The Student Room Group

Is Business Studies really an unpreffered subject for most of the unis?

I'm currently planning to take business as one of my AS/A level subject along with Math, Accounts and Economics, but I've heard unis don't appreciate students taking business even if its a course related to finance or economics, so if i take business will i lose some of my credibility when applying for universities?

Help please!
Reply 1
There are certainly some courses where they prefer you not to take Economics and Business.
Check which uni’s you’d most likely want to go to, and the course you wish to go to later on; search for their preferred subject and also, subjects they don’t accept.
I don't see a point of you taking it considering you're already doing maths, accounts and economics. They probably wouldn't count it for much considering too...
Reply 4
The thing is I dont know what else to take instead of business for my 4th subject for AS
Im doing chemistry and physics currently for my igsce,
i find chemistry a bit interesting(not physics) but i doubt ill be doing
anything related to science in the future plus there are not many subjects that are offered in my school except the traditional ones.
So is it true unis such as london school of economics prefer all rounded
student when it comes to academics?
Many 'top' Universities don't like BS because its seen as a vocational subject rather than academic.

Btw, there is no point in taking 4 A levels. No UK Universities require 4 subjects. And if you are aiming at Economics, you need to concentrate just on the relevant subjects not waste time/focus on a 4th. A UCAS application with AAA prediction will ALWAYS look better than BBBB - so if you do decide to do BS as well, drop it after AS.
Reply 6
I’ve applied for Universities such as Birmingham, Loughborough, Aston and Leicester, for Accountancy, I’ve been doing A level business and have had no issues with this, i’m also studying Film Studies & English Language, and both of these have been accepted, in my experience and that of many of the people I know. Unless you’re applying for a “top” university, your courses don’t matter. Only requirement I did see for Accountancy was Maths, and sometimes (rarely) Further Maths. Just make sure the courses you pick are enjoyable to you, otherwise you’ll find it tough. And as Returnmigrant said, nowhere accepts 4 a levels at all, but try four and can always drop one 🤷🏽*♂️
Reply 7
Right okay. Thank you guys!! Appreciate it!

Quick Reply

Latest