Turn on thread page Beta

So, I'm 18 and have a part time job, from which I around £250 - £300 per month. This is great for me since I'm not yet in university and essentially have all of that money to myself. The only issue is, if I spend even a small some, such as £5, I feel like I'm going to keep overspending and then become broke by the next pay day. Now, this hasn't yet happened as I do try to budget with my money, but I always feel like I'm going to spend it all, and even feel uncomfortable when my balance gets down to £200. I do feel lucky to have the money I do, because a lot of my friends still don't have a job and their families don't have much money.

What is wrong with me?

ReputationRep:
    Nothing really, it is good to save up so that you're not controlled by debt and you can enjoy your retirement when that time arrives
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Nothing is wrong with you. This isn't natural thinking towards money because most people aren't brought up with good money habits. But the way you are thinking is good. You're also not alone, I'm very frugal with my spending, I hate spending money (unless I'm buying books) and like to keep my accounts above a set minimum to remain comfortable with my savings.

(Original post by shawn_o1)
    Nothing really, it is good to save up so that you're not controlled by debt and you can enjoy your retirement when that time arrives
    I somewhat disagree with this. It encourages the idea that a person should save all their money to enjoy retirement, when they may well be told old to enjoy it. The idea of saving money is good and thinking about things like retirement are important. But that shouldn't be the end goal of saving. It's important to balance saving money with enjoying it while you can.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Nothing is wrong with you. This isn't natural thinking towards money because most people aren't brought up with good money habits. But the way you are thinking is good. You're also not alone, I'm very frugal with my spending, I hate spending money (unless I'm buying books) and like to keep my accounts above a set minimum to remain comfortable with my savings.

I somewhat disagree with this. It encourages the idea that a person should save all their money to enjoy retirement, when they may well be told old to enjoy it. The idea of saving money is good and thinking about things like retirement are important. But that shouldn't be the end goal of saving. It's important to balance saving money with enjoying it while you can.

I agree.
    Theres nothing wrong with saving money. I admit im a bit of a tightwad.
    At least you will have some money saved up for uni, whereas others you know wont.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So, I'm 18 and have a part time job, from which I around £250 - £300 per month. This is great for me since I'm not yet in university and essentially have all of that money to myself. The only issue is, if I spend even a small some, such as £5, I feel like I'm going to keep overspending and then become broke by the next pay day. Now, this hasn't yet happened as I do try to budget with my money, but I always feel like I'm going to spend it all, and even feel uncomfortable when my balance gets down to £200. I do feel lucky to have the money I do, because a lot of my friends still don't have a job and their families don't have much money.

What is wrong with me?
    What's wrong with you? -> You're being a bit too greedy/frugal with your money.

You shouldn't worry too much about money since there's nothing wrong with indulging, it's just a matter of how much.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    I agree.
    Theres nothing wrong with saving money. I admit im a bit of a tightwad.
    At least you will have some money saved up for uni, whereas others you know wont.
    Having money saved up for uni helped me a lot. Besides paying for my car insurance I was also in the position to spend a few hundred trying out societies and all sorts of stuff in my first year without worrying about the cost. I easily went through £500 in my first semester trying out new things and it was absolutely worth it but would not have been practical if I'd been relying on my loan. Personally I think everyone should have enough savings before going to uni that they can at least partially support themselves without their loan.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.