Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey All, I'm currently in year 12 soon going to be in year 13 and Im struggling with Sociology, particularly 30 and 20 mark questions and Ive got mocks coming up in June and I dont know how to revise and make sure I get a good grade. Im a C grade student but really aiming for an A*, I know thats a unrealistic goal but dos anyone know how I can improve on essays and how I should revise for the upcoming mocks?

Thank You

ReputationRep:
    The best way to improve your essays is to keep doing them, getting them marked and working on the feedback given. For 20 markers you should have 4 paragraphs and introduction and conclusion, you need at least one name in each paragraph and loads on concepts, you need to evaluate each paragraph and be sure to use this shows statements to link it back to the question, this is the same for 30 makers but you want 6 paragraphs plus intro and conclusion instead of 4. Remember you can't get A*s in year 12
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmamariekitty)
    The best way to improve your essays is to keep doing them, getting them marked and working on the feedback given. For 20 markers you should have 4 paragraphs and introduction and conclusion, you need at least one name in each paragraph and loads on concepts, you need to evaluate each paragraph and be sure to use this shows statements to link it back to the question, this is the same for 30 makers but you want 6 paragraphs plus intro and conclusion instead of 4. Remember you can't get A*s in year 12
    Thank you for replying!
    Will try to practise the essays more often, and Ive always had a problem with linking back to the question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Alisha*)
    Hey All, I'm currently in year 12 soon going to be in year 13 and Im struggling with Sociology, particularly 30 and 20 mark questions and Ive got mocks coming up in June and I dont know how to revise and make sure I get a good grade. Im a C grade student but really aiming for an A*, I know thats a unrealistic goal but dos anyone know how I can improve on essays and how I should revise for the upcoming mocks?

Thank You
    Hi,

I'm also in Year 12 and I am doing Sociology too. I am doing quite well so far and I am doing it in the AQA exam board so forgive me if what I say is not relevant. I am going to give you a structure that can apply to most, if not all 20 and 30 marker questions.

For 30 markers (not 20 markers) you want to begin with an introduction that defines the key concepts in the question given. This will help you refer back to these concepts later in the essay.

Then you want to begin your first paragraph by quoting from the Item that is given to you. Find a quote from the item that is relevant to answering the question and you know you can explain using sociologists.

This could be said like this "A stated in Item A, ".....","

After you quote from the Item, you want to explain what is meant by the quote. Use the phrase "This means that" and give a nice explanation that interprets the quote. This should be 2 or 3 sentences long.

After you've explained, use a real-life example to show you've understood the concept. For example, if talking about family and households, talk about the roles of husbands and wives or something that is relevant to the question.

Then you need to use some evidence. This is where sociologists are useful. For example, Young and Willmott (1973) state that ....

Then you want to link this evidence back to the question by stating what is shows. Use the phrase 'Therefore,' which should help you interpret the findings of the particular sociologist.

This should be the end of your first point. Leave a line and then evaluate the point you have just made. Do this by saying "However, other sociologist such as ... may disagree because"

If you repeat this multiple times for all the points you need to make, you should get a great mark.

Lastly, when you have finished making all your points, write a conclusion that directly answers the question and sums up your whole essay.

I hope this helps, sorry for making it so long

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A.H365)
    Hi,

I'm also in Year 12 and I am doing Sociology too. I am doing quite well so far and I am doing it in the AQA exam board so forgive me if what I say is not relevant. I am going to give you a structure that can apply to most, if not all 20 and 30 marker questions.

For 30 markers (not 20 markers) you want to begin with an introduction that defines the key concepts in the question given. This will help you refer back to these concepts later in the essay.

Then you want to begin your first paragraph by quoting from the Item that is given to you. Find a quote from the item that is relevant to answering the question and you know you can explain using sociologists.

After you quote from the Item, you want to explain what is meant by the quote. Use the phrase "This means that" and give a nice explanation that interprets the quote. This should be 2 or 3 sentences long.

After you've explained, use a real-life example to show you've understood the concept. For example, if talking about family and households, talk about the roles of husbands and wives or something that is relevant to the question.

Then you need to use some evidence. This is where sociologists are useful. For example, Young and Willmott (1973) state that ....

Then you want to link this evidence back to the question by stating what is shows. Use the phrase 'Therefore,' which should help you interpret the findings of the particular sociologist.

This should be the end of your first point. Leave a line and then evaluate the point you have just made. Do this by saying "However, other sociologist such as ... may disagree because"

If you repeat this multiple times for all the points you need to make, you should get a great mark.

Lastly, when you have finished making all your points, write a conclusion that directly answers the question and sums up your whole essay.

Thank you soo much, this was really helpful! Its fine, thank you for taking your time to respond! I will certainly use this structure in my essays.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A.H365)
    Hi,

Thanks a lot again, I did an essay and used this structure and got it marked and I got an A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Alisha*)
    Thanks a lot again, I did an essay and used this structure and got it marked and I got an A.
    I'm glad I could help.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.