Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Which Sixth Form should I go to? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Which Sixth Form should I go to?

I am 6 days away from the deadline I have for accepting my conditional offer at a Sixth Form I have applied to. I have had months to make my decision of whether I stay to carry on my education at the Sixth Form of my current school or the school mentioned above.

Here’s a little bit of background information:
    I have attended a common state school, located at the bottom of my road (2 minute walk away), for the entirety of my secondary school education. It is a good school, at least for the typical state school in the UK, and I don’t believe I have been limited at all by its means of funding. I have a great, bright group of friends and good relationships with my teachers. My GCSE predictions are good. My dad works at a privately funded grammar school nearby. Our income would not have supported tuition at this school for both me and my younger brother, but for Sixth Form, my parents have opened it up to me as an option. This has left me in a large dilemma. I applied and I have been accepted on a conditional offer of five grade 7s at GCSE with a grade 7 in each of the subjects I am wishing to take on at this grammar school. I have no worries that I will not meet these conditions. I am worried that I will make the wrong choice regarding the school I go to. I want the best education whilst remaining the happiest. I have no doubt that I will have a greater opportunity to achieve at the grammar school — its reputation is good — but I am not ready to sacrifice my happiness for better grades. My current school’s Sixth Form is exceptional and I have been told that I will do well for myself regardless of the school I go to.

I have been sitting on this choice for months now. My deadline for accepting the conditional offer at the grammar school is 6 days away, my 16th birthday. I am torn between the two schools. I want to go to each equally. A deposit of £300 must be paid along with my acceptance to the grammar school, meaning I cannot go there and choose to go back to my old school if I feel it’s not right for me.

I have joined TSR and am posting this question in the hope that fellow students can help me with my decision and give advice with what they feel is the right pathway.

---------------------------------------------------

For the sake of privacy, I have made the conscious decision to refer arbitrarily to the two schools as A (the grammar school) and B (my current state school).

School A:
    • Small-sized classes;
    • Extensive list of extra-curriculars;
    • Academically-inclined peers (rather vague point - based on the entrance requirements);
    • Focuses on future careers path and university choice;
    • Opportunity to achieve better A-Level results (higher A*-A percentage: approximately 50%);
    • Dad works there as an IT technician (able to be driven into school, I'm not a huge fan of public transport);
    That said...
    • It's a private school (I have 50% off school fees, still expensive)
    • Uniform required (more expense)
    • I cannot do an A-Level in Computer Science (not offered as a subject)
    • Travelling to school
    • Longer school day (8.40-3.50)
    • Requirement of sixth grade 7s at GCSE
    • Required to eat a school lunch (not a fan of canteens, extra expense)

My subject choices for school A:
    • A-Level Mathematics
    • A-Level Biology
    • A-Level Psychology
    • A-Level Religious Studies
    • EPQ in Computer Science

-------------------

School B:
    • Entire existing friendship group planning to go here
    • Able to do Gold DofE with the friends I have done Bronze and Silver with (for the sake of continuity)
    • Computer Science A-Level
    • No school uniform (I can wear whatever the hell I want)
    • No travelling required (I live down the road, 2-minute walk to school, tops)
    • No expense (state school)
    That said...
    • Forensics isn't part of the Psychology course (my favourite topic, school doesn't choose to study it)
    • Less support with 4 subjects (the norm is 3 at a state school)

My subject choices for school B:
    • A-Level Mathematics
    • A-Level Biology
    • A-Level Psychology
    • A-Level Computer Science

I have attempted to provide you with as much information as I can. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you for your help in advance.
    Emma

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you’ve already answered your own question, definitely school ‘B’. Advice; you can always go back to school b. However if you didn’t like your current school, it would be harder to move to school A. Overall, school B would be better, as personally for me I have decided to stay in my sixth form, you want to be spending your time on your subjects and going out with friends, not learning your new environment, teachers, friends plus on top of that your studies and social life. Hope this helps
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I would say stick to your current school and from what I read, it appears that you would prefer to go to your current school (if I am not wrong) so just stick with it. Also, one topic you don't cover in the course isn't a huge setback because at the end of the day, you do a subject because you enjoy it as a whole and not because of just one topic. (If I followed the same logic, I would hate maths because I hate stats but i love core and mechanics).

