The Student Room Group

UWE ( University of the West of England ) or Greenwich for LAW/LLB?

Hey all!

I have been given offers to study law at these universities and I am struggling with making one of them my firm . If anyone has studied there or is currently studying there/ thinking of going there...please get back to me.

Before anyone comes and says that I should take a year out and get better grades, I am not going to do that. Yes, the universities aren't fantastic but these are the ones I have chosen.

Many thanks.
Reply 1
Due to financial reasons...I cannot afford to spend a year of my life not being in education and spending 2K on retaking exams. Also if I don't go this year I probably will never attend university.
Original post by BiancaMD
Due to financial reasons...I cannot afford to spend a year of my life not being in education and spending 2K on retaking exams. Also if I don't go this year I probably will never attend university.

What are your grades, if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 3
Original post by Notoriety
What are your grades, if you don't mind me asking?

I don't mind at all, don't worry. :smile:

I'm still doing my exams at the moment (A Levels) but I am predicted:

B- English Lit
B- Psychology
D/E-Biology
B- Extended Project

so they obviously aren't great but that's because of a personal matter...
Scholarships alone, at a better (thereby richer) university, could far eclipse the £2000.

I don't mind at all, don't worry. :smile:

I'm still doing my exams at the moment (A Levels) but I am predicted:

B- English Lit
B- Psychology
D/E-Biology
B- Extended Project

so they obviously aren't great but that's because of a personal matter...

They're not great, but (bar the D) they are really not UWE level. There's a middle ground between Warwick and UWE, likes of RHUL or Liverpool. If you could exceed your predictions, there might be no need to lay down £2000 or lose a year of your life.

Now this isn't the question you asked us. Simply they are both about the same; Greenwich is in London (which is fun) and UWE is in Bristol (which is also fun, and very much a mini-London experience).
Reply 5
I can see your point and I have thought about doing so in the past it's just that at the moment it seems impossible due to many reasons which is why I asked about your opinion on those two universities (strictly). I have had many people telling me the same things but I have also had people being able to secure places at national firms by going to much worse universities than the ones specified above.

Considering this, which would you recommend?
Reply 6
Scholarships alone, at a better (thereby richer) university, could far eclipse the £2000.

They're not great, but (bar the D) they are really not UWE level. There's a middle ground between Warwick and UWE, likes of RHUL or Liverpool. If you could exceed your predictions, there might be no need to lay down £2000 or lose a year of your life.

Now this isn't the question you asked us. Simply they are both about the same; Greenwich is in London (which is fun) and UWE is in Bristol (which is also fun, and very much a mini-London experience).

That is true. As for the universities, they are but aren't the same. What's holding me back is the fact that UWE is somewhere in the 60's and Greenwich is somewhere in the 80's. Compared to Greenwich UWE has been higher up in the tables in the past where as Greenwich has maintained the same position... Although Greenwich is worse I have had people telling me that I should go to Greenwich just because it's in London and that would give me better access to firms and etc...

What do you think?
That is true. As for the universities, they are but aren't the same. What's holding me back is the fact that UWE is somewhere in the 60's and Greenwich is somewhere in the 80's. Compared to Greenwich UWE has been higher up in the tables in the past where as Greenwich has maintained the same position... Although Greenwich is worse I have had people telling me that I should go to Greenwich just because it's in London and that would give me better access to firms and etc...

What do you think?

If you check out CUG Law rankings, UWE is 60th and Greenwich is 64th. That's no difference at all.

NB: rankings are not what you should base your decision on. They don't matter and once you go over 50, they matter even less.
Reply 8
If you check out CUG Law rankings, UWE is 60th and Greenwich is 64th. That's no difference at all.

NB: rankings are not what you should base your decision on. They don't matter and once you go over 50, they matter even less.

Yeah but considering UWE is doing well overall (not just Law wise) would you recommend going there instead of going to London as I’d be able to get more experience during my uni years ?
Yeah but considering UWE is doing well overall (not just Law wise) would you recommend going there instead of going to London as I’d be able to get more experience during my uni years ?

Its doing better than Greenwich (but not well) in biology, English or politics does not tell you anything about your experience of its law course.
Reply 10
Its doing better than Greenwich (but not well) in biology, English or politics does not tell you anything about your experience of its law course.

Yeah, exactly. It’s also ranked as 60 something generally where as Greenwich is in the 89-90’s. It’s safe to say I’m confused.
Yeah, exactly. It’s also ranked as 60 something generally where as Greenwich is in the 89-90’s. It’s safe to say I’m confused.

I always give the same advice re Bristol. It is a lovely city which offers a mini-London experience. For me, you get the vibrancy of a city you expect while also having a modicum of community feel. Very big fan of Bristol. London for uni, well, it's easy to feel anonymous in an anonymous city. You might like that escape, but it is something I deplore. Though, how UWE students pronounce "UWE", as ew-ee, is equally a disgrace to humanity.

Re rankings, the rankings are similar. Forget about this overall stuff.
Reply 12
I always give the same advice re Bristol. It is a lovely city which offers a mini-London experience. For me, you get the vibrancy of a city you expect while also having a modicum of community feel. Very big fan of Bristol. London for uni, well, it's easy to feel anonymous in an anonymous city. You might like that escape, but it is something I deplore. Though, how UWE students pronounce "UWE", as ew-ee, is equally a disgrace to humanity.

Re rankings, the rankings are similar. Forget about this overall stuff.

Forget about the overall stuff and take into consideration what instead ?
Forget about the overall stuff and take into consideration what instead ?

Whatever else you find relevant.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending