Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Hey everyone,

    I'm looking for a bit of advice. I'm Irish and I have just moved to the UK. I have an undergraduate degree in Chemistry but unfortunately got a 2:2... Although I received this from a prestigious university in Ireland where other universities in Ireland will consider this a 2:1.. but this isn't the case in the UK. I really want to do medicine but my past education just doesn't cut it.

    So I want to know what my next move should be? I have considered doing A-Levels as I have looked at the course content and past exams and they seem like they'll be pretty easy with my educational background and I'm confident I could do very well. But is this something that will be accepted by the universities in the UK?

    I would also be interested in doing graduate entry medicine but I don't know if this is possible anywhere with my 2:2!

    I just need some advice about what to do now? I'm willing to do any course/get any qualification to gain entry into medicine.

    Yes, it's possible. See here: https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...al-schools.pdf

    As you have a degree, you're classed as a graduate...it would be dishonest to exclude that from an application and substitute in recent A-level grades as if you hadn't taken a degree. Focus that effort into something like the GAMSAT!

    Nottingham may be your best bet if you do well enough :no:, though you could also do a masters and be eligible to apply for the one true medical school :yes:
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.