Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    What is this?/I'm confused
    Hi there. If you're confused as to what is going on here then you are probably new to this section of TSR. This is a Model House of Commons, a forum where we emulate the structure of the Real Life House of Commons as an excuse to debate politics.

If you are seeing this and you want to get involved in the debate, please feel free. You do not need to join a party, get approval or join any group to get stuck in right away. If you enjoy it and you do want to join a party then you can do so here. If you have any questions or need any help please message me. I am the current speaker of the house and part of my role involves offering impartial advice to new members so I will always be happy to answer what questions you have. Alternatively, you can read the new members guide to get advice on a wide range of issues.

Note: Please refrain from making comments about how we spend our free time. It is our free time to spend.

M473 - North London Antifa Motion 2018, joep95 seconded by CountBrandenberg

This motion calls on the Government to add North London Antifa to schedule 2 of the terrorism act 2000.

This group has been allowed to organise and carry out acts of Terrorism publicly online and it is time to take the necessary steps to put an end to it, just this week they violently shut down a political event, in the last they have been involved with attacking journalists.

The definition of terrorism from the act is
    Terrorism: interpretation.

(1)In this Act 'terrorism' means the use or threat of action where'
    (a)the action falls within subsection (2),
    (b)the use or threat is designed to influence the government or to intimidate the public or a section of the public, and
    (c)the use or threat is made for the purpose of advancing a political, religious or ideological cause.
    (2)Action falls within this subsection if it'
    (a)involves serious violence against a person,
    (b)involves serious damage to property,
    (c)endangers a person's life, other than that of the person committing the action,
    (d)creates a serious risk to the health or safety of the public or a section of the public, or
    (e)is designed seriously to interfere with or seriously to disrupt an electronic system.
    (3)The use or threat of action falling within subsection (2) which involves the use of firearms or explosives is terrorism whether or not subsection (1)(b) is satisfied.
    (4)In this section'
    (a)'action' includes action outside the United Kingdom,
    (b)a reference to any person or to property is a reference to any person, or to property, wherever situated,
    (c)a reference to the public includes a reference to the public of a country other than the United Kingdom, and
    (d)'the government' means the government of the United Kingdom, of a Part of the United Kingdom or of a country other than the United Kingdom.
    (5)In this Act a reference to action taken for the purposes of terrorism includes a reference to action taken for the benefit of a proscribed organisation.

This group engages in activity which matches the requirements of the bill.

It says that
    (4)The Secretary of State may exercise his power under subsection (3)(a) in respect of an organisation only if he believes that it is concerned in terrorism.
    (5)For the purposes of subsection (4) an organisation is concerned in terrorism if it'
    (a)commits or participates in acts of terrorism,
    (b)prepares for terrorism,
    (c)promotes or encourages terrorism, or
    (d)is otherwise concerned in terrorism.

It arranged, promoted and encouraged the terrorist acts that occurred and as such the government should take action.

Posted by SpeakerBot
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    No from me.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Surely AntiFa is a terrorist organisation and should rightly be banned under terrorism laws.

An aye from me.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by JMR2018)
    No from me.
    Does the Honourable member disagree that Antifa is a group that commits violence and unlawful action, in pursuit of a political aim, which in their case is Anarcho-Communusm? That to me sounds like the textbook definition of terrorism and it is horrendous that they have not been defined as a terrorist organisation already.
    This has my support and I urge any member with the remote capacity of common sense to support this motion
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    All violent political groups are terrorist groups. Yes.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by CountBrandenburg)
    Does the Honourable member disagree that Antifa is a group that commits violence and unlawful action, in pursuit of a political aim, which in their case is Anarcho-Communusm? That to me sounds like the textbook definition of terrorism and it is horrendous that they have not been defined as a terrorist organisation already.
    This has my support and I urge any member with the remote capacity of common sense to support this motion
    It is a complete generalisation that Antifa are anarcho communists. There may be a few members who use violence for political aims, and they should be punished for terrorism but not the whole group.

