Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello
    I have an observation lesson for an interview for year 2. The lesson has to be on solving problems involving addition and subtraction It's only 20 minutes long. I have 2 ideas for this and wondered which one people thought would be better? 1. Lesson objective to understand that addition and subtraction are inverse of each other. Starter - give the children numbers such as 6, 4 and 10 and the plus, minus and equals sign and ask them to write in whiteboards how many different number sentences get can make. Main - queen Elizabeth(children's current topic is kings and Queens) has been caught by someone (yet to figure this out) and locked up. Children to be detectives and solve the missing number questions to unlock a padlock. Have corresponding padlocks with answers on which children will find and match with the question. The missing numbers will be questions such as 16+?=20 and 20-?=4. Using dienes to support.
    Or solving word problems. Start with a number pyramid where children add numbers together to get the total then teach them strategies to solve word problems with a royal theme. Use numicon and dienes to support.
    In just worried neither of them are overly interactive.
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by sapphire611)
    Hello
    I have an observation lesson for an interview for year 2. The lesson has to be on solving problems involving addition and subtraction It's only 20 minutes long. I have 2 ideas for this and wondered which one people thought would be better? 1. Lesson objective to understand that addition and subtraction are inverse of each other. Starter - give the children numbers such as 6, 4 and 10 and the plus, minus and equals sign and ask them to write in whiteboards how many different number sentences get can make. Main - queen Elizabeth(children's current topic is kings and Queens) has been caught by someone (yet to figure this out) and locked up. Children to be detectives and solve the missing number questions to unlock a padlock. Have corresponding padlocks with answers on which children will find and match with the question. The missing numbers will be questions such as 16+?=20 and 20-?=4. Using dienes to support.
    Or solving word problems. Start with a number pyramid where children add numbers together to get the total then teach them strategies to solve word problems with a royal theme. Use numicon and dienes to support.
    In just worried neither of them are overly interactive.
    I'm probably not the best person to answer this as I'm secondary science but my concern with the first task is if the children have never come across missing number problems before, they might be totally confused and not able to grasp the concept in 20 minutes.

I like the word problems, as you could differentiate this more easily, and make it easier/harder depending on the children.

When you say "interactive" what do you mean? Could you get children to stand up and move around to represent number? Or could you get them to play parts in the word problems?

E.g. One child is the queen, she has fifteen jam tarts, another child is the knave and "steals" three tarts, how many tarts does the queen have left?

Or, another child is the king, he has seven guards (children could play the guards too) and another child is the prince, he has five guards, how many guards all together?

I don't know if this is helpful, but I do think linking to their current topic is a really good idea!

ReputationRep:
    Hello
    I have an observation lesson for an interview for year 2. The lesson has to be on solving problems involving addition and subtraction It's only 20 minutes long. I have 2 ideas for this and wondered which one people thought would be better? 1. Lesson objective to understand that addition and subtraction are inverse of each other. Starter - give the children numbers such as 6, 4 and 10 and the plus, minus and equals sign and ask them to write in whiteboards how many different number sentences get can make.
    It is meant to be a whole lesson in twenty mins? Is the LO is about solving problems, if so then I'd stick to problems.
    Keep the start quick - do they have number fans? If so it would be quicker for you to hold up a digit and get them to hold up the corresponding number to get 10. Number sentences could take ages.
    I like linking ot to Kings and Queesn so make up problems involving that. Have you looked at NRICH to see what they have in the curriculum map?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    It is meant to be a whole lesson in twenty mins? Is the LO is about solving problems, if so then I'd stick to problems.
    Keep the start quick - do they have number fans? If so it would be quicker for you to hold up a digit and get them to hold up the corresponding number to get 10. Number sentences could take ages.
    I like linking ot to Kings and Queesn so make up problems involving that. Have you looked at NRICH to see what they have in the curriculum map?
    Hi
    Thanks for the reply. I like the idea of number fans! I will have to check whether they have any. I did practice it and I went over by a couple of minutes so something quicker would be helpful.

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    Thanks for the reply. I like the idea of number fans! I will have to check whether they have any. I did practice it and I went over by a couple of minutes so something quicker would be helpful.
    Digit cards would work just as well - I do Primary outreach [working with teachers] so you are welcome to PM me.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.