The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website

Mature student at Open Uni

Hello,

Ive just started a course with the Open Uni. Im 34, and I am retraining in 1 of the STEM fields.

I quit full time work because they would not allow me to reduce my hours to part-time so, although I am currently not working, I will be getting a part time job very soon.

I obviously have to buy laptop, software etc for the course, I also have 3 children to take care of.

Is there any advice others in my position could offer about grants/funds/entitlements that may be available to me?

Many thanks
Original post by OldTimer30
Hello,

Ive just started a course with the Open Uni. Im 34, and I am retraining in 1 of the STEM fields.

I quit full time work because they would not allow me to reduce my hours to part-time so, although I am currently not working, I will be getting a part time job very soon.

I obviously have to buy laptop, software etc for the course, I also have 3 children to take care of.

Is there any advice others in my position could offer about grants/funds/entitlements that may be available to me?

Many thanks

The only bursary the OU offers is this: http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/choose/bursary. If you are not entitled to it then I'm afraid you're going to have to find another way to pay for a laptop. Maintenance loans for OU students are expected to be available from 2019, can you wait until then?
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website
I'll be doing maths in October.
im applying for part time student finance to pay for it.
I've already got a laptop, but all required software is included, and as a student you can get office 365 so all you'll need is a computer
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by RuthieG101
I'll be doing maths in October.
im applying for part time student finance to pay for it.
I've already got a laptop, but all required software is included, and as a student you can get office 365 so all you'll need is a computer

Hey thanks for the reply.

Ok, well I should be able to pick up a 2nd hand laptop from the local repair shop.

How do you go about getting the software you mentioned please?

Ok, well I should be able to pick up a 2nd hand laptop from the local repair shop.

it's either on cd/usb stick in the box with your books, or freely available on the internet.

look at the computer requirements of your course for minimum spec. mine is minimum of Windows 7. you'll find this near the bottom of the course information

I bought a refurbished Dell PC on Amazon for around £80 - they appear to be PC's that have previously been leased to businesses and are now being sold on. I picked up a second hand monitor from a high street pawn-type shop for £15 and downloaded Libreoffice for free. I hadn't heard about Office 365 but now that I know about it I'm certainly going to give it a go. You apparently need an active School/University email so you may need to wait until after you enrol.

I've been using my set up for nearly a year with no problems at all. I've had much more grief from the laptop I bought for 4 times the price!

Quick Reply