The Student Room Group

CIE A level History 9389 2018

Scroll to see replies

Hi there, just wondering if anyone did the America option on the paper yesterday? I've been trying to find someone who has. Sorry to ruin the thread's flow, just kinda desperate to find someone to see how they answered it!

Thanks and sorry again :smile:
I have already done my AS last year but doing A levels this year; what topics are you doing??
Original post by glittergorl
I’m doing AS and A2 History too!! How did you find Paper 1??
Original post by miharuxx
yes! i do my sources paper on unification of italy and germany, i just did the exam today.
my second paper we studied on russia and ww1 ,, ww1 is pretty boring aswell sigh
i havent done IGCSE level in history!! but so far, i feel like history is okay for me haha

what did you teachers tell you in order to answer the source Paper 1 on italy and germany unification? Can you share with us any resources your teacher gave you on Paper 1 and 2?

are you doing A2 in October 2018?

Thanks.

Original post by fortytwo
I actually started this thread quite far in advance haha I'm only doing my AS in October this year, then A2 in October next year. But how was paper 1 for you?

Cool, how'd the exam go? Are you taking other subjects?

wow thats so cool. its really good to prepare in advance. so that means you'll go to uni in 2020 August? What degree course do you plan to do?
Reply 23
Original post by Audrey18

so that means you'll go to uni in 2020 August? What degree course do you plan to do?

Well it depends on which country I go to and how the semesters are structured, but yeah it'll be 2020.

I'm about as lost as a person can be in terms of subjects 🙃 I've considered biology and its subfields, history and linguistics seriously. Right now I'm just kinda reading around all the subjects and trying to figure out what I should do. Probably don't have the a level subjects for anything language/linguistics related though (at least in the UK).
Well it depends on which country I go to and how the semesters are structured, but yeah it'll be 2020.

I'm about as lost as a person can be in terms of subjects 🙃 I've considered biology and its subfields, history and linguistics seriously. Right now I'm just kinda reading around all the subjects and trying to figure out what I should do. Probably don't have the a level subjects for anything language/linguistics related though (at least in the UK).

Consider the top unis in China, Australia and Singapore. They offer full scholarships free of charge.
I’ve taken paper 1 and paper 2 was this morning, found paper 1 a bit difficult on the timing but paper 2 felt ok today! Thanks for these resources - super helpful! I’ve still got 3 & 4 this summer
Reply 26
Consider the top unis in China, Australia and Singapore. They offer full scholarships free of charge.

I will, thanks! Australia would actually be ideal for me in so many ways but it's bloody expensive, both in terms of tuition and cost of living. Definitely applying for Singapore (it's like 4 hours away from home by train), a little scary to be putting myself in the pressure cooker of Singaporean academic life though. I'm not sure I could stand living in China for 3 years, looking like a Chinese, but not speaking a word of any Chinese dialect. I get enough dirty looks at the Chinese hawker stalls here already.
I've actually been thinking about non-UK European countries as well, just because tuition is so cheap. My French is ~B1/B2 at the moment, so if I put in the effort over the next couple of years it should be up to scratch by the time I apply. I'm not sure what studying in a different language would do to my job prospects though.
Reply 27
Original post by ChickenRun
I’ve taken paper 1 and paper 2 was this morning, found paper 1 a bit difficult on the timing but paper 2 felt ok today! Thanks for these resources - super helpful! I’ve still got 3 & 4 this summer

Paper 1 will always feel too short haha. I'm glad you found them useful!

hi. you're doing AS and A2 in one sitting?
where r u from? im from germany.
which topics r u doing for paper 3 and 4?
what topics did you do for paper 2?
what other subjects r u doing with CIE?

I will, thanks! Australia would actually be ideal for me in so many ways but it's bloody expensive, both in terms of tuition and cost of living. Definitely applying for Singapore (it's like 4 hours away from home by train), a little scary to be putting myself in the pressure cooker of Singaporean academic life though. I'm not sure I could stand living in China for 3 years, looking like a Chinese, but not speaking a word of any Chinese dialect. I get enough dirty looks at the Chinese hawker stalls here already.
I've actually been thinking about non-UK European countries as well, just because tuition is so cheap. My French is ~B1/B2 at the moment, so if I put in the effort over the next couple of years it should be up to scratch by the time I apply. I'm not sure what studying in a different language would do to my job prospects though.

im sure you know what to do what its time to make a decision.
hi. you're doing AS and A2 in one sitting?
where r u from? im from germany.
which topics r u doing for paper 3 and 4?
what topics did you do for paper 2?
what other subjects r u doing with CIE?

im sure you know what to do what its time to make a decision.

Yep, AS and A2 in one sitting! I'm from the UK but homeschooled online in an international school hence the CIE exam board choice.

Paper 1 I did International Relations so LON/UN, Paper 2 European option - French Revolution/Origins of WW1, Paper 3 Cold War, and Paper 4 I'm doing European Dictators, Mussolini and Lenin.

Its cool to find people doing the same history papers as me, CIE is quite different from the other exam boards in the UK, I quite enjoy the more 'modern' history, anything further back than 1700's I don't find nearly as interesting!
Yep, AS and A2 in one sitting! I'm from the UK but homeschooled online in an international school hence the CIE exam board choice.

Paper 1 I did International Relations so LON/UN, Paper 2 European option - French Revolution/Origins of WW1, Paper 3 Cold War, and Paper 4 I'm doing European Dictators, Mussolini and Lenin.

Its cool to find people doing the same history papers as me, CIE is quite different from the other exam boards in the UK, I quite enjoy the more 'modern' history, anything further back than 1700's I don't find nearly as interesting!

for paper 1 and 3, do u have any resources on how to answer source based questions?
are you doing any other subjects with CIE?
Oh whoops forgot to say - I'm doing Economics and English Language with CIE too :smile: I don't have resources for the source questions as such but have plenty of notes and essay's I've done that have been marked by my teacher - I'd be happy to send them if thats of help? Do you have the 'official' textbook? It has a chapter in the back about essay work which is quite useful.

I have a binder of all my work that includes the syllabus (really useful for checking exactly what you need to know), practice papers, mark schemes and examiner reports all of which is on the Cambridge website I think. I find these really helpful for revision etc.

http://www.cambridgeinternational.org/i-want-to/find-syllabus-materials/
Did any one do CIE paper 32 today?
I did the Holocaust one... Found it quite a difficult extract to interpret!!
At first reading it looked like intentionalist argument, but after reading it through twice I realised it was a synthesis question (a mix of functionalist and intentionalist). Fortunately I had practiced a few of those.
Reply 34
I put synthesis with intentionalist and functionalist features
Reply 35
although my other classmate got intentionalist with structuralist features
Did anyone do the Cold War? I thought it was quite challenging, it wasn't very obvious..
Hey!!! I chose the Cold War option. Yeahhh it’s pretty challenging. What school of thought did u choose?
Original post by sagynaaida
Hey!!! I chose the Cold War option. Yeahhh it’s pretty challenging. What school of thought did u choose?

I chose Revisionist, thank god!
How did those of you who are sitting A2 find paper 3? How much did you write and which topics did you do. I did the holocaust option. Worried that I took it too lightly

Quick Reply

Latest