Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi I’ve been to the open day today. I’m a bit unsure what to do next. I’m a mature (very 😂) at 28 years old student . I’m doing an access course. I really enjoy Biology, and I have been out of school for 12 years. I have also applied for zoology, but for some reason from before I even applied Sheffield Biology has stuck out to me. I’m just worried I won’t be as good as other students applying and feel overwhelmed like I can’t do it. I have thought about doing the foundation year even though I’ve been offered a place on the biology degree. I’m doing ok in biology now, although it is very quick paced and we only have say one lesson a week on Biology then an exam or assignment every few weeks so I don’t get a deep understanding of things before we are moving on to the next topic. I’m just unsure what to do or wether I’m worrying about nothing. Unfortunately today I couldn’t stay for the tour of the labs so didn’t get chance to ask anyone questions. Many thanks for getting this far x
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Ridinghigh95)
    Hi I’ve been to the open day today. I’m a bit unsure what to do next. I’m a mature (very 😂) at 28 years old student . I’m doing an access course. I really enjoy Biology, and I have been out of school for 12 years. I have also applied for zoology, but for some reason from before I even applied Sheffield Biology has stuck out to me. I’m just worried I won’t be as good as other students applying and feel overwhelmed like I can’t do it. I have thought about doing the foundation year even though I’ve been offered a place on the biology degree. I’m doing ok in biology now, although it is very quick paced and we only have say one lesson a week on Biology then an exam or assignment every few weeks so I don’t get a deep understanding of things before we are moving on to the next topic. I’m just unsure what to do or wether I’m worrying about nothing. Unfortunately today I couldn’t stay for the tour of the labs so didn’t get chance to ask anyone questions. Many thanks for getting this far x
    Hi there,

It is great that you are considering studying here with us at Sheffield Hallam University, and it is clear that the University has seen the potential you have by offering you a place on the biology degree.

Two of my best mates on my course are mature students, one is 40 and the other is 28 and she has a 6 year old son. They are by far the most passionate as they have chose to go back to study as they know what they want to do.

The first year of study at university is all about levelling everyones skills, so although you may all start at different levels you will all be at the same stage once you finish first year. Also due to your access course you will have developed a lot of key skills in your field and knowledge which will help you on your degree. My 28 year of course mate studied an access course and she had the upper hand in terms of skill than some of us that came to university straight out of sixth forms.

There is also lots of support available in terms of student services and your tutors will be more than happy to sit down and have a chat with you if you need.

Where is it that you are coming from? Are you local Sheffield?

I hope that helps, please let me know if you have any more questions.

Chandni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hallamstudents)
    Hi there,

It is great that you are considering studying here with us at Sheffield Hallam University, and it is clear that the University has seen the potential you have by offering you a place on the biology degree.

Two of my best mates on my course are mature students, one is 40 and the other is 28 and she has a 6 year old son. They are by far the most passionate as they have chose to go back to study as they know what they want to do.

The first year of study at university is all about levelling everyones skills, so although you may all start at different levels you will all be at the same stage once you finish first year. Also due to your access course you will have developed a lot of key skills in your field and knowledge which will help you on your degree. My 28 year of course mate studied an access course and she had the upper hand in terms of skill than some of us that came to university straight out of sixth forms.

There is also lots of support available in terms of student services and your tutors will be more than happy to sit down and have a chat with you if you need.

Where is it that you are coming from? Are you local Sheffield?

I hope that helps, please let me know if you have any more questions.

Chandni

Thanks for replying it was very helpful I live in Buxton which isn’t too far away . This has made me feel a lot better!! Thank you
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Thanks for replying it was very helpful I live in Buxton which isn’t too far away . This has made me feel a lot better!! Thank you
    No problem, glad we could help.

Good luck on your course! I am sure you will be great

Chandni
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi Ridinghigh95

I got in touch with one of the academic Kathy about your question and here is her response:

"First of all, congratulations on your offer. Please be assured that we have students from many different academic backgrounds on our courses and you would not have been made an offer on a BSc course if we did not feel that you have the potential to succeed. A lot of our labs, teaching and tutorial sessions at the beginning of our degree routes are designed to help bridge any skills or knowledge gaps applicants may have coming from different backgrounds, so we do offer a very supportive environment. There are also plenty of additional support sessions in essay writing and maths for example if you feel that you need a little bit extra.

We have another course open day on 15th April which you are very welcome to attend if you would like to stay for the lab experience session (this may help alleviate some of your concerns). Also, you may find it useful to visit our Biosciences & Chemistry departmental webpage where you will find links to Padlet pages – a tool to post any further questions you may have or to start up conversations with other offer applicants.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with.

Kathy"

Let me know if you have any more questions,
    Reanne

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sheffield Hallam University)
    Hi Ridinghigh95

I got in touch with one of the academic Kathy about your question and here is her response:

"First of all, congratulations on your offer. Please be assured that we have students from many different academic backgrounds on our courses and you would not have been made an offer on a BSc course if we did not feel that you have the potential to succeed. A lot of our labs, teaching and tutorial sessions at the beginning of our degree routes are designed to help bridge any skills or knowledge gaps applicants may have coming from different backgrounds, so we do offer a very supportive environment. There are also plenty of additional support sessions in essay writing and maths for example if you feel that you need a little bit extra.

We have another course open day on 15th April which you are very welcome to attend if you would like to stay for the lab experience session (this may help alleviate some of your concerns). Also, you may find it useful to visit our Biosciences & Chemistry departmental webpage where you will find links to Padlet pages – a tool to post any further questions you may have or to start up conversations with other offer applicants.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with.

Kathy"

Let me know if you have any more questions,
    Reanne
    Aww thank you I appreciate that. I am coming to the next open day so I can have a look around and chat again
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Aww thank you I appreciate that. I am coming to the next open day so I can have a look around and chat again
    Good! If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Reanne

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 26, 2018
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.