Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I was actually gonna go study abroad for NTU as my first choice but now after this incident happened with the racial abuse I am having second thoughts tbh.
    Including the quality of the university itself it is also very important for me that it is a multiracial place where blacks and other minorities can feel comfortable as I am one myself. Are things like these common there? Is the uni predominantly white or quite multiracial?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Destinyxxx)
    So I was actually gonna go study abroad for NTU as my first choice but now after this incident happened with the racial abuse I am having second thoughts tbh.
    Including the quality of the university itself it is also very important for me that it is a multiracial place where blacks and other minorities can feel comfortable as I am one myself. Are things like these common there? Is the uni predominantly white or quite multiracial?
    I'll move this to the NTU subforum.

I'm sure the incident at NTU was isolated. Don't let a single incident put you off going to a particular university.

ReputationRep:
    Not speaking from my personal experience, but instead from what I've heard from a family member who was there a few years ago. He said that he felt the environment was generally very accepting of different people - so long as they were not rude, and he hadn't heard of any incidents of racism or bigotry whilst on his course (he did biochemistry), and definitely nothing like what happened to that poor girl. That said, this was a couple years ago and so things may have changed in the time in-between.
    Comments from other students on what happened seem to generally suggest that this was an isolated incident as well.
    Again, take everything I say with a grain of salt since this isn't first hand experience.

ReputationRep:
    Well, as a student there currently, I was shocked to hear that there was an incident in the first place. I myself am a student from abroad and haven't encountered any issues. NTU has many more UK students than international students, however everyone is welcomed in the same way. There are many people that are of a different race, religion, nationality, etc. There is even a global lounge and global week is celebrated where everyone is welcomed to share and learn from each other.
    I would call the incident as a one-time thing, really. Sadly, coming to university in general doesn't mean that everyone will be mature. I would partially call it poor disciplining - whether drunk or not, people still need to learn that this kind of thing is not okay.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Destinyxxx)
    Hi Destinyxxx

Really sorry for the delayed reply to your post.

We appreciate that what happened could be worrying for any potential student, but this was an isolated incident at NTU and is simply not tolerated. The students responsible for this have been suspended and there is an ongoing police investigation.

Nottingham is a hugely multicultural city - It would be a shame to let a single incident such as this put you off pursuing your education how you would like to.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to let me know.

Chris

ReputationRep:
    All universities are diverse except places like Royal Agricultural College and Courtauld

ReputationRep:
    I think it was a one off thing, doesn't really represent what the city/ uni is like as a whole.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rickyrossman)
    All universities are diverse except places like Royal Agricultural College and Courtauld
    What makes these two exceptions?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 10, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.