Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    5
    ReputationRep:
    Hello,

    I'm in a bit of a tough (well, I'm definitely not complaining) situation - have offers to decide between competing engineering consultancies (let's say, firm X and firm Y) in Croydon/London.

    The situation is this:

    ~Jan - accepted my only offer then for a graduate position with firm X, thinking that as the other consultancies I had applied to had not gotten back to me, there's probably no reason not to sign and secure myself a job.

    ~mid Feb - March - just finished 2 rounds of interviews (phone and AC) with another engineering consultancy, and was offered a graduate position with firm Y, with an arguably (slightly) better compensation package.

    The position in firm X is more specialised, whereas firm Y is with a larger division of a company, working within the overarching engineering discipline. I am leaning a little towards Y.

    As the title suggests - looking for opinions on how badly would this affect future career prospects/reputation if I renege on the offer?
    • Community Assistant
    Offline

    20
    ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I highly doubt it will make any difference. Just contact the one you don't intend to continue to, apologise and advise them you won't be able to take up the role as you had previously believed. They will then just contact one of the "runners up" and offer it to them usually. Technically speaking until you've signed the contract there isn't much on their end to hold you to them...and even then, they may require you to work the notice period or, more likely, realise it would be more costly for them to spend a month training you on your notice knowing you're going to leave, and let you go.

    Of course there may be nuances to the nature of consultancy specifically that aren't true for general employment (in the engineering sector or otherwise) but I would be surprised if this would be much of an issue.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    5
    ReputationRep:
    The thing is - I did sign, which makes the situation a bit harder! There's no specific term for reneging, only one for notice period of a week during probation (6 months).
    • Community Assistant
    Offline

    20
    ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by 95pt)
    The thing is - I did sign, which makes the situation a bit harder! There's no specific term for reneging, only one for notice period of a week during probation (6 months).
    Then give in your notice, let the other company know you have a 1 week notice period to work, and that's that?

    Maybe check with the other company that they're fine to wait for you to work your notice period first, as you don't want to give in your notice then have your offer withdrawn by the other company when they find out they need to wait a week...which seems unlikely but, you never know.
 
 
 

2,648

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reply
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.