Turn on thread page Beta

I'm really worried about moving from home at uni. My two options I'm toying back and fourth to is one that is an hour at most from home travel wise, and another one that is 3ish hours away from home. Neither of these might seem far to anyone but the latter feels far for me. The one that's further away is a really good uni for my course (and in league tables), it's one of my favourite cities to visit, and it's a lot more lively. But it's going to be a lot more expensive to live, the halls are a lot, the city costs a bit more (like drinks etc), it's a campus university so would have to pay for travel too (money is a worry for me). The closer uni is not amazing in league tables, but second best out of my options. The halls and living will be so much cheaper, and if I feel down it will be so much easier to visit my family, and also my boyfriend as he lives close. But the city is A bit boring, the 'vibe' of it isn't really me, in comparison to the first uni. This one is also an unconditional offer, however the other one has conditions, but that I should easily get. The only reason I am really getting indecisive is because the thought of moving away is killing me at the moment. sometimes I've been getting really down thinking about moving away from my family and boyfriend and I tend to get quite ill sometimes (not all the time) and I know I could get help easily at the closer uni from family. I know at the end of the day it's only me who can decide where to go but the fact that it's getting me down so much I want to know what other people think. (For the record I really like both of the courses and campuses). Has anyone else gone through this and would you recommend just going for the further one and i should be fine and just need to get over it? Or if it's worrying me that much should I go to the closer uni. Thanks !!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    From what you've written, it sounds like you'd be better off at the closer one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm really worried about moving from home at uni. My two options I'm toying back and fourth to is one that is an hour at most from home travel wise, and another one that is 3ish hours away from home. Neither of these might seem far to anyone but the latter feels far for me. The one that's further away is a really good uni for my course (and in league tables), it's one of my favourite cities to visit, and it's a lot more lively. But it's going to be a lot more expensive to live, the halls are a lot, the city costs a bit more (like drinks etc), it's a campus university so would have to pay for travel too (money is a worry for me). The closer uni is not amazing in league tables, but second best out of my options. The halls and living will be so much cheaper, and if I feel down it will be so much easier to visit my family, and also my boyfriend as he lives close. But the city is A bit boring, the 'vibe' of it isn't really me, in comparison to the first uni. This one is also an unconditional offer, however the other one has conditions, but that I should easily get. The only reason I am really getting indecisive is because the thought of moving away is killing me at the moment. sometimes I've been getting really down thinking about moving away from my family and boyfriend and I tend to get quite ill sometimes (not all the time) and I know I could get help easily at the closer uni from family. I know at the end of the day it's only me who can decide where to go but the fact that it's getting me down so much I want to know what other people think. (For the record I really like both of the courses and campuses). Has anyone else gone through this and would you recommend just going for the further one and i should be fine and just need to get over it? Or if it's worrying me that much should I go to the closer uni. Thanks !!
    For the sake of your mental well-being I would say stay closer. 3/4 years away from home you are likely to encounter some problems with illness, mental health, needing home, some event that requires you to be home. And in my experience, when moving far away feels uncomfortable from the beginning it is unlikely to just get better - especially with the added weight of high education on your shoulders which will only get worse each year that passes.
    You’ll definitely thank yourself in second or third year when you need down time and home is only a hour away from you.
    Personal story: my uni is 3 hours away and it never bothered me from the beginning. Turn to final year (now) I desperately needed home. I just did. My mental health deforested out of no where and the stress of final year meant that I now commute to uni - not only costing a lot but also meaning I have to miss some lectures because I cannot afford to commute every single day or every week. If I had the chance to go back in time and change it I would, so I’m giving you that opportunity to seize the preferable decision and serve you better possibly in the long run!

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about the league table rankings for the moment, and think about these questions:
    1) Which location would you be happier living in for 3 years?
    2) Which course (looking at the modules, lecturers, study spaces, resources, opportunities offered etc.) would you feel more inspired by?
    3) Which university can you picture yourself at?
    4) In which location would it be easier to find part time work (if money becomes a worry)? i.e. proximity to businesses that routinely hire students
    5) Have you ever been seriously affected by homesickness in other situations?
    6) What in particular is worrying you about moving away from home? Is it just the issue of illness and missing your family?

