illogical guy right batman
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Kyber Ninja)
    So you're one of those guys smh

illogical
    Not really, it seems logical to me.

A lot of the books on mechanics and analytical dynamics take upwards as +ve most of the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    Not really, it seems logical to me.

A lot of the books on mechanics and analytical dynamics take upwards as +ve most of the time.
    tbh i still dont get it

sometimes s is a negative

sometimes g is a negative

you guys said choose which way is negative, wtf does that mean

still confused
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by awijdijwajiodji)
    tbh i still dont get it

still confused
    Just ask your teacher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    Just ask your teacher.
    shes as thick as shreks swamp

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awijdijwajiodji)
    tbh i still dont get it

still confused
    If an object is falling only it makes sense to take gravity as positive.

If an object is going upwards then it would make sense for the velocity to be positive but gravity to be negative as the gravity is opposing the direction of motion.

A good way to see it is if an object is moving in the same direction as gravity then you can make both of them positive but if the object is moving in the opposite direction to gravity you can make velocity (and likely displacement) positive and gravity negative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AspiringUnderdog)

If an object is going upwards then it would make sense for the velocity to be positive but gravity to be negative as the gravity is opposing the direction of motion.

A good way to see it is if an object is moving in the same direction as gravity then you can make both of them positive but if the object is moving in the opposite direction to gravity you can make velocity (and likely displacement) positive and gravity negative.
    Finally, someone who uses up as negative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyber Ninja)
    Finally, someone who uses up as negative
    Only sometimes though.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    How about if the object is projected upwards and you want to find the greatest height? In that situation the motion and diplacement are positive but acceleration is negative so one could argue that it makes more sense (and fewer negatives in the working) to set upwards as positive?

Personally I like to encourage students to try taking both upwards and downwards as positive and not to stick to one rigid method.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notnek)
    How about if the object is projected upwards and you want to find the greatest height? In that situation the motion and diplacement are positive but acceleration is negative so one could argue that it makes more sense (and fewer negatives in the working) to set upwards as positive?

Personally I like to encourage students to try taking both upwards and downwards as positive and not to stick to one rigid method.
    If it is going up and down it isn't falling only which is what I said before.

If I have a projectile being shot up and then falling back down I will take displacement and initial velocities as positive and gravity as negative. Mainly because I haven't seen a single question where the object lands lower than the original height other than when it is "only falling". This way there are less negatives which is nicer
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    If it is going up and down it isn't falling only which is what I said before.

If I have a projectile being shot up and then falling back down I will take displacement and initial velocities as positive and gravity as negative. Mainly because I haven't seen a single question where the object lands lower than the original height other than when it is "only falling". This way there are less negatives which is nicer
    Agreed. I think it's up to the student to practice these types of questions and find out what they prefer. I can vary a lot depending on the question and it's hard to tell a student to always do it a certain way.

ReputationRep:
    Only sometimes though.
    You can take your filthy rep back then; I only want a man who consistently uses up as negative.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 10, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.