ReputationRep:
    Don't be daft.

ReputationRep:
    Some notes would be appreciated
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Political Ambassador
    The motion explains itself adequately enough, yes not all Antifa are anarcho-communists but they do share the idea that they’re well within their right to use violence by any means to crush whomever they see as Fascists. Such a dangerous combination should be pronounced as terrorism, indeed their motivation for their unlawful action is political. This motion singles out North London Antifa specifically, as they’ve been involved with exactly what this motion describes so it is ignorant to deny that they are, by definition, a terrorist organisation

ReputationRep:
    Pointless piece of legistlation, Britain First and other far-right groups are far more dangerous that anti facist protesters.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by RedLuxemburg)
    Pointless piece of legistlation, Britain First and other far-right groups are far more dangerous that anti facist protesters.
    Pray tell of the extremely violent actions that Britain first has committed to achieve their aims. Antifa managed to discredit themselves immediately by using violence to stand up to whomever they consider fascists and the fact they have an immediate political agenda, makes it far worse to our civil freedoms. Britain first and most far right groups don’t pose that problem, some Antifa groups do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CountBrandenburg)
    Pray tell of the extremely violent actions that Britain first has committed to achieve their aims. Antifa managed to discredit themselves immediately by using violence to stand up to whomever they consider fascists and the fact they have an immediate political agenda, makes it far worse to our civil freedoms. Britain first and most far right groups don’t pose that problem, some Antifa groups do
    A Britain First fellow traveller assassinated an MP in 2016 and five far right terrorist plots were stopped in the last year by the security services.

Facism is far more dangerous that Anti-Facism.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I’m in favour of proscribing this group, that’s not to say far right groups shouldn’t be proscribed as well, but this motion isn’t about far right groups.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Political Ambassador
    A Britain First fellow traveller assassinated an MP in 2016 and five far right terrorist plots were stopped in the last year by the security services.

Yes Jo Cox was murdered by a far right loonie if you want to call him that. He had links to national front and EDL though as far as I’m aware the attack was carried out alone and he was not a part of either proscribed organisations. Neither organisation advocates violence against those opposing their views... whilst Antifa, in all their self righteousness, believes they are above the law and should be permitted to use violence against those with a “fascist” viewpoint should they see fit. Does this not sound like something they can easily abuse (and they have)? That’s why I’d suggest defining them as a terrorist organisation because that’s their belief... terrorism plans have been stopped on both sides of the political spectrum, hence your point here is invalid. this is a motion to define a particular Antifa group as a terrorist organisation because there has been evidence that suggests this
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I have grown to oppose legislation of this sorts, regardless of whether it refers to the far-left or the far-right. Violence is committed by individuals and their freedom to associate with others as groups should not be infringed upon. Instead, we need to make sure punishments are strong and taken seriously by those charged with politically-motivated violence. Furthermore, other measures such as protecting freedom of speech inside our universities will also do a good job in helping with cases like this. I understand the aims of this motion but reject that it is the correct way to challenge Antifa.

ReputationRep:
    Aye! Antifa are a terrorist group and should be banned! Also our police should have the right to shoot Antifa terrorists to prevent them from causing danger to society.

ReputationRep:

So there are a few cases of a tiny minority of far right people being violent, but with Antifa, there are hoards of their people being violent. Antifa is clearly the greater threat to society.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Aye.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unown Uzer)
    So there are a few cases of a tiny minority of far right people being violent, but with Antifa, there are hoards of their people being violent. Antifa is clearly the greater threat to society.
    Fascism is a greater threat, in all it's form from Whabisim to Nazism to Pinochetism to Stalinism.

AntiFa is against all forms of Fascism and supports a democratic and socially just society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unown Uzer)
    Aye! Antifa are a terrorist group and should be banned! Also our police should have the right to shoot Antifa terrorists to prevent them from causing danger to society.
    Police shooting protesters is pure Fascism and you should be ashamed of your self.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 15, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.