ReputationRep:
    Do you really want to do computer science?

Tbh, if a sixth doesn't offer a subject I want to do, then I wouldn't even consider it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sonny.jim)
    Which Sixth Form should I go to?

I am 6 days away from the deadline I have for accepting my conditional offer at a Sixth Form I have applied to. I have had months to make my decision of whether I stay to carry on my education at the Sixth Form of my current school or the school mentioned above.

Here’s a little bit of background information:
    I have attended a common state school, located at the bottom of my road (2 minute walk away), for the entirety of my secondary school education. It is a good school, at least for the typical state school in the UK, and I don’t believe I have been limited at all by its means of funding. I have a great, bright group of friends and good relationships with my teachers. My GCSE predictions are good. My dad works at a privately funded grammar school nearby. Our income would not have supported tuition at this school for both me and my younger brother, but for Sixth Form, my parents have opened it up to me as an option. This has left me in a large dilemma. I applied and I have been accepted on a conditional offer of five grade 7s at GCSE with a grade 7 in each of the subjects I am wishing to take on at this grammar school. I have no worries that I will not meet these conditions. I am worried that I will make the wrong choice regarding the school I go to. I want the best education whilst remaining the happiest. I have no doubt that I will have a greater opportunity to achieve at the grammar school — its reputation is good — but I am not ready to sacrifice my happiness for better grades. My current school’s Sixth Form is exceptional and I have been told that I will do well for myself regardless of the school I go to.

I have been sitting on this choice for months now. My deadline for accepting the conditional offer at the grammar school is 6 days away, my 16th birthday. I am torn between the two schools. I want to go to each equally. A deposit of £300 must be paid along with my acceptance to the grammar school, meaning I cannot go there and choose to go back to my old school if I feel it’s not right for me.

I have joined TSR and am posting this question in the hope that fellow students can help me with my decision and give advice with what they feel is the right pathway.

For the sake of privacy, I have made the conscious decision to refer arbitrarily to the two schools as A (the grammar school) and B (my current state school).

School A:
    • Small-sized classes;
    • Extensive list of extra-curriculars;
    • Academically-inclined peers (rather vague point - based on the entrance requirements);
    • Focuses on future careers path and university choice;
    • Opportunity to achieve better A-Level results (higher A*-A percentage: approximately 50%);
    • Dad works there as an IT technician (able to be driven into school, I'm not a huge fan of public transport);
    That said...
    • It's a private school (I have 50% off school fees, still expensive)
    • Uniform required (more expense)
    • I cannot do an A-Level in Computer Science (not offered as a subject)
    • Travelling to school
    • Longer school day (8.40-3.50)
    • Requirement of sixth grade 7s at GCSE
    • Required to eat a school lunch (not a fan of canteens, extra expense)

My subject choices for school A:
    • A-Level Mathematics
    • A-Level Biology
    • A-Level Psychology
    • A-Level Religious Studies
    • EPQ in Computer Science

-------------------

School B:
    • Entire existing friendship group planning to go here
    • Able to do Gold DofE with the friends I have done Bronze and Silver with (for the sake of continuity)
    • Computer Science A-Level
    • No school uniform (I can wear whatever the hell I want)
    • No travelling required (I live down the road, 2-minute walk to school, tops)
    • No expense (state school)
    That said...
    • Forensics isn't part of the Psychology course (my favourite topic, school doesn't choose to study it)
    • Less support with 4 subjects (the norm is 3 at a state school)

My subject choices for school B:
    • A-Level Mathematics
    • A-Level Biology
    • A-Level Psychology
    • A-Level Computer Science

I have attempted to provide you with as much information as I can. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you for your help in advance.
    Emma
    In your case, I would definitely stay, because u seem like u want to stay more than leave. Moreover, the benefits of staying outweigh the costs.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    EPQ's are always helpful; you can get reduced offers from universities. Also, are you sure you want to do 4 A-level subjects? It might be a lot more work than you actually need to do

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.