The Student Room Group
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website

commuting from Nottingham to derby royal hospital

Hi all,
I have received an offer to start Bsc Nursing adult in Sept this year. I'm so excited!.... and nervous too.
I have been looking at ways to commute from Nottingham to derby royal hospital and it's a maze! I will have to use my car because of dropping my kids off before going to placement.
Any student nurses out there in the same situation that could advice me?
Thanks
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website
Reply 2
Thanks
Original post by graceykib
Hi all,
I have received an offer to start Bsc Nursing adult in Sept this year. I'm so excited!.... and nervous too.
I have been looking at ways to commute from Nottingham to derby royal hospital and it's a maze! I will have to use my car because of dropping my kids off before going to placement.
Thanks

Hi Graceykib,

From what our students tell us, parking at the hospital can be quite limited and very busy particularly in rush hour!
It might be best to park in the city and get one of the many buses that go to the Royal Derby Hospital - there is a bus that connects the hospitals to the train station if travelling by train would be an option for you rather.

Something to consider :-)

Jess@DarleyBank
Reply 4
thankyou Jess@darleybank. Are there any park and rides in the city centre? the train from Nottingham isn't really an option for me because I have to drop my kids off at my aunty's here in Nottingham, before coming to placement.
thankyou Jess@darleybank. Are there any park and rides in the city centre? the train from Nottingham isn't really an option for me because I have to drop my kids off at my aunty's here in Nottingham, before coming to placement.

Hi Graceykib,

There is one at pride park stadium, but this would take you to the town centre to get the connecting bus to the hospital.
Some useful links:
http://www.derbyhospitals.nhs.uk/about/how-to-find-us/
https://www.derby.gov.uk/transport-and-streets/public-transport/information-and-advice/

I hope this helps :-)

There is lots you can look into transport wise, you could try driving initially then try the buses and see what works best for you. Just leave plenty of time for your journeys.

Good luck in your studies!

Jess@DarleyBank
Reply 6
Thankyou Jess@darleybank, very helpful info.
Reply 7
Hi all,
Thanks

How is it a maze? You just get on A52 and it's a straight drive.
Parking is limited, but as a student with kids you should get a staff parking pass.

I don't know what time nurses have to be in for and where you need to drop your kids at, but there's a free hopper bus going from UoN campus to RDH
Reply 8
Thanks for you reply Nottie, driving to derby isn't a maze. I was worried about where to leave my car.
Thanks for the info about the staff parking pass. I didn't know that. I heard though it could be months before you get your pass. I will be dropping my kids off here in Nottingham before going to derby.

I think placements start at 7am till 730pm and the hopper bus doesn't run that early or that late.
Reply 9
Thanks for you reply Nottie, driving to derby isn't a maze. I was worried about where to leave my car.
Thanks for the info about the staff parking pass. I didn't know that. I heard though it could be months before you get your pass. I will be dropping my kids off here in Nottingham before going to derby.

I think placements start at 7am till 730pm and the hopper bus doesn't run that early or that late.

It runs that late, but not that early.

Medical students get passes allocated within a week or so, but I think it's only down to education centre to allocate their batch to individual students.

E-mail your admin person and ask about that. I am pretty sure you will get priority because of your children
Reply 10
okay I will do. Thank you so much for your help. Really appreciate it.😊🤗

Quick Reply

Latest