The Student Room Group

£100 a month on gym membership?!

Basically I have ended up needing to go to 2 different gyms - I have got a new job which is on the other side of the city meaning that I can no longer train before work (when I prefer to train) in my usual gym and will need to join a gym closer to work. My usual gym is amazing and I go to a really good weightlifting class there that I don’t want to give up - this gym is £50 a month (including my class) which is expensive but worth it IMO. I can pay-as-you go for my class but that would still work out a minimum of £40 a month.

The cheapest gym I can find near my new work (which has a decent free weight section so I can follow my program) is £45 a month. It’s a similarly “elite” gym but doesn’t have the range of weightlifting classes/training as my usual gym.

I don’t know what to do... I can’t really afford almost £100 on gyms! So frustrating! I’m thinking of possibly just joining the rubbish puregym near me and muddling through with one squat rack!

Or is it worth it if it’s something I care enough about. Anyone else pay this much for gym memberships?!
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Basically I have ended up needing to go to 2 different gyms - I have got a new job which is on the other side of the city meaning that I can no longer train before work (when I prefer to train) in my usual gym and will need to join a gym closer to work. My usual gym is amazing and I go to a really good weightlifting class there that I don’t want to give up - this gym is £50 a month (including my class) which is expensive but worth it IMO. I can pay-as-you go for my class but that would still work out a minimum of £40 a month.

The cheapest gym I can find near my new work (which has a decent free weight section so I can follow my program) is £45 a month. It’s a similarly “elite” gym but doesn’t have the range of weightlifting classes/training as my usual gym.

I don’t know what to do... I can’t really afford almost £100 on gyms! So frustrating! I’m thinking of possibly just joining the rubbish puregym near me and muddling through with one squat rack!

Or is it worth it if it’s something I care enough about. Anyone else pay this much for gym memberships?!

It’s not really anyone’s place to make this decision for you - it’s your money and only you can decide if you can afford it or are willing to find a way of affording it by making cut backs etc.
I personally wouldn’t pay out for two memberships and would instead pick one (maybe do a pros and cons list for each) and adjust my daily/weekly routine to fit around it.

This is why I try not to let myself become dependant on gyms. Free weights, calisthenics, barre, pilates and running are enough to keep me in shape. I understand if you like doing heavy compound lifts, buying your own squatrack is hardly ideal. You only live once I suppose. Personally, i'd rather work out at home than spend more than £50 just to be fit but that's just me

I think it is stupid tbh, I enjoy going to the gym but definitely wouldnt pay for 2 memberships, if I was you I would just change the time I work out. Unless thats worth an extra £600 a year (which to me it wouldnt be)

Difficult one....
I had 3 gyms on the go at one point but they only totalled £50/60 a month.

Ultimately, if the gym means that much to you then you’ll pay the £100 a month. If it helps your mental and physical health then it’s worth it?

You could try the puregym for a bit and see how busy it is when you want to train etc but in my experience they are rammed 24/7 and lifting in the morning is the only way PG is bearable.

I spend £100 a month on various insurances through my work, £300 on my pension so it isn’t that outrageous

(Sorry I can’t give you a real answer)
Original post by Coral Courage
It’s not really anyone’s place to make this decision for you - it’s your money and only you can decide if you can afford it or are willing to find a way of affording it by making cut backs etc.
I personally wouldn’t pay out for two memberships and would instead pick one (maybe do a pros and cons list for each) and adjust my daily/weekly routine to fit around it.

Thats what i was thinking.
Id pick one of the 2 if possible.
I don't think there's anyone who pays £100 a month for a Gym membership OP......
I could get 3 gym memberships for <£50 a month.

May I just ask what gym's are these? (If they're specific to a Location then don't feel obliged to share)
Original post by Bulletzone
I don't think there's anyone who pays £100 a month for a Gym membership OP......
I could get 3 gym memberships for <£50 a month.

May I just ask what gym's are these? (If they're specific to a Location then don't feel obliged to share)

Both independent gyms where I live - the usual cheap chains are either far away from me, insanely busy or don’t have the right equipment. It’s a shame but I’d rather pay more than spend 50% of my time in the gym waiting for some guy to finish curling in the only squat rack.
I'd echo previous comments because if you're only attending to do specific exercises, just buying the equipment would save you money long term.
Or, attempt to do those exercises without weights for a change.
Reply 9

does your new job pay you more than £50 a month more than your current job?

I think it probably does ...or you would likely not be leaving

most likely you CAN afford the extra £50 a month, but just don't want to... as £100 pounds on gym is a lot compared to what most people pay.

You need to make up your mind whether or not £50 extra a month is worth it for those weightlifting classes.

alternatively, just go to the gym after work [like most people with full time jobs with gym memberships do]
Original post by ANM775

most likely you CAN afford the extra £50 a month, but just don't want to... as £100 pounds on gym is a lot compared to what most people pay.

You need to make up your mind whether or not £50 extra a month is worth it for those weightlifting classes.

alternatively, just go to the gym after work [like most people with full time jobs with gym memberships do]

Good points.

OP - sounds like puregym etc would really bug your happiness so why not just pay it...?
Original post by ANM775

It’s the same pay, it’s not a promotion just moving to a new workbase so to speak. I can afford it, and having thought it over I’m going to see how it goes money wise - the gym is something I enjoy and a hobby, if it was just to keep fit then for sure it’s too much... but most people end up spending that extra £50 on a nightout or a takeaway... so put that way it doesn’t seem to bad!
To me that sounds crazy! It wouldn't be long before you could buy some of your own equipment. I'd probably change my schedule and work out at another time.
Original post by doodle_333
To me that sounds crazy! It wouldn't be long before you could buy some of your own equipment. I'd probably change my schedule and work out at another time.

I’d love to have my own little gym but not much room for that in my 1 bed flat unfortunately!
Original post by Unistudent77
You could try the puregym for a bit and see how busy it is when you want to train etc but in my experience they are rammed 24/7 and lifting in the morning is the only way PG is bearable.

My local PG was pretty quiet after 10pm, during afternoons and on weekends. Depends on your area I guess.
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
My local PG was pretty quiet after 10pm, during afternoons and on weekends. Depends on your area I guess.

Yeah I’d be going 6.30-7.30am usually so not ideal times.. still better than after work but stressfully busy nonetheless!

Quick Reply

Latest