If you tossed a coin right now to decide, what feelings would you have about each outcome? Would you be disappointed/excited/relieved/anxious? The option that creates the least negative feelings is likely to be the best for you. The main thing is that you don't make a decision on a whim that you might regret later.

(Original post by Lily048)
    For the sake of your mental well-being I would say stay closer. 3/4 years away from home you are likely to encounter some problems with illness, mental health, needing home, some event that requires you to be home. And in my experience, when moving far away feels uncomfortable from the beginning it is unlikely to just get better - especially with the added weight of high education on your shoulders which will only get worse each year that passes.
    You’ll definitely thank yourself in second or third year when you need down time and home is only a hour away from you.
    Personal story: my uni is 3 hours away and it never bothered me from the beginning. Turn to final year (now) I desperately needed home. I just did. My mental health deforested out of no where and the stress of final year meant that I now commute to uni - not only costing a lot but also meaning I have to miss some lectures because I cannot afford to commute every single day or every week. If I had the chance to go back in time and change it I would, so I’m giving you that opportunity to seize the preferable decision and serve you better possibly in the long run!
    thanks for your response. its nice to hear this as everyone else has sort of said to me irl no just go to the further one youll be fine stop stressing. sorry to hear about your experience, this is why im so worried!

(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
    Don't worry about the league table rankings for the moment, and think about these questions:
    1) Which location would you be happier living in for 3 years?
    2) Which course (looking at the modules, lecturers, study spaces, resources, opportunities offered etc.) would you feel more inspired by?
    3) Which university can you picture yourself at?
    4) In which location would it be easier to find part time work (if money becomes a worry)? i.e. proximity to businesses that routinely hire students
    5) Have you ever been seriously affected by homesickness in other situations?
    6) What in particular is worrying you about moving away from home? Is it just the issue of illness and missing your family?

If you tossed a coin right now to decide, what feelings would you have about each outcome? Would you be disappointed/excited/relieved/anxious? The option that creates the least negative feelings is likely to be the best for you. The main thing is that you don't make a decision on a whim that you might regret later.
    thank you. these are really good questions and will definitely help me. i 100% agree about not making a decision ill regret later and thats why im so concerned. i think i am just a very indecisive person too and have always been afraid of making wrong choices!!

ReputationRep:
    thanks for your response. its nice to hear this as everyone else has sort of said to me irl no just go to the further one youll be fine stop stressing. sorry to hear about your experience, this is why im so worried!
    That’s okay. It’s common for people to say that but truthfully, they aren’t you! At the end of the day, what works for them may not work for you and that’s nothing bad! Chin up, think hard and good luck!

I'm still unsure about where to go. I feel by choosing to go to a lesser rated university (I think it's about 40ish in the tables for the subject), instead of one that is about 9th for the subject, that I'm failing myself a bit. My pride seems to be getting in the way, but equally so does my concern about money. I don't know what should matter more am I being a cop out if I choose to go to a lot less prestigious university.

I'm still not sure. I'm constantly changing my mind. One thing that's bothering me is that it doesn't feel as much of an achievement choosing the one which is cheaper and closer to home, as it's ranked about 40ish in the subjects tables. Whereas the other one I think is about 9th. My pride is getting in the way if I choose the cheaper, lower ranked one, however equally the money situation is getting in the way about choosing the more prestigious one. I don't know what I should be caring about more and it's so frustrating !!

ReputationRep:
    I'm still not sure. I'm constantly changing my mind. One thing that's bothering me is that it doesn't feel as much of an achievement choosing the one which is cheaper and closer to home, as it's ranked about 40ish in the subjects tables. Whereas the other one I think is about 9th. My pride is getting in the way if I choose the cheaper, lower ranked one, however equally the money situation is getting in the way about choosing the more prestigious one. I don't know what I should be caring about more and it's so frustrating !!
    What you've also got to bear in mind is what degree classification you'd get at the end of your three years, and your mental health and happiness is a big factor in that. Sure the one further away is perhaps more challenging for you (in a good way), but you probably won't get the degree classification that you were hoping for at the end if you're always missing home and your boyfriend.

At the end of the day, when your future employer looks at your CV, a 2.2 at a good university won't beat a 2.1 or even a 1st at an okay University. Just some food for thought

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.