Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

https://imgur.com/a/1jtaX

I’m finding this image confusing - why is the light parallel in one and not parallel in the other?

Thanks
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JacobPowell)
    Hi all,

https://imgur.com/a/1jtaX

I’m finding this image confusing - why is the light parallel in one and not parallel in the other?

Thanks
    The parallel light waves are wavefronts, the lines are light rays. Essentially, a ray is perpendicular to a wavefronts. It is done like this to make the image less messy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kushala Daora)
    The parallel light waves are wavefronts, the lines are light rays. Essentially, a ray is perpendicular to a wavefronts. It is done like this to make the image less messy.
    I don’t mean the incident wave, but the two main images, where one looks like both rays meet at P and the other the rays themselves are parallel.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JacobPowell)
    I don’t mean the incident wave, but the two main images, where one looks like both rays meet at P and the other the rays themselves are parallel.
    The right side image is just the left side image but zoomed in so the rays appear parallel but they aren't.

ReputationRep:
    It's an approximation where 'D' is very much larger than 'd'. Try drawing a couple of triangles and vary both d and D and notice how the rays, r1, r2, become more or less parallel.

In reality they are not exactly parallel, they wouldn't meet if they were!, but it is a fair approximation in a lot of cases.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 11, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.