Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What GCSE options do I pick?! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm really confused about what options to pick. Some compulsory options I have to pick are RE, Maths, English, Science and a humanity (geography or history). I also need to pick one more subject, I'm considering choosing psychology but I am a little worried it might be too hard. Please give me some advice on whether I should pick geography or history and opinions on psychology. Any answers would really help me, especially from people who have done their GCSE's and chosen these subjects.Thank you so much. xx

ReputationRep:
    Humanities: I do Geography, and it' pretty fun, as I am really interested in natural phenomenons. History is a lot of work, people in my Year (11) have 3 full lever arch ring binders, but depending on what topics your school chooses to do, it is pretty fun

Psychology: Our school doesn't offer it as a GCSE (only at A-Level) so I assume it's pretty hard, but I don't know. Wait for another reply before deciding whether to do this or not.

Hope that helps,

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Thank you so much that really helped for geography. Do you have any experiences about sociology?, a subject I have also considered.
    Once again thanks so much.

ReputationRep:
    I do History at the moment and it is definitely interesting. I would definitely agree it is a lot of work (depending on the syllabus). I'm doing Edexcel IGCSE history and there's 4 textbooks and 3 exams :/

ReputationRep:
    You have to remember a lot of case studies for geography, but then again for history you need to remember dates etc.

I would say do psychology if you would be interested in it.

Just because it is only offered at A-Level in some schools doesn't mean it is difficult.
    Psychology is quite a popular A-Level, and there may only be one teacher for it.

Just pick the subjects you enjoy / are good at now.

I would say pick one you haven't done yet if it sounds interesting.

For example, I enjoy DT, French and science, so I picked DT, French and triple science.
    I haven't done computer science before (only IT), but I picked that as I am very interested in it outside of school ,and it sounds interesting.

By the way I am in year 9

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much, this really helped.

ReputationRep:
    Pick whatever subjects you enjoy or think you'll enjoy
    I do geography and I love it, I think we have less work to do than people doing history and it's easier for me to remember it all.
    I haven't ever done psychology so I couldn't advise you on it but if you don't like it or find it to hard you're usually given 2 weeks to swap to a different option.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I did geography and I hated it. That isn’t to say that you will too but I personally just really did not enjoy it and regret taking it. My advice would be to take history because a few of my friends did it and really enjoyed it but it’s down to you at the end of the day. You have to go with what you think would interest you more.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.