Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing AQA Biology GCSE and our recommended text by the school is the CGP books but they are not using the "correct" wording and it's kind of stressing me out.
    If I know the topic, I can spot when they have not used the specific wording. For example, in ecology, it says something about the carbohydrates, proteins and lipids making up the 'bodies' of the plants whereas the mark scheme says 'biomass'. It doesn't happen very often but it's worrying me a bit because in some cases, the mark depends on the wording.
    I've been looking through the specification and that's been mostly helpful although it does condense some things down so you don't see which words they're looking for.

Has anyone else had this problem, or does anyone have any suggestions for other books I can look at, please?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by florencechild)
    I'm doing AQA Biology GCSE and our recommended text by the school is the CGP books but they are not using the "correct" wording and it's kind of stressing me out.
    If I know the topic, I can spot when they have not used the specific wording. For example, in ecology, it says something about the carbohydrates, proteins and lipids making up the 'bodies' of the plants whereas my teacher and the mark scheme says 'biomass'. It doesn't happen very often but it's frustrating because obviously, the mark hangs on the wording.
    I've been looking through the specification and that's been mostly helpful although it does condense some things down so you don't see which words they're looking for.

Has anyone else had this problem, or does anyone have any suggestions for other books I can look at, please?

Thank you
    Well, the book is right from a perspective.
    As with the examlpe you used all the molecules are involved in the "bodies" of the plant is some way:
    * lipids = forms the cell membrane or organelle membranes
    * proteins = eg for enzymes or providing mechanical support for cell surface membranes, as well as forming protein channels or carrier proteins.
    * carbohydrates = for energy storage but can also be used in conjunction with proteins/lipids to form glycoproteins/glycolipids which have their importance in the cell surface membrane.

The molecules do contribute to the plants biomass. And they are all respiratory substrates. The MS uses biomass to generalise and include all the molecules/cells etc

Unless there is another example which uses wrong wording then the CGP books are fine in terms of the theory understanding.
    The CGP books are there for theory/knowledge assimilation only, and you use the practise/mock papers and MS for exam techniques.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 10, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.