Turn on thread page Beta

Hello !! I am planning on changing my name through Deed Poll UK by just adding my name that I am more commonly known as, and changing the spelling of my current forename, yet keeping my surname the same.
    From Deed Poll UK Service I will pay additionally for the certified copies.

I'm just a little worried about the hassle it will take to tell organisations such as Student Finance, Passport office, Banks, Uni, DVLA .etc. about the change! how long will it all take? Has anyone encountered any problems changing their name through these organisations one the deed poll has been made?

- I have a provisional driving license, so would I just send them a letter with a certified copy of my deed poll, license card and a cover letter to them?
    - Also, does anyone know if Lloyds & Santander bank require an enrolled deed poll? because I cannot afford to do that as I am only 19.
    - Do I change my passport first?
    -Lastly, would it be difficult to change my name at uni and affect any of my upcoming exams .etc.?? I have a student account with santander bank, so would I have to get a new student oyster card and the santander railcard in my new name too?

Sorry for the gazzillions of questions! But I would really appreciate the help! Thank you so much!!

ReputationRep:
    would it be easier to use a " known as " name.
    you use your birth name for official stuff and then on your application you put known as, and the new spelling...
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

(Original post by RuthieG101)
    would it be easier to use a " known as " name.
    you use your birth name for official stuff and then on your application you put known as, and the new spelling...
    Thats basically what I do now! for work everyone calls me by my "known as" name and so do my family .etc. but at uni my tutors call me by my legal name which they pronounce wrong because of the spelling and it's really irritating! That's why I want to change it so bad

ReputationRep:
    im not sure then.
    you could change it then work through a list and change everything over, or you deal with it.

I hate people saying my last name wrong but I just correct them and carry on.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I've done the deed poll by the enrolled route, it took a bit more work because it's not explained the best. I saw that some banks eg NatWest require a enrolled deed poll. If you still have any questions, you could message me.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.