The Student Room Group

Help!! PGCE secondary reference??

EDIT: question 2 - removing a referee's details from my ucas application will cancel the reference request, right? now I'm worried that my reference will come through after removing them when I'd prefer to put down another person

I have completed my PGCE application and I have my principle reference in (from my university lecturer) - I am all ready (and anxious) to submit my application, but I'm struggling with getting a secondary reference.

I planned to have the teacher I shadowed during my recent school experience do my reference for me. I was going to have 2 weeks there and he said he would be happy to do it when I asked him originally.

However, he takes ages to reply to my emails (like a week and a half between between each one) and when he does, he won't answer me as to whether or not he is still able to do my reference. Furthermore, he only offered me 3 days of experience in the end when originally I was expecting 10 days. Even though I'm planning on arranging further experience elsewhere, it took me three months to arrange this one and I can't risk waiting another 3 or 4 months to find another school, another placement, and wait on another secondary referee. But I am worried that he is going to finally reply to me telling me he won't do my reference after all, and perhaps three days isn't enough time to get a good enough idea of me to write me one anyway.

The only other option I can think of is a geography teacher at the same school who was my old geography teacher. She knew me from 11-16, she loved me, I was a great student for her, and she remembers me and has mentioned wanting to see me. I'm applying for history not geography, and I did not get a chance to even talk to her while I was at the school and she hasn't known me since I was 16 (I'm 26 now). Regardless - would she be a better person to ask for a secondary reference? Could I perhaps ask her if I could observe even one day in school with her, to reacquaint myself with her - and would this qualify her as a suitable referee? I imagine she would be a much more enthusiastic referee than the teacher I actually shadowed, and has a much better idea of my character - even though it's been 10 years since we knew each other, she at least knew me for 5 years as opposed to 3 days.

Please help! Panicking
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by vrv
I have completed my PGCE application and I have my principle reference in (from my university lecturer) - I am all ready (and anxious) to submit my application, but I'm struggling with getting a secondary reference.

I planned to have the teacher I shadowed during my recent school experience do my reference for me. I was going to have 2 weeks there and he said he would be happy to do it when I asked him originally.

However, he takes ages to reply to my emails (like a week and a half between between each one) and when he does, he won't answer me as to whether or not he is still able to do my reference. Furthermore, he only offered me 3 days of experience in the end when originally I was expecting 10 days. Even though I'm planning on arranging further experience elsewhere, it took me three months to arrange this one and I can't risk waiting another 3 or 4 months to find another school, another placement, and wait on another secondary referee. But I am worried that he is going to finally reply to me telling me he won't do my reference after all, and perhaps three days isn't enough time to get a good enough idea of me to write me one anyway.

The only other option I can think of is a geography teacher at the same school who was my old geography teacher. She knew me from 11-16, she loved me, I was a great student for her, and she remembers me and has mentioned wanting to see me. I'm applying for history not geography, and I did not get a chance to even talk to her while I was at the school and she hasn't known me since I was 16 (I'm 26 now). Regardless - would she be a better person to ask for a secondary reference? Could I perhaps ask her if I could observe even one day in school with her, to reacquaint myself with her - and would this qualify her as a suitable referee? I imagine she would be a much more enthusiastic referee than the teacher I actually shadowed, and has a much better idea of my character - even though it's been 10 years since we knew each other, she at least knew me for 5 years as opposed to 3 days.

Please help! Panicking

My second referee was someone who knew me from my town; it doesn't have to be a teacher. You could use a former employer for example.
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
My second referee was someone who knew me from my town; it doesn't have to be a teacher. You could use a former employer for example.

Ah! That's great news.

So would my geography teacher be suitable after all?

My employers are probably not the greatest idea - my first employer only knew me as a miserable teenager who spoke to noone; my second was at a restaurant where I ended up dating my employer, falling out with them and then getting fired :colondollar:; and my last two jobs were temporary retail jobs where I imagine I was forgotten instantly the moment I left
Original post by vrv
Ah! That's great news.

So would my geography teacher be suitable after all?

My employers are probably not the greatest idea - my first employer only knew me as a miserable teenager who spoke to noone; my second was at a restaurant where I ended up dating my employer, falling out with them and then getting fired :colondollar:; and my last two jobs were temporary retail jobs where I imagine I was forgotten instantly the moment I left

Hmm - if your teacher has not really known you since you left school that might be too long ago. Ask your mentor what they think.
Reply 4
Hmm - if your teacher has not really known you since you left school that might be too long ago. Ask your mentor what they think.

Mentor?

If I was to get even 1 day of experience at the school with my geography teacher, would that not qualify her as a referee? She would certainly be more qualified to write me a reference than the guy who never met before those 3 days of experience with him.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by vrv
Mentor?

If I was to get even 1 day of experience at the school with my geography teacher, would that not qualify her as a referee? She would certainly be more qualified to write me a reference than the guy who never met before those 3 days of experience with him.

Don't you have someone else at uni that knows you well like a personal tutor?
Reply 6
Don't you have someone else at uni that knows you well like a personal tutor?

No, not really. I dont even remember who my personal tutor was.
Reply 7
Can anyone suggest an alternative secondary referee?

Quick Reply