Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a bit of advice. I'm Irish and I have just moved to the UK. I have an undergraduate degree in Chemistry but unfortunately got a 2:2... Although I received this from a prestigious university in Ireland where other universities in Ireland will consider this a 2:1.. but this isn't the case in the UK. I really want to do medicine but my past education just doesn't cut it.

So I want to know what my next move should be? I have considered doing A-Levels as I have looked at the course content and past exams and they seem like they'll be pretty easy with my educational background and I'm confident I could do very well. But is this something that will be accepted by the universities in the UK?

I would also be interested in doing graduate entry medicine but I don't know if this is possible anywhere with my 2:2!

I just need some advice about what to do now? I'm willing to do any course/get any qualification to gain entry into medicine.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it's possible. See here: https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...al-schools.pdf

As you have a degree, you're classed as a graduate...it would be dishonest to exclude that from an application and substitute in recent A-level grades as if you hadn't taken a degree. Focus that effort into something like the GAMSAT!

Nottingham may be your best bet if you do well enough :no:, though you could also do a masters and be eligible to apply for the one true medical school :yes:

ReputationRep:
    So just focus on the GAMSAT and the GEM courses that take 2.2's? Also that was the original plan. I'm currently on a masters course but I'm worried that even with the masters the universities won't look past the 2.2 and I'm not willing to waste another 2 years if that's going to happen. Just trying to figure out all of my options

I completely agree btw, doing A-levels seems insane..

(Original post by Swansea Medic)
    Yes, it's possible. See here: https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...al-schools.pdf

As you have a degree, you're classed as a graduate...it would be dishonest to exclude that from an application and substitute in recent A-level grades as if you hadn't taken a degree. Focus that effort into something like the GAMSAT!

Nottingham may be your best bet if you do well enough :no:, though you could also do a masters and be eligible to apply for the one true medical school :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xLola92x)
    So just focus on the GAMSAT and the GEM courses that take 2.2's? Also that was the original plan. I'm currently on a masters course but I'm worried that even with the masters the universities won't look past the 2.2 and I'm not willing to waste another 2 years if that's going to happen. Just trying to figure out all of my options

I completely agree btw, doing A-levels seems insane..
    Yep.

Swansea :crown:, Kings and Nottingham. Get at least a merit on your masters and the first 2 will consider you (with a good GAMSAT). Notts require a higher GAMSAT score than those applicants with 2:1s.

It's really just a tickbox, no one cares that you have a 2:2 if you have what it takes to be a doctor (and show this at interview)

Going by this year, a score of 62+ is enough for interviews everywhere. There is no certainty with anything but if you want it, keep plodding on!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 26, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.