics volunteering course
    As well as extra co curricular sports at schoool

I was wondering if this would be enough to be considered by universities e.g. Birmingham if I get an average UKCAT/BMAT , and which unis may be better to apply for. And if I need to do anything else to learn more about the career that i could potentially do when I'm older.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    More than what you put in it , it's how you put it that matters. You have to show your interest in the course , why you want to do it and how you have the skills necessary to cope with the pressures of undergoing a particular course. The extra-curriculars need to be shown as a place from where you've learned transferable skills that will help in the future. Your presentation of these points matters more than anything. Offers can be dropped by a grade or two if the uni feels from your ps that you're a student that they wouldn't want to pass up on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abhinair3004)
    More than what you put in it , it's how you put it that matters. You have to show your interest in the course , why you want to do it and how you have the skills necessary to cope with the pressures of undergoing a particular course. The extra-curriculars need to be shown as a place from where you've learned transferable skills that will help in the future. Your presentation of these points matters more than anything. Offers can be dropped by a grade or two if the uni feels from your ps that you're a student that they wouldn't want to pass up on
    Hey sorry, I forgot too add I'm interested in a medicine course so am wondering from the 24 or so unis which ones would be likely to be interested more into grades / UKCAT , and volunteering that I've learnt from then actual work experience like keele.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharlieLC14)
    Hey sorry, I forgot too add I'm interested in a medicine course so am wondering from the 24 or so unis which ones would be likely to be interested more into grades / UKCAT , and volunteering that I've learnt from then actual work experience like keele.
    You never know what your UKCAT will be until it happens-for some they do much better than expected, others not so well so I wouldn't immediatly start looking at those that are grades/UKCAT heavy. Most unis read the PS and grade it to see what you have learnt. I know glasgow doesn't look at the PS at all though, however your UKCAT should probably be about 2700+ to have a chance at getting an interview because of this.
    I'd search up unis you like the look of and then see what their process is for the application process.

Also how much you have says nothing, it's how you explain what you learnt from it. The skills that you can pass on for a medicine career. Saying you do extra curriculars is a waste of space unless you apply it to medicine-i.e did you learn teamwork or leadership skills maybe

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.