Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I want to take four A levels to begin with and if I drop one so be it, I'm currently set on doing A level Chemistry, biology and English literature but I'm not sure on what else to take. Any ideas? Also do these A levels seem like good ones universities would value?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by JamieLouiseXox)
    So I want to take four A levels to begin with and if I drop one so be it, I'm currently set on doing A level Chemistry, biology and English literature but I'm not sure on what else to take. Any ideas? Also do these A levels seem like good ones universities would value?
    What are you thinking of doing at uni?

ReputationRep:
    Universities value everything but something like General Studies. It’s not the university head that chooses if you get in, it’s the course runners. Therefore subjects that apply to what course you are doing are necessary, in most cases. Those A levels are completely fine, but it depends on what you wanted to do
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Take 'Maths' since it's one of those hard A level's that most universities appreciate.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by barneywherry)
    Universities value everything but something like General Studies. It’s not the university head that chooses if you get in, it’s the course runners. Therefore subjects that apply to what course you are doing are necessary, in most cases. Those A levels are completely fine, but it depends on what you wanted to do
    I totally agree that that general studies is a load of bull****.
    Unfortunately it was compulsory at my old 6th form (as an extra a-level). Our head of 6th form told us a load of bull**** about it as well.

ReputationRep:
    It depends what you want to do. If you want to do something that has requirements (e.g. Medicine you will need 2 sciences as I recall) you will obviously have to meet those. If not, it's really up to you.

Depending on the university and the subject, may depend on the value of the subject. E.g. if you're applying to quite prestigious universities, I imagine they'll be more impressed with 'traditional' subjects (English, Maths, Science) or 'reasoning' subjects (History, Psychology) rather than more practical ones (Art, Drama) - although obviously this is depending on whether you're applying to do Art or Drama etc.

Generally, I'd advise thinking about what the subject you want to study at university entails. E.g. Law is a lot of reasoning and 'essay' like work, so 'reasoning' subjects are often preferable to some universities.

Although it's obviously important you choose subject you enjoy because it's 2 years of studying and if you don't enjoy it it will be less likely you will get good grades.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.