Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    What is this?/I'm confused
    Hi there. If you're confused as to what is going on here then you are probably new to this section of TSR. This is a Model House of Commons, a forum where we emulate the structure of the Real Life House of Commons as an excuse to debate politics.

If you are seeing this and you want to get involved in the debate, please feel free. You do not need to join a party, get approval or join any group to get stuck in right away. If you enjoy it and you do want to join a party then you can do so here. If you have any questions or need any help please message me. I am the current speaker of the house and part of my role involves offering impartial advice to new members so I will always be happy to answer what questions you have. Alternatively, you can read the new members guide to get advice on a wide range of issues.

Note: Please refrain from making comments about how we spend our free time. It is our free time to spend.

B1350 - Police Reform Bill 2018, TSR Conservative & Unionist Party
    A

BILL

TO

Pass on powers and responsibilities from Police and Crime Commissioners to directly-elected mayors in areas that have directly-elected mayors; to abolish Police and Crime Commissioners in areas that have directly-elected mayors; and to create a Mayor's Office for Policing and Crime in areas taking over the responsibility of Police and Crime Commissioners.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:'

1 - Definitions
    (1) Directly-elected mayor: local government executive leaders who have been directly-elected by the people who live in a combined authority area.
    (2) Police and crime commissioner: an elected official with the task of securing efficient and effective policing of a police area.
    (3) Mayoral combined authority: a legal body set up using legislation that enables a group of two or more councils to collaborate and take collective decisions across council boundaries, represented by a directly-elected mayor.
    (4) Police force: an organised body of police officers responsible for a country, district, or town.

2 - Amendment to the Police Reform and Social Responsibility Act 2011
    (1) Amend Section 1, clause 1 of the Police Reform and Social Responsibility Act 2011 from 'There is to be a police and crime commissioner for each police area listed in Schedule 1 to the Police Act 1996 (police areas outside London).' to 'There is to be a police and crime commissioner for each police area listed in Schedule 1 to the Police Act 1996 (police areas outside London) that does not have a directly-elected mayor.'

3 - Directly-elected mayors and police and crime commissioners
    (1) All existing police and crime commissioner roles in police areas listed in Schedule 1 of the Police Reform and Social Responsibility Act 2011, where there are directly-elected mayors, shall be abolished on the date of the next scheduled police and crime commissioner election.
    (2) On the date of the next scheduled police and crime commissioner election for the specific areas referred to in 3(1), police funds shall be transferred to the mayoral combined authority it lies within.

4 - Mayor's Office for Policing and Crime
    (1) In each mayoral combined authority referred to in 3(2), a Mayor's Office for Policing and Crime shall be established.
    (a) They shall takeover the responsibility of Police and Crime Commissioners, to oversee and control police and crime policy and police funds in the combined authority.
    (2) Police forces shall be established in each combined authority, replacing existing police forces, with a readjusted structure of previous ones.
    (a) Existing responsibilities of the previous police force shall remain the same with the replacement.
    (3) They shall be replicated around the existing Mayor's Office for Policing and Crime in the Greater London Authority.

5 - Commencement, short title and extent
    (1) This Act may be cited as the Police Reform Act 2018.
    (2) This Act extends to England.
    (3) This Act is to come into effect upon Royal Assent.

Notes:
    Spoiler:
    Show

As stated in the Queen's Speech for this Parliament, the government pledged to reform Police and Crime Commissioners. This Bill does exactly that by transferring powers previously held by Police and Crime Commissioners to directly-elected mayors and removal of the roles in areas that have those mayors. It also creates a Mayor's Office for Policing and Crime in these areas, similar to the one in the Greater London Authority. In areas without those mayors, they will still have Police and Crime Commissioners, because this is notably better than its predecessor of police authorities.

Furthermore, if a new mayoral position is created in areas that don't have them then the role of Police and Crime Commissioner will be absorbed into the mayoral role. Note that the removal of Police and Crime Commissioners will not remove accountability - it simply transfers it to the mayor.

Areas that will be affected by this Act:
    Cambridgeshire and Peterborough (Cambridgeshire)
    Liverpool City Region (Merseyside)
    Greater Manchester
    Sheffield City Region
    Tees Valley
    West of England
    West Midlands

Posted by SpeakerBot
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Surely notes are meant to justify the bill's actions and explain why it is needed. However this doesn't, I currently see no reason to implement this change.

Abstain, unless otherwise convinced
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by The PoliticalGuy)
    Surely notes are meant to justify the bill's actions and explain why it is needed. However this doesn't, I currently see no reason to implement this change.

Abstain, unless otherwise convinced
    It's a bit pointless to have a PCC in an area where there is already a mayor who could take up that role easily.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Do all of the areas listed coincide exactly with the area covered by the police force?

ReputationRep:
    Aye, seems reasonable
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Do all of the areas listed coincide exactly with the area covered by the police force?
    Yes as far as I'm aware.

ReputationRep:
    Aye, there is no point in having a PCC when there is already a mayor that could cover that role.

ReputationRep:
    Aye

ReputationRep:
    I didn't know the tories were in government might want to edit the notes

I think this is being done in deal life already. I know Mayor of bham plans on doing this. It does make sense and reduce unnecessary administration. Aye
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by mr T 999)
    I think this is being done in deal life already. I know Mayor of bham plans on doing this. It does make sense and reduce unnecessary administration. Aye
    I'm nigh on certain this has happened in Greater Manchester.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by mr T 999)
    I didn't know the tories were in government might want to edit the notes

My fault whoops. I was being lazy and I didn't check the notes before submitting it, cheers for pointing that out haha!

Not in all these areas.

(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    I'm nigh on certain this has happened in Greater Manchester.
    I've just searched it up and I think you're right so Greater Manchester won't be impacted by this Bill.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Yes, The Major of London is the PCC for London so it makes sense to replicate this to other cites with direcly elected majors.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    I believe I said I supported this privately, and so I shall publicly too.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    I wholly support this quite frankly wonderful Bill, which the UK would wonderfully to have passed. If you can't be bothered to read it, then I'll give a quick explanation, which shows why this fantastically brilliant bill would do well to Pass: it will wonderfully pass on the powers and wonderfully great, responsibilities from Police and the Crime Commissioners to perhaps badly, directly-elected mayors in areas that have directly-elected mayors; to abolish the quite pointless Police and Crime Commissioners in areas that have directly-elected mayors; and to create a new Mayor's Office for Policing and Crime in areas taking over the responsibility of Police and Crime Commissioners.

PetrosAC
    how's that going for increasing my average post length?
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Tanqueray91)
    I wholly support this quite frankly wonderful Bill, which the UK would wonderfully to have passed. If you can't be bothered to read it, then I'll give a quick explanation, which shows why this fantastically brilliant bill would do well to Pass: it will wonderfully pass on the powers and wonderfully great, responsibilities from Police and the Crime Commissioners to perhaps badly, directly-elected mayors in areas that have directly-elected mayors; to abolish the quite pointless Police and Crime Commissioners in areas that have directly-elected mayors; and to create a new Mayor's Office for Policing and Crime in areas taking over the responsibility of Police and Crime Commissioners.

PetrosAC
    how's that going for increasing my average post length?
    Decent, but could be better
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    Decent, but could be better
    I thought I'd give you a little taste... of course, the old white font trick will come in useful.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    This has gone to cessation.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Divison!

Clear the lobbies!

Posted by SpeakerBot

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 21, 2018
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.