Turn on thread page Beta

Could somebody please help me with these interview questions for WHSmith? watch

ReputationRep:
    1) how would you deal with a busy store + duties given to you by a manager?

2) how would you deal with a situation where the till is really busy but your manager is on your back about a job being completed by a certain time (I guess this is similar to 1)

3) on a busy day you have been asked to fulfil multiple tasks that won't be completed on time - how do you approach this situation?

4) how would you manage your time if you had a long queue at the till, the sandwiches had just been delivered and your manager asked you to sweep the floor?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    What do you think you should do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    What do you think you should do?
    Well I don't know that's why I'm asking, I guess it's generally along the lines of stay an extra ten minutes or ask for help from another department, but I just wanted some more detailed answers from some clever people on here 😁

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mayavalentine)
    Well I don't know that's why I'm asking, I guess it's generally along the lines of stay an extra ten minutes or ask for help from another department, but I just wanted some more detailed answers from some clever people on here 😁
    Hi Mayavalentine,

I worked in a supermarket for a while, questions are probably pretty transferrable I'd imagine so I'll help you as far as I can.
    The customer is the priority is in my experience what they want to hear at interviews, but communication with other staff and team work is a big focus too. They want someone who will work hard, but isn't afraid to ask for help when they need it and when it will impact the customers experience. Prioritising tasks and asking about things you're unsure of are always good.

Best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Connor0912)
    Hi Mayavalentine,

I worked in a supermarket for a while, questions are probably pretty transferrable I'd imagine so I'll help you as far as I can.
    The customer is the priority is in my experience what they want to hear at interviews, but communication with other staff and team work is a big focus too. They want someone who will work hard, but isn't afraid to ask for help when they need it and when it will impact the customers experience. Prioritising tasks and asking about things you're unsure of are always good.

Best of luck.
    Thanks that really helped 👍🏼
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

2) how would you deal with a situation where the till is really busy but your manager is on your back about a job being completed by a certain time (I guess this is similar to 1)

3) on a busy day you have been asked to fulfil multiple tasks that won't be completed on time - how do you approach this situation?

4) how would you manage your time if you had a long queue at the till, the sandwiches had just been delivered and your manager asked you to sweep the floor?
    I'll move this over to Part-time and Temporary employment for you :borat:

ReputationRep:

I work part time at whsmith so i might be able to help
    A lot of the questions are common sense really, you shouldn't find it too difficult.

1. Customers are number 1 priority! Always serve/help them first before completing duties.

2. If there are self-checkouts in that store then encourage customers to use it. Also if youre not running the whole store by yourself (like me) then you should ask a colleague to help you. Teamwork is another important aspect.

3. Prioritise important tasks first.

4. Once again, ask a colleague to help if youre not by youself. Otherwise, serve customers first then sort out the deliveries before sweeping. Sweeping can wait but sandwiches cant, they have to be in the chiller or they can go off especially in hot weather.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1secondsofvamps)
    I work part time at whsmith so i might be able to help
    A lot of the questions are common sense really, you shouldn't find it too difficult.

1. Customers are number 1 priority! Always serve/help them first before completing duties.

2. If there are self-checkouts in that store then encourage customers to use it. Also if youre not running the whole store by yourself (like me) then you should ask a colleague to help you. Teamwork is another important aspect.

3. Prioritise important tasks first.

4. Once again, ask a colleague to help if youre not by youself. Otherwise, serve customers first then sort out the deliveries before sweeping. Sweeping can wait but sandwiches cant, they have to be in the chiller or they can go off especially in hot weather.
    Thanks for your help!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.