Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have looked at my modules starting in October and I have seen I will need microphone with headphones to participate in online discussions, can anyone elaborate on this? thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Speak into the microphone and others will be able to hear you.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure what the details will be, obviously, but it would most likely be inside the OU's online tutorial room (which is kind of like Skype).

Hope that answers your question :-)

ReputationRep:
    Oh GOD, looks like this will be very awkward.

ReputationRep:
    from what I've read on other posts, you may not need to have a mike as they participated in tutorials where questions were typed into the text box.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RuthieG101)
    from what I've read on other posts, you may not need to have a mike as they participated in tutorials where questions were typed into the text box.
    That's true for normal online tutorials, but the original posters's course has 'online discussions' (as they said in their post).

(Original post by Terminator01)
    Oh GOD, looks like this will be very awkward.
    If it helps lessen the awkwardness.. they won't see your face! I'm sure that make it a little easier
    Also, the tutors are great, so if you don't fully participate the first time, etc, they will totally understand I'm sure. Everyone is going to be feeling quite awkward or embarrassed but it's probably going to be really enjoyable too... hopefully.. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for clarifying between the two types of communication.
    I'm new to this, and don't start my degree with ou until October.

ReputationRep:
    You can chat during tutorials. Some people do it, others just like to listen.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Terminator01)
    Hi,

I have looked at my modules starting in October and I have seen I will need microphone with headphones to participate in online discussions, can anyone elaborate on this? thanks.
    Firstly, you do not have to speak if you do not want to. There is a chat box but you can also just sit and watch/listen.You view like a powerpoint presentation together basically. There is no live footage of you or other students or even the tutor. You do not need to purchase anything, your laptop will have a built in microphone and it's done with Adobe connect through a website which is linked under tutorials near the time. You can use it on your mobile phone.

A lot of people choose not to talk which is perfectly okay and the tutors don't force anyone to. The tutors do like some feedback so they know they're not confusing anyone but there's buttons that you can use which can tell the tutor that they're going to fast or too slow etc. It's nothing to worry about and you may find that you don't need to attend any.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.