Turn on thread page Beta

I have never really suffered from bad headaches before except from the occasional one. Yet recently I’ve started getting headaches really often, especially in college and when I am reading/studying. Not only this but I still have a mild headache throughout most of the night on schooldays. I have been to get glasses but they don’t stop my headaches and I don’t know what to do next?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Why would glasses stop a headache(if they're too strong they can make it worse)
    I'd suggest drinking more water-if this doesn't help and it persists for quite a while, maybe see a GP
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by AzureCeleste)
    Why would glasses stop a headache(if they're too strong they can make it worse)
    I'd suggest drinking more water-if this doesn't help and it persists for quite a while, maybe see a GP
    Eye strain can cause headaches.

OP - could be a number of things. I get migraine headaches if there's too much light or if I haven't eaten or drunk enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have never really suffered from bad headaches before except from the occasional one. Yet recently I’ve started getting headaches really often, especially in college and when I am reading/studying. Not only this but I still have a mild headache throughout most of the night on schooldays. I have been to get glasses but they don’t stop my headaches and I don’t know what to do next?
    You can get headaches if you're deficient in a certain mineral or nutrient. For me it's iron. Go to your GP, they're probably recommend a blood test
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    With regular headaches the thing to do is see an optician and GP cos it can be an eye issue or a something else issue.
    You've done the optician part so now for the GP bit. There can be loads of reasons for regular headaches, but most of the time is not anything terribly worrying. Reason is worth getting checked is a) could be a more big issue and b) they could well help reduce your headaches which is always a good thing.
    In the meantime I would have a think about how much you drink (as in water etc), how much sleep you get, if you're stressed at the moment and if there's anything else going on that's a bit unusual you've noticed. That could help your GP work things out.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Go to your GP and your optician.
    Do the glasses help your headaches? Do they make them easier/lighter? Do you feel they help your vision? It is hard to fit a teen with focusing problems, because you don't know the exact prescription they really need because they often 'fight' the right one or 'demand' too strong one, or even both. It is important to cooperate with the optician, I often ask to come in 1-2 weeks for a follow up and sometimes have to change the prescription even if the patients says it's ok because the prescription is either too strong or too weak according to the follow up check.
    Do you get stressed?
    Did you check your blood recently?
    Have you change any medication? (contraceptive pill, anti-depressant or something).
    Have you change your habbits? (nutrition, sleep patern, smoking....)

Any of the above can effect in headaches.

ReputationRep:
    Have regular breaks and ensure you’re eating and drink enough and at regular intervals.

ReputationRep:
    I struggled with migraines (and other things like heartburn and fatigue) for a long time. I tried glasses and other self-medication but it didn't work. I had a blood test done, and apparently it was stress, which was causing Iron-deficiency anemia and B12 deficiencies.
    You should definitely see a GP. In the meantime, try yoga/some other stress-buster, eat healthy (nothing too heavy but don't starve) and sleep well (that's so important!) Almost anything could cause a headache...so yeah, GP ASAP I guess.
    Hope this helps!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 10, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.