Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thekidwhogames)
    Yeah that's true but I was meant to take the old specs this year but suddenly switched to the new for Maths xD
    How tf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rolls_Reus_0wner)
    How tf
    I'm not in year 12 so I wasn't naturally meant to do the new specification.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!

I actually like the new spec better - the FM has an all pure option with modulo arithmetic, Euclidean algorithm etc and Cayley tables. Though volume of revolution is moved to FM but now has it over y axis. Small angle approximations and from first principles (differentiation) are nice additions.

The applied I think I'll be fine with since a lot of it I've already done with the older units.

Do you think the actual exams will be a lot harder than previosu C1-C4?
    TBH i might think my mock questions r from CIE examination papers .
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    From looking at specimen papers, the individual questions don't seem harder but there's not enough of them to judge. But there are fewer exams for the whole of A Level which means each new spec exam will cover more stuff than an old modular exam - this is going to make them harder for the average student. Also you can't do e.g. 30 C2 papers to get good at C2 anymore. I'd guess the difficulty will be similar to an IAL C1/2 paper or C3/4 paper but it could be harder or easier.

Because of a lack of papers and teachers not being familiar with the new spec, in the first few years the grade boundaries will be low like they were for 9-1 GCSE last year. It's very hard to guess what they'll be though.

One interesting thing for the 2018 exam that you will be taking is that the vast majority of students will be taking FM in 2019 so they will be high ability students. When I first heard that I thought this would mean that the 2018 boundaries would be high but apparently boundaries are adjusted to make sure there's no disadvantage taking the exam alongside high ability students.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not in year 12 so I wasn't naturally meant to do the new specification.
    U should be doing old spec then

ReputationRep:
    They don't look harder (the specimen papers).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AddQ7)
    From looking at the specimen papers (Pure maths paper 1 and 2), they don't look harder.
    Are you doing the old spec A level Maths/FM as you're also doing them earlier? But new spec is available this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notnek)
    From looking at specimen papers, the individual questions don't seem harder but there's not enough of them to judge. But there are fewer exams for the whole of A Level which means each new spec exam will cover more stuff than an old modular exam - this is going to make them harder for the average student. Also you can't do e.g. 30 C2 papers to get good at C2 anymore. I'd guess the difficulty will be similar to an IAL C1/2 paper or C3/4 paper but it could be harder or easier.

Because of a lack of papers and teachers not being familiar with the new spec, in the first few years the grade boundaries will be low like they were for 9-1 GCSE last year. It's very hard to guess what they'll be though.

One interesting thing for the 2018 exam that you will be taking is that the vast majority of students will be taking FM in 2019 so they will be high ability students. When I first heard that I thought this would mean that the 2018 boundaries would be high but apparently boundaries are adjusted to make sure there's no disadvantage taking the exam alongside high ability students.
    Yeah, I agree that they may be around the difficulty of the IAL papers. I mean hopefully boundaries don't rise beyond something silly like 95% for an A* otherwise it'll be a bit dangerous

ReputationRep:
    U should be doing old spec then
    I should be but my school made me do the new spec.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    Yeah, I agree that they may be around the difficulty of the IAL papers. I mean hopefully boundaries don't rise beyond something silly like 95% for an A* otherwise it'll be a bit dangerous
    I highly doubt that they'll be that high. If they are please return to this thread and rub it in my face

ReputationRep:
    How far are people through the course? No idea if we are going through it quick enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by number0)
    How far are people through the course? No idea if we are going through it quick enough
    we started Yr 1 intregration

ReputationRep:
    we started Yr 1 intregration
    Are you doing the A level this year or next year?

ReputationRep:
    Are you doing the A level this year or next year?
    next. i aint tht smart

new spec btw

ReputationRep:
    Finished the old spec and soon the new - just got to finish the textbooks.

ReputationRep:
    Finished the old spec and soon the new - just got to finish the textbooks.
    We've basically finished the year 2 applied but around half way through the pure year 2 i think, got a bit to go.

ReputationRep:
    We've basically finished the year 2 applied but around half way through the pure year 2 i think, got a bit to go.
    I think that's going fast enough at it. Is your whole class doing it early?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    That sounds fine to me. If you only have half of pure Y2 to go then you'll only be focusing on that so that shouldn't take too long.

ReputationRep:
    I think that's going fast enough at it. Is your whole class doing it early?
    Yeh its like a class of 10 further maths, I really like it cause everyone is so competitive lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notnek)
    That sounds fine to me. If you only have half of pure Y2 to go then you'll only be focusing on that so that shouldn't take too long.
    Perfect, just too used to GCSEs were you can finish the course a lot earlier lol

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 17